Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Avenger
Connoisseur
Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.

Device: iREX DR 1000S
Battery drain when off?

I was pretty positive that I turned off my DR last night. It was 75% last night and I woke up today and I had to recharge it fully. Is there some kind of bug where the tablet doesn't shut down properly? Anyway to check this? I think someone mentioned a bug like this somewhere. Could it be because of an open document?
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Yes, there's a bug that causes it to sometimes not shutdown correctly. One of the theories is that a document is not closed all of the way during the shutdown process, and it gets hung even though it looks like it turned off.

I think I've seen someone mention that a way to test to make sure it's completely shutdown is to press one of the buttons and make sure it's light doesn't react. I've heard less people complaining about it since the 1.6 firmware, but I don't know if that's due to anything iRex did in the software to minimize it or if people are just aware of it now and therefore aren't talking as much about it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
I haven't had any such issues since 1.5 firmware.

The trick with previous version was to "remove sd card safely" before shutting down the device.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Avenger
Connoisseur
Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.Avenger knows who John Galt is.

Device: iREX DR 1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
I haven't had any such issues since 1.5 firmware.

The trick with previous version was to "remove sd card safely" before shutting down the device.
Thanks for the idea. I'll try it if I have the problem again. So far I have had the reader a week and I am quite satisfied with the performance of the device if you work around the bugs. These are the ones I've found:

1. Paging through many images in a folder and closing down each document as you move to another folder seems to cause a memory leak which eventually leads to the UDS process crashing. (Thanks for Grim, I have the workaround to not explicitly close the documents.) That is an easy one...

2. In landscape mode when viewing a pdf, when the device goes to sleep(pause on a page for like 20 secs.), the left and right side of the screen can mismatch when you turn a page by using the capacitive buttons. You can work around by turning power saving off or flipping the page again quickly.

3. The capacitive buttons can lock up (the LED button will stay lit). When this has happenned, you can turn the page by stylus or reset the device. I tried turning all the sensors on and off but reset was the only thing that worked for me. Doesn't happen often enough to be concerned.

4. The battery drain problem when the unit is off which we just discussed.

These are the ones I found using the device for a week under firmware 1.6. The only one that could annoy a lot is the battery drain but I am hoping it is sporadic and I can use the "remove card safely" if it happens more often than I would like.

I had an order in for a Kindle DX but I cancelled it since right now I am satisfied with the DR.
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
I had this problem even with firmware 1.5
One solution suggested was that after the reader turns off, you check that it is really off by pushing the side buttons. That is what I do now. Since I started doing this procedure, I did not have the problem. On the other hand, I also didn't encounter a case when the buttons indicated that the reader was still on....
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
I had this problem even with firmware 1.5
One solution suggested was that after the reader turns off, you check that it is really off by pushing the side buttons. That is what I do now. Since I started doing this procedure, I did not have the problem.
Do you mean it is possible that the lights could be on when pushing them even the device has been turned off? I mean sometimes....
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
Do you mean it is possible that the lights could be on when pushing them even the device has been turned off? I mean sometimes....
If that happens, I think it means the device did not shutdown correctly.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

O, dear......interesting
Old 06-13-2009, 03:12 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've not encountered this issue personally. Perhaps it's been fixed in 1.6?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
yingwu
Addict

I notice the irex has done much homework on the firmware. Any information of 1.7??
Old 06-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #11
ghostwheel
Zealot

Quote:
I have never seen it happen. All I saw is a DR full when turned off, empty when turned back on in he morning. Someone suggested to test the buttons, so I'm doing that now... but I never encountered a case when the buttons did indeed light up when the device was off....
Old 06-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #12
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
I have never seen it happen. All I saw is a DR full when turned off, empty when turned back on in he morning. Someone suggested to test the buttons, so I'm doing that now... but I never encountered a case when the buttons did indeed light up when the device was off....
So why to check to test the buttons to avoid the device is out of power in the next morning? there must be some sign.....

Last edited by yingwu; 06-15-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
I notice the irex has done much homework on the firmware. Any information of 1.7??
I have not seen any announcements for what will be in 1.7 yet. It usually takes a little bit of time after a previous release before they narrow down the priority list and identify what features/fixes will be included in the next release.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
So why to check to test the buttons to avoid the device is out of power in the next morning? there must be some sign.....
Why??
Old 06-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #15
ghostwheel
Zealot

Quote:
Superstition. Since I started doing that, my device was never out of power....