Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
klonuo
klonuo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Library management, PDF tags issues (new user)

Hi,
I just downloaded yesterday Calibre, and must express my greeting to it author/team for making such pleasure software - great experience.

My main reason for downloading was taking advantage of conversion feature in Calibre for my Nokia smartphone (which is not ebook-centric as iPhone or Android are) but then working inside the program is much nicer than when I first tried it long time ago.
I still haven't decided if I'll use any available ebook management programs, but there aren't any worth mentioning IMHO. Probably too many formats, complicated tagging systems, user preferences...

As I said I liked this new Calibre experience, I tried it again and have some issues regarding using Calibre's Library Management that I want to address:

Most important to me: Please don't touch my files:

This is addressed in FAQ, but answer was not enough
I spend some time making python automation to clean (ghostscript), then tag (Google Books and pdfmark file with ghostscript), then add covers to my files and they are sitting where I want them - in one folder per format with fast accessible CSV root file containing all the info I need. I understand that for most users, copying/moving files without user confirmation (ala iTunes) is OK, as just dropping the file in Calibre and letting it take care of rest is indeed very helpful. But I don't appreciate separate folder for every ebook starting with Author name then Title and so on, as this scheme is only valid if I use only Calibre. Don't want to imagine browsing with file manager through that tree, or having two copies of the same files. But then even if don't have anything against this scheme:

Calibre doesn't read PDF 1.3 properties (InfoKey/InfoValue) created by using pdfmarks file. This tags are read in Acrobat, Windows explorer, pdftk...
Unfortunately also, if I try to tag my PDF files with Calibre automation, all tags I already had are gone

This couple of notices are stop for me and I would like to know if there is some easy way (change some python source file) so I can avoid it

Thanks
klonuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Regarding the library folder structure part: We get that discussion quite frequently. There actually is an active thread on this. Search the forum, but the TL;DR of the matter is: Ain't gonna change, live with it or look for another program.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I'm beginning to think all these "new users" are the same troll.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by klonuo View Post
Most important to me: Please don't touch my files
As you have written I know you are aware that your original files are not touched, just copied.

Quote:
But I don't appreciate separate folder for every ebook starting with Author name then Title and so on, as this scheme is only valid if I use only Calibre. Don't want to imagine browsing with file manager through that tree, or having two copies of the same files.
Calibre allows you to export books in whatever naming format you want them in. But if having your files in two places (due to your unique view) is a deal breaker then you might not want to use calibre for ebook management and just use the command line tools with your file structure.

Quote:
Calibre doesn't read PDF 1.3 properties

Unfortunately also, if I try to tag my PDF files with Calibre automation, all tags I already had are gone
Since PDF isn't (yet) a true reflowable format and thus not the best format for ereaders I try to stay away from the format when possible.

The PDF issues you raise might be eventually handled by calibre, but PDF management isn't at the top of the current to do list. Since you don't want the calibre library, which copies your files, you might have to look elsewhere for PDF tools to meet your needs.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-15-2010 at 12:36 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I'm beginning to think all these "new users" are the same troll.
No its just that many of them have being doing something in one way for years.
And over the years they have trained themselves to do it the most optimal way possible.
Now suddenly calibre is asking them to do it in a completely different way and its human nature to be obstinate about it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
No its just that many of them have being doing something in one way for years.
And over the years they have trained themselves to do it the most optimal way possible.
Now suddenly calibre is asking them to do it in a completely different way and its human nature to be obstinate about it.
I still feel it's curious we got three of them in a short period of time.

Curious about what you have to say about people being resistant to change. I'm a 61 year old fart who gets very stuck in her ways (heck, I still run XP on my two machines and probably will until Microsnot pulls the plug on it) yet I had no trouble adapting.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:15 AM   #7
klonuo

Come on people, what's with this replies?
Do I have to justify somehow before posting?

I think I posted valid statements, asking for solution by changing source python files without learning whole code if it is possible

I like Calibre's philosophy (from what I see) but I just don't need it to rearrange my files without me telling where
About two copies, I meant keeping my original files and having Calibre library: I don't want that, as I don't want to loose my file's organization

Except Manichean reply, I don't understand other poster's aggressive attitude. Cheer up a bit and sorry if my English is bad
Old 12-15-2010, 01:22 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not possible without making *extensive* modifications to the calibre code, which is why you aren't getting any pointers to source code to do it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I posted valid statements, asking for solution by changing source python files without learning whole code if it is possible
You can't easily change the source for the main calibre library storage. You can install the source and poke around, but I have no experience in this area.

Quote:
I like Calibre's philosophy (from what I see) but I just don't need it to rearrange my files without me telling where
Calibre does not alter or change your files in any way shape or fashion. I thought you understood this when I read your first post.

Quote:
About two copies, I meant keeping my original files and having Calibre library: I don't want that, as I don't want to loose my file's organization
The only way to use calibre is with calibre storing the books in its library/database. Calibre doesn't change your file organization at all.

Quote:
Except Manichean reply, I don't understand other poster's aggressive attitude. Cheer up a bit and sorry if my English is bad
Aggressive??? In what sense was my post above anything but helpful?
Old 12-15-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
klonuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's not possible without making *extensive* modifications to the calibre code, which is why you aren't getting any pointers to source code to do it.
Thanks for your reply

Can you comment about PDF tags?
pyPDF reads them fine
Old 12-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #11
klonuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Aggressive??? In what sense was my post above anything but helpful?
Sorry, I didn't mean that about your post
Old 12-15-2010, 01:29 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I know calibre reds the /Info dict of a PDF file just fine. If you have a PDF on which it is failing, feel free to open a ticket and attach the file.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:37 AM   #13
klonuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As far as I know calibre reds the /Info dict of a PDF file just fine. If you have a PDF on which it is failing, feel free to open a ticket and attach the file.
Well, it's any file I tagged with pdfmarks, not just one file
I'll try later today to open a ticket if I find how
Old 12-15-2010, 01:39 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I'll try later today to open a ticket if I find how
Here's how.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
klonuo

Thanks for the link
I'll do that