Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #16
Yellowman1
Edge User

Ok, I'm trying to rebuild the Skyfire Android to work on full screen using ChriF's program but I can't seem to get it to work. I have installed the program, I have moved the Skyfire Apk into the correct folder, I can pick the Apk file from the drop down list, I click on Decode and the program does what it does, then when I click on Edit XML File or Rebuild Android App, all I get is it can't find a certain path (which actually is the same path the Apk file was placed in the first place). What am I doing wrong? I should point that I don't know what to do with the second step in ChrisF's instructions (highlighted below), so I didn't do anything with that step (I skipped it, is that the problem?).

Please, if anyone can help I'll really appreciate. I'm stumped right now and starting to feel stupid

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
A while back euser1 posted a nice guide on how to use an tool to decode/change/and rebuild apk files to work full screen on the eDGe. Needless to say I jumped right on this and started trying to convert everything I had to fullscreen. This led to a wide gamut of outcomes. From triumph (working) to utter defeat (losing my 'My Documents' folder). I came to the realization that a GUI would be nice to prevent those very pesky typos that cause problems in command line programs. Thus AndroidAppDecoder is born.

AndroidAppDecoder is a simple HTA (HTML Application) that presents a user interface and menus to control APKTool. I have only been able to test this on Window XP and only on 3 different computers. Because of these limitations I consider this 'late beta' quality.

Instructions:
Because this uses Jarsigner you must have a Java Development Kit (jdk) installed on your computer.
*You will be asked to install a jdk if this file cannot find one installed.
*Java JDK Download Link
*Jarsigner is java's tool to digitally sign files. Android requires all Apk files to be signed.

I know many of you are just as paranoid about internet downloads as I am therefore this is 'open source' because It uses Visual Basic and HTML code it is able to be viewed at plain text. Simply right-click AndroidAppDecoder.hta and open with Notepad to review the code.

Please post any questions or feedback and I will do my best to address it.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #17
cheyennedonna
Edge User

The path and/or the apk cannot contain any spaces or the decoder doesn't work. If you are running the decoder from a folder with spaces in the name you will need to move it or rename it.

Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
Yellowman1
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyennedonna View Post
That happened to me several times as well (with different apk files). I closed the program and retried, in all cases it completed correctly on the 2nd or 3rd attempt.
I have tried several times with the Skyfire apk file (at least 7-8 times) and I cannot get it to get out of that Error. Any ideas?

Old 05-12-2010, 01:37 PM   #19
Yellowman1
Edge User

Quote:
The path and/or the apk cannot contain any spaces or the decoder doesn't work. If you are running the decoder from a folder with spaces in the name you will need to move it or rename it.
Thanks for your response.

I couldn't get it to work on my XP computer, but I got it to work on my Windows 7 laptop. However now I am stuck at the Error stage when trying to Rebuild the file and I cannot get that to work for me. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Old 05-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #20
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Try putting the decoder on a thumb drive and using the XP computer again. It worked for me that way after I removed any spaces in apk file names.

Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #21
Yellowman1
Edge User

Quote:
Try putting the decoder on a thumb drive and using the XP computer again. It worked for me that way after I removed any spaces in apk file names.
I was running it off a jump/thumb drive before I decided to run it off the hard drive. Still not working on the XP machine (there were no spaces in the file name) and the Windows 7 still wont get past the Error. Can I email you the file and you give it a shot? I'll PM you my email address you can let me know if you want me to email you the file.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:40 AM   #22
Canis_Dirus
Edge User

Quote:
A while back...
Worked like a charm, first time, all systems go.

Thanks very much for posting this!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:04 AM   #23
ChrisF
Edge User

Thank you all for your feedback. I am noticing that a large majority of the errors being reported are centered around skyfire. It is humorous is that that specific error was implemented because skyfire had hangups for me when I was changing it by hand with APKtool. Occasionally APKtool just stops responding and hangs on a rebuild regardless if I use the HTA or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowman1 View Post
I have tried several times with the Skyfire apk file (at least 7-8 times) and I cannot get it to get out of that Error. Any ideas?
Would you mind posting or emailing me the contents of the text box that appears below that error message? I have a suspicion that there is an error in the output along the lines of "jarsigner is not a recognized command" In which case that means that your JDK was not properly added to your path variable and therefore java files, namely jarsigner, cannot be used by command line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowman1 View Post
I should point that I don't know what to do with the second step in ChrisF's instructions so I didn't do anything with that step (I skipped it, is that the problem?).
APKtool is released under the apache2 open source license. That "step" is just legal jargon that needs to be with APKtool where it is distributed. Not reading the license will have no impact on the tool's performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafix View Post
I was trying to rebuild the "Skyfire-Android" but after I clicked on the Build Android App Button, it gives me an error:
ERROR: Cannot verify file signature, please delete the files and try again.
(This may be due to very large apk files.)
Would you mind posting or emailing me the contents of the text box that appears below that error message? This might be the same issue yellowman is experiencing.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #24
ChrisF
Edge User

A quick update. I've almost finished changing and testing a new release version. I'm still looking for another windows 7 machine to test on because it seems many of the reported errors occurred on that OS. I plan to have this uploaded and ready for everyone by Saturday.

The next update will fix:
Support for spaces in Apk and folder names.
Changes supportedSscreen attributes in the manifest file.
More reliable JDK recognition, and failure recovery.
Option to increase decoding speed.
Option to run zipalign to increase the RAM performance on the eDGe.(recommended by Android.org)
Implemented a preferences file to save information. (Stops JDK registry query on every initialization.)

Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
DavidC
Edge User

Instructions:[LIST][*]Download http://www.mediafire.com/file/3iimyy...ppsDecoder.zip the .zip file. I have already included the required files from ApkTool.

I am unable to reach this link on 2 machines I have tried. Has this been moved? Did I miss that (forgive me if I did)

Also, since so many used this specifically for Skyfire... anybody want to just post a copy of the edited Skyfire file for download? (If that breaks any license agreements it is unintentional)

Old 05-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #26
10tklz
Edge User

I use linux, will this work running in wine? Has it been tested?

Old 05-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #27
Yellowman1
Edge User

Quote:
Would you mind posting or emailing me the contents of the text box that appears below that error message? I have a suspicion that there is an error in the output along the lines of "jarsigner is not a recognized command" In which case that means that your JDK was not properly added to your path variable and therefore java files, namely jarsigner, cannot be used by command line.

APKtool is released under the apache2 open source license. That "step" is just legal jargon that needs to be with APKtool where it is distributed. Not reading the license will have no impact on the tool's performance.

Would you mind posting or emailing me the contents of the text box that appears below that error message? This might be the same issue yellowman is experiencing.
Here is the content of the text box. I have screen shots too but I cannot attach them here or send them through PM, so if you PM me your email address I will email them to you.

May 12, 2010 1:22:27 PM brut.androlib.Androlib buildSourcesSmali
INFO: Smaling...
May 12, 2010 1:22:33 PM brut.androlib.Androlib buildResourcesFull
INFO: Building resources...
May 12, 2010 1:22:36 PM brut.androlib.Androlib buildApk
INFO: Building apk file...
'jarsigner' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'jarsigner' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

D:\AppsDecoder\AppsDecoder>echo Building and signing App com.skyfire.browser.apk
Building and signing App com.skyfire.browser.apk

D:\AppsDecoder\AppsDecoder>cd /D D:\AppsDecoder\AppsDecoder

D:\AppsDecoder\AppsDecoder>java -jar apktool.jar -v b -f Apps\com.skyfire.browser

D:\AppsDecoder\AppsDecoder>jarsigner -keystore eDGe.keystore -storePass eDGe12 -keypass eDGe12 -signedjar RebuiltApps\com.skyfire.browser_Rebuilt.apk Apps\com.skyfire.browser\dist\out.apk eDGe

D:\AppsDecoder\AppsDecoder>jarsigner -verify RebuiltApps\com.skyfire.browser_Rebuilt.apk

D:\AppsDecoder\AppsDecoder>

Old 05-13-2010, 01:51 PM   #28
ChrisF
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10tklz View Post
I use linux, will this work running in wine? Has it been tested?
I have not tested this in wine yet. I'll give it a try on ubuntu when I can.

Thank you yellowman. I have a fix for the error you are experiencing in the works. The problem is: 'jarsigner' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #29
Yellowman1
Edge User

Quote:
I have not tested this in wine yet. I'll give it a try on ubuntu when I can.

Thank you yellowman. I have a fix for the error you are experiencing in the works. The problem is: 'jarsigner' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Thank you for working on this. Any ETA on when the fix will be ready for download?

Old 05-14-2010, 05:02 AM   #30
robot
Edge User

To make it work under vista\win7 you need to run it under admin (root) account and comment the line where you check if obj.file.type="APK File".