Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
[K3] Running update_k3-3.1-create_updater.bin on 3.4 firmware

So I wanted to prep the 3.4-based DXG update file with the Yifan Lu's script, but it doesn't seem to work as I guess the jailbreak is gone after the 3.4 update.

The old (version 10) 3.2.1-based JB doesn't work on 3.4, so is there a 3.4-specific jailbreak?

Last edited by stangri; 09-20-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Nilujes JB works fine. Fonts + SS Hacks page (dunno about for a dx, I guess so, it was in the list)
Advert
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@stangri: Nope, the JailBreak still works on 3.4. What you might be missing is an item in the jailbreak whitelist to let the DXG prep stuff run.

AFAIR, I added it a while back, so try replacing your linkjail/etc/whitelist file with the one from the latest zip package. If it doesn't help, check the filename of the package you're trying to run, and add it to the whitelist (and forward it to me if it's really not in the latest version ).
Old 09-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know how it goes.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:42 AM   #5
danan72
danan72 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, KPW2
Unfortunately localizations don't work at 3.4
eg polish locatization look like this:
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Made already the same experience with german loc. Probably I will have look at, but not the next 2 weeks. Some pages are translated i.e. in settings, but menu is looking there the same. Had to go via factory reset back to english, even uninstall did not work for me.
BTW, did you compile for 3.4 or have you been successful installing the "old" version?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #7
stangri
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@stangri: Nope, the JailBreak still works on 3.4. What you might be missing is an item in the jailbreak whitelist to let the DXG prep stuff run.

AFAIR, I added it a while back, so try replacing your linkjail/etc/whitelist file with the one from the latest zip package. If it doesn't help, check the filename of the package you're trying to run, and add it to the whitelist (and forward it to me if it's really not in the latest version ).
Oh, btw, if I had the jailbroken 3.2.1 which I have manually updated to 3.4 -- would my JB keep? If so, howcome the JB errored out when I tried to run in on 3.4?

Last edited by stangri; 09-15-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@stangri: You're confusing the version strings of multiple things, which means I can't make heads or tails of what you're trying to ask, sorry .

Good news, though: the next jailbreak update *should* get rid of the whole whitelist system, and autodetect stuff properly instead.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
stangri
Addict

Ok, so I've got a fresh 3.4 K3 and I've just installed the version 11 jailbreak on it. When I put the update_k3-3.1-create_updater.bin into the root of it (over USB) the Update your Kindle menu is greyed out even tho this file name is in the whitelist.

When I just reboot the Kindle it says update was not successful.

I would appreciate any help on how to run the create-updater on the new 3.4 K3 firmware.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@stangri: Wrong file for your Kindle model. Check your S/N again.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
stangri
Addict

@NiLuJe actually it's the correct file, the file naming for the updater script is different from everything else. But I have tried other files too and they do not run either.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@stangri: Nope, it's really not . What's the beginning of the S/N on your device?

(And, FWIW, the whitelist is deprecated in 0.11.N, and has nothing to do with the lighting up of the 'UYK' link, that's completely handled by the Kindle).
Old 09-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

FWIW:

update_k3-3.1-create_updater.bin => Kindle 3 Wifi+3G (B006) [What I usually call k3g]
update_k3g-3.1-create_updater.bin => Kindle 3 Wifi+3G Europe (B00A) [What I usually call k3gb]
update_k3w-3.1-create_updater.bin => Kindle 3 Wifi (B008) [What I usually call k3w]

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-20-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
@NiLuJu Just adopted that practice myself for the Kindle Knowledge structure.
Indexing by "first 4" with tags and/or notations of the more common names that have been in use.

Still mostly empty pages there, so a good time to revamp how things are presented to the reader. After I have had a good night's sleep, will implement more of the different scheme.

It will be interesting to see how Amazon numbers things, because with the introduction of the Kpw - it is either part of the "5" series or jumps to "7 or greater" because the Fire is "6".
So I am expecting some numbering problems here with the K2, K3, K4, K5 ... terminology.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@knc1: It would go to 8, the Fire HD apparently runs FW 7.x...

Speaking of S/N, I updated & tagged the Kindle S/N wiki page, and reordered it to follow the enum in KindleTool, so it'd be easier/faster for me to update.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Closed Thread