Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-27-2009, 10:31 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
Thanks for this very instructive post!
I was not aware that the switches on the previous Irex were finger sensing.

I hate theses kinds of switches, I had a Samsung LCD that used finger sensing switches for the menu and it was annoying as hell to set it up, I would not want to have the same user experience every time I read a book.

I always wait for some reviews and feedback before buying any devices, as just returning the devices if I don't like it is difficult as I have to order internationally.
The capacitative switches on the DR1000 work just fine, in my experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #17
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
Not fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The capacitative switches on the DR1000 work just fine, in my experience.
That is a strange statement.

Is your battery life not affected by the capacitive switches?
Is your unit not using power while off because of the switches?
Doesn't it happen to you that you accidentally swipe one of the buttons while reading? That because you have to hold the reader by a corner your hand gets tired?
Did it never happen that you put the reader in the bag, and while doing that accidentally touched a button without noticing?
Did it never happen that you put the reader near a wireless source and the buttons started acting up?
Can you activate the buttons with the pen while writing?

I think the buttons were a horrible choice. A choice like - "lets see if we can make buttons that are worse than the Kindle's"

Maybe what you meant is: after some use you get used to the buttons, so the DR1000 does what it was meant to. But I wouldn't say "they work just fine."
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #18
Kent Walters
Connoisseur
Kent Walters has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iRex DR1000S, Astak EZreader (Hanlin V3)
HarryT; Whaaat?

HarryT,

To ghostwheel’s comments and questions I add the following: Have you never touched a button twice, because of a slow response, only to find that two touches were entered? Have you ever handed your DR to someone else, so that they could read something, and had them accidently turn the page by getting a thumb too near a button?

When I read on my Hanlin, I hold the thing with my thumb on the Page Turn button--when I finish a page, I press the button and feel the tactile ‘click’ and know that my press has registered. Every time, the Hanlin’s response is exactly as I intended, and I suffer no distractions from what it is I intend to do--read, and not be distracted, frustrated and annoyed.

I’m glad that you find any of this “just fine,” but I have to wonder what, if anything, you might object to, and I will ask what possible advantage you might see to having these switches on the DR might be; that is, how does anyone benifit from them.

Kent Walters

Last edited by Kent Walters; 09-27-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Kent Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
That is a strange statement.
Doesn't seem strange to me, I've had the same experience.

Quote:
Not that I can tell. What would I compare it with?

Quote:
Not that I can tell, and as far as I know, ALL lithium powered devices lose power even when turned off.

Quote:
Doesn't it happen to you that you accidentally swipe one of the buttons while reading?
That because you have to hold the reader by a corner your hand gets tired?
No and No.

Quote:
Did it never happen that you put the reader in the bag, and while doing that accidentally touched a button without noticing?
There's a bag??

Quote:
Did it never happen that you put the reader near a wireless source and the buttons started acting up?
Nope, that's never happened, not once.

Quote:
Can you activate the buttons with the pen while writing?
I have no idea, and frankly don't want to try. That sounds like it could damage my pen.

Quote:
I think the buttons were a horrible choice. A choice like - "lets see if we can make buttons that are worse than the Kindle's"
Uh, I like the buttons on my Kindle, thanks.

Quote:
Maybe what you meant is: after some use you get used to the buttons, so the DR1000 does what it was meant to. But I wouldn't say "they work just fine."
Nope. I'll say it. The buttons on the DR 1000s work as intended and that is just fine, thanks.

Last edited by PhishStyx; 09-27-2009 at 07:39 PM.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #20
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by martienne View Post
Availability:
US from "October" (unspecified) and only at a chain called Bestbuy which ships within US only and "cancels orders to known mailforwarding companies".
Europe from early 2010.

I am trying to figure out how I can get hold of this model immediately after the US launch despite being in Europe.

You can use shipito or a similar service. They give you a US delivery address, you buy the reader online and it is shipped to that address. They will then forward it to you. I did use their service several times.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #21
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
If the PRS-900 comes out at the same price ($399), then I would think people will get the more popular brand... Heck, people will probably pay more for the brand they know.
Yes i agree but Sony has that unfortunate touch layer that diminishes its readability like the 600 and the form factor of the 900 is strange and yet to be tested in real world usability tests
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:20 AM   #22
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
More people might get the Sony. But the Irex seems to be the better device. It has a bigger and better screen.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #23
schmolch
Connoisseur
schmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it isschmolch knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
That pen looks huge, can it fit into the reader?
schmolch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #24
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolch View Post
I'm guessing that's the "executive" pen and is sold as an option. Generally, the pen that comes with the iRex devices is pretty slim, and fits into a slot in the back.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #25
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
How much power do they draw? Is it significant? Would battery life be noticeably longer without them, or would it not make a real difference?

Quote:
Same questions. Do you know that it would use significantly less power while off, or is that just a theory.

Sure, in theory they are drawing power. But is it anything that would make a real difference? Would you get several hours more battery life without them, or just a couple extra minutes?

I don't know the answer to that. Do you?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #26
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
That seems to be a good theory. My DR1000 loses approx. 3-5% of battery power each night while turned off. What else could draw battery power?
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #27
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolch View Post
It fits into a loop on the leather cover, above the device in portrait mode, see PHOTOS: iRex DR800SG ebook reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #28
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
That seems to be a good theory. My DR1000 loses approx. 3-5% of battery power each night while turned off. What else could draw battery power?
Lithium batteries naturally lose charge over time. Also, there are still outstanding bugs in the DR that cause power loss because the unit is not shutting down correctly. Do you know that your loss isn't due to one of those?

I'm not disputing the theory, but many people are treating it as if it's a significant problem. I don't think anybody really knows if that's true, they're just assuming it is.

Has anyone seen real numbers for how much power the buttons draw when not in use? I'd prefer to base the theory off of facts instead of assumptions.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:25 PM   #29
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
the flashing light could be a problem. one of their techs should just tell us.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #30
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
LinuxDevices has an article, 3G-ready e-book reader boasts 8.1-inch display, that seems to provide some new information. I'm not sure how much of it is directly from iRex though. For example, Karel (IREX turns page on eReaders with latest Digital Reader) confirmed that it has a SD card slot rather than a microSD slot.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dr800sg, irex, wireless