Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #17866
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Dr. Drib - I remember reading that many years ago, and it certainly qualifies as chilling! Not sure I could even read it now. My tolerance for horror stories like that has definitely decreased.

Interestingly, the horror it contains seems to resonate more in this day and age, especially with the increased awareness of serial killers and the propensity for continued violence from disturbed individuals.

The novel, in my opinion, is very current and insightful - horrifyingly so.

don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #17867
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Thanks for that. A friend gave me a copy of A Maggot a while back which I haven't read. I've never read Fowles - and I have no problem with chilling, disturbing or even mind-bendingly terrifying.

This is only the second novel I've read by him. The other one was "The Magus," one that I read when in my mid-twenties. That novel, as they say, blew me away. It may be one of those novels that is more appropriate for a certain age group, such as discovering Thomas Wolfe, when at a young age.

One that I have yet to read is "The French Lieutenant's Woman," but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #17868
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I actually started Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch instead. Looking like a good sequel so far. (Although I'd have preferred a more linear narrative at the start, I can understand why it was done as it was.)
And an excellent adventure it was too, although parts of the ending were a bit disappointing (they involved the main character having made an avoidable mistake).

I'm looking forward to the next volume, although I'll wait for it to become available at a good price.

Next up: Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer. Bought when they were on sale at the late BooksOnBoard shop.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #17869
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
One that I have yet to read is "The French Lieutenant's Woman," but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
I read The French Lieutenant's Woman back in the early 1970's. It was probably my favorite book I read in that decade. I still remember the beautiful last paragraph pretty much word for word. Must have struck a chord. It influenced my reading choices for years, sending me on a Thomas Hardy and existentialist binge. I then spent the 1980's reading all of Thomas Merton as an antidote, while also trying to lighten up. Ah, youth.

The Magus and The Collector were very different books, but I loved the way he wrote anything.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #17870
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This is only the second novel I've read by him. The other one was "The Magus," one that I read when in my mid-twenties. That novel, as they say, blew me away. It may be one of those novels that is more appropriate for a certain age group, such as discovering Thomas Wolfe, when at a young age.

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I read The French Lieutenant's Woman back in the early 1970's. It was probably my favorite book I read in that decade. I still remember the beautiful last paragraph pretty much word for word. Must have struck a chord. It influenced my reading choices for years, sending me on a Thomas Hardy and existentialist binge. I then spent the 1980's reading all of Thomas Merton as an antidote, while also trying to lighten up. Ah, youth.

The Magus and The Collector were very different books, but I loved the way he wrote anything.
Loved both the Magus (can't pretend I really understood the end, though) and The Collector, but despite trying three times (!) I could never finish The French Lieutenant's Woman. Perhaps I was too much of a callow youth, more in search of horrible happenings or the eternal search for the meaning of life, rather than what I saw as a rather turgid romance story. As I say, callow youth...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #17871
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished Before they are Hanged. Second in the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. I'm am really enjoying this gritty medieval sword and sorcery. Moving onto the last piece of the trilogy, The Last Argument of Kings.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #17872
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Loved both the Magus (can't pretend I really understood the end, though) and The Collector, but despite trying three times (!) I could never finish The French Lieutenant's Woman. Perhaps I was too much of a callow youth, more in search of horrible happenings or the eternal search for the meaning of life, rather than what I saw as a rather turgid romance story. As I say, callow youth...
I had the advantage of devouring Victorian novels through my teens, as well as an infatuation with Victorian poets, especially Tennyson and Arnold, probably necessary to really enjoy this book. So while I likely began The French Lieutenant's Woman expecting a conventional romance, I was soon charmed by what I took to be the author's intention to portray and examine Victorian angst, manners, and culture. I loved the ending(s) and was influenced by what it all may have meant about the meaning of life as only the young can be.

I just bought it to read again. I'm curious to know what I will think of it 40+ years later.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #17873
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I had the advantage of devouring Victorian novels through my teens, as well as an infatuation with Victorian poets, especially Tennyson and Arnold, probably necessary to really enjoy this book. So while I likely began The French Lieutenant's Woman expecting a conventional romance, I was soon charmed by what I took to be the author's intention to portray and examine Victorian angst, manners, and culture. I loved the ending(s) and was influenced by what it all may have meant about the meaning of life as only the young can be.

I just bought it to read again. I'm curious to know what I will think of it 40+ years later.
I had a hard time trying to read The French Lieutenant's Woman back in the day; for some reason (probably immaturity) I just could not get into it. Thanks for the recommendation; I should give it another go.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:51 PM   #17874
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Anyone already read Scott Turow's "Identical"? I think I read some previews of the book. It is coming out October 13th.

Last edited by bcgirl; 10-09-2013 at 12:35 AM.
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #17875
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I am reading Along Came a Spider by James Patterson. I am ashamed to say that this is only the second book by him that I have read, with the first being NYPD RED. It's really good so far, and I am glad that I ordered the 2nd and 3rd titles in the series. I really like what he has done with the characterisation of Alex Cross.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #17876
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Re-reading for the umpteenth time W. Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge. I liked the 1984 movie starring Bill Murray as well ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 12:56 AM   #17877
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Reading several novellas in the Honorverse before I finish up War of Honor and move on to Crown of Slaves. I want to cement some of that back story.

I must say, I'm really enjoying this re-read. Most of it is as an Audible book.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #17878
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I finished the first book in the new Star Trek series, The Fall: Revelation and Dust by David R. George III, which was a Deep Space Nine book. It was kind of slow but there were some good parts as well.

I have started Heir of Novron by Michael J. Sullivan, the last books in the Riyria Revelations series. Greatly enjoying these books.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #17879
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I have started Heir of Novron by Michael J. Sullivan, the last books in the Riyria Revelations series. Greatly enjoying these books.
I just started the first book in his next series which is a prequel series, I really enjoy Michael J. Sullivan's books, too.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:26 PM   #17880
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Still waiting for The Bone Collector so I will probably read Agent of Change by Sharon Lee in the mean time. This is part of a series that I haven't read before, so maybe I am pushing my luck. Oh well. I only need 270 pages to complete my goal for the year, so this should wrap that up too.
Another good read. I am going to get myself overwhelmed with the amount of good stories I need to catch up on.

It also completed my yearly page challenge almost a month earlier than last year. And that was with an increased goal. Maybe I need to up it again for next year.

Nothing has arrived from the library yet so, I need to decide on something else tonight.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote