Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Do you shut off your jbl when finished reading?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but my Kindle1 has a "rest" mode that is supposed to conserve battery life. Since the jbl uses regular AA batteries, I want to make sure we get the longest usage on them possible. But it seems that sometimes you can use more battery turning things off & on than just leaving it on. What does everyone else do?
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
The JBL defaults to going into standby after 5 minutes of non-use. You can change this setting in the settings menu. The standby mode uses a minimal amount of battery... it would probably take a couple weeks for it to drain. The 20-ish hours of battery life you get refers to active reading.

The only way to turn the unit completely off is to hit the reset button, which forces it to do a full (slloooooow) startup. I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Mostly I turn mine off (standby mode) Sometimes it goes into autoshutoff mode first.
Nice thing about it is that when you start it up, your right where you left off.

I watched my dad read backwards for years. As he started to fall asleep while reading his grip would loosen, and the paperback would flip back a few pages. He'd snort, wake up, read a page or do and repeat the process.

Being able to set when the auto shutoff kicks in is nice.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
clerky96
Connoisseur
clerky96 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you! That is exactly what I wanted to know. The instructions that came with the jbl leave "much to be desired". Seems like they could at least spring for a real instruction booklet.
clerky96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
The only way to turn the unit completely off is to hit the reset button...
I didn't know that! I've been returning to the first screen each time that I have been turning it off, and I've been turning it off whenever I put the device down for a little while. Apparently that is all unnecessary.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Power down mode

Even hitting reset does not power the unit down.

The hardware design of the JB keeps the CPU in very low power mode at all times. The CPU has to wait for an interrupt from a key being pressed to wake up and start up the unit.

If you let the JB timeout or press the power button this puts the Strongarm processor into sleep mode, waiting for a button press to wake it up.

If you press the reset button the cpu still enters sleep mode, it has to wait for the interrupt from the power button being pressed to activate power and then go through the power on self test (POST). That is why it takes so long to start up after a reset.

I have never made a test, but I would assume ( I know dangerous ) the batteries on a JBL will last about 1 month without being turned on. The JB would be a little longer on the internal lion batteries.

The only way to consume NO power is to remove the battery. I would recommend that if you are not going to use your JBL for several weeks that you remove the batteries entirely from the unit.

Unfortunately there is no solution for the people that own the JB at this time.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I didn't know that! I've been returning to the first screen each time that I have been turning it off, and I've been turning it off whenever I put the device down for a little while. Apparently that is all unnecessary.
I just press the Power button to turn off, or if I forget - my JBL turns itself off after 5 minutes anyway (you can change this setting but I find 5 mins is about right). When I press the Power button to turn back on, it starts *in seconds* right where I left off reading. No need to return to opening screen at all. This device is SOOO EASYYY to use, I like it better than "real" i.e. print books now!
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Right, I think the JBL is still living up to the ideal of a dedicated function device,
I just hope that it remains so even if it adds features, down the line.

Too many devices start out well made to address a specific function/use, then
try to be all things to everone and loose the thing that made them so useful.

I can read my ebooks on a number of platforms, including a 9" netbook, but even
that is not as convenient as just picking up the JBL and pushing the on button to
go right to where I left off, when I last put it down.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
black cat
black cat began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
I've just got my jb for about one week. I like it but I've a problem to turn it on after two days not using it. When I push the power button (with an sd card inserted), it takes about five seconds to turn on and get to the main menu, for about two seconds, then it turn off immediately. If I remove the SD card before it turned on, I still get the same problem, and I have to "trick" it by opening any book in the folder, before it get turn off itself. Does anyone have this problem? I haven't recharged my jb since I received it because the battery display is still full, and I wonder whether that causes this problem.
TY in advance
black cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Well first off I always leave mine "in" a book when I put it into sleep mode.

Sounds like yours is getting a full shut down for some reason.
Doesn't seem right.

There is a setting for autoshutoff, you might check that.
I think the default is 3 min, you might try setting it to 5 min. See if that makes a difference.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Black Cat, I think that you are pressing the power button too long. Try pressing it for just a second, then wait maybe three seconds. It should then come on and stay on.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
black cat
black cat began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
Hi Russel! Thanks for your advice. The problem is solved by pressing the power button for just a second. I've no idea that pressing it too long would cause a problem. Thank you, GhostHawk for trying to help me..
black cat is offline   Reply With Quote