Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
9 months on and I'm impatiently waiting for the new Sony T3 and Kobo Aura to come out so I can get rid of my Paperwhite. I can't wait to get back to a reader that plays well with Calibre and works properly when never connected to wifi. The PW was my first and last foray into the world of Kindle. At the moment I think I'll be buying the new Aura with capacitive touch, lovely screen and small light form factor.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
Jdschi
Connoisseur
Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.

Device: Nexus 7.2, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
9 months on and I'm impatiently waiting for the new Sony T3 and Kobo Aura to come out so I can get rid of my Paperwhite. I can't wait to get back to a reader that plays well with Calibre and works properly when never connected to wifi. The PW was my first and last foray into the world of Kindle. At the moment I think I'll be buying the new Aura with capacitive touch, lovely screen and small light form factor.
Could you elaborate a little? I pondered which to get for ages and finally decided for the new PW. But I'd use it with Calibre to sideload and with wi-fi off, so if this poses serious problems maybe I should rethink my decision. You seemed quite happy with the PW when you posted in this thread the last time, so what happened in the meantime?
Jdschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Why get the glow when you could wait a bit and buy the Aura. I am still very weary of PW because of the lighting problems. But at the same time I worry about the touch screen on the Aura. So I am not really sure what to do.

I suspect you won't be able to turn off the light on PW2 either and on the Kobo model you can.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #19
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
Why get the glow when you could wait a bit and buy the Aura. I am still very weary of PW because of the lighting problems. But at the same time I worry about the touch screen on the Aura. So I am not really sure what to do.

I suspect you won't be able to turn off the light on PW2 either and on the Kobo model you can.
This thread is from last Christmas. I doubt many people are considering getting the Glo now.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:17 AM   #20
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdschi View Post
Could you elaborate a little? I pondered which to get for ages and finally decided for the new PW. But I'd use it with Calibre to sideload and with wi-fi off, so if this poses serious problems maybe I should rethink my decision. You seemed quite happy with the PW when you posted in this thread the last time, so what happened in the meantime?
I'm interested to hear this too. I predominantly sideload and only have wi-fi turned on very, very occasionally and don't have any issues? I don't however have lots of books on my Kindle and am happy to organise them into collections on the Kindle itself. I must be in the minority that it bugs me that my Sony automatically sorts them into collections based on the tags in the metadata!

I can understand the irritation that if you reset your Kindle and the clock is wrong you need to connect to wi-fi to fix it, but apart from that?

I'm tempted by the new Aura and the Paperwhite and will be waiting until both are out to decide. But the continual firmware updates (and bugs) that are typical of Kobo put me off far more than having to connect to wi-fi from time to time.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #21
md_
md_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slocum View Post
The brightness problem that others have noted, here and elsewhere, with the Glo - the brightness doesn't go low enough - must have been fixed by a software update because I have very sensitive eyes, cannot bear anything too bright, and in a completely dark room the Glo at 1% is very dim. You probably couldn't read it if it was less bright.

[...] don't be put off by the posts that say the Glo is too bright [...]
I think that this post, and in particular the last line I've quoted above, is misleading enough to deserve a response.

I don't have "very sensitive eyes", just normal ones. I also have a Glo with the current (2.8.1) firmware, and set to its lowest brightness setting (1%), I'm able to use it as a torch to guide me to bed after I've switched off all the lights. Maybe your Glo's LEDs are failing, or perhaps your idea of a "completely dark room" is one where the sun shines into your face from a slightly offset angle... but my Glo (still at 1%!) lights up my completely dark room like a decent-wattage lightbulb. It's *way* too bright for reading in the dark.

If you're wanting a reader with a light that works better in the dark, I'd suggest either of Kobo's Aura or Aura HD models, or Amazon's Paperwhite.
md_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdschi View Post
Sideloading via Calibre and USB isn't a problem at all, however unless you wifi sync with Amazon's servers occasionally, the clock won't keep correct time and neither will you be able to manage collections on the PW - without jailbreaking, installing hacks and manual intervention that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I'm interested to hear this too. I predominantly sideload and only have wi-fi turned on very, very occasionally and don't have any issues? I don't however have lots of books on my Kindle and am happy to organise them into collections on the Kindle itself. I must be in the minority that it bugs me that my Sony automatically sorts them into collections based on the tags in the metadata!

I'm tempted by the new Aura and the Paperwhite and will be waiting until both are out to decide. But the continual firmware updates (and bugs) that are typical of Kobo put me off far more than having to connect to wi-fi from time to time.
Firstly I don't use wifi full stop, no connection with Amazon at all, my PW isn't even registered. So no clock which is annoying and so unnecessary for Amazon to restrict this way. Secondly I prefer to keep hundreds of books on my reader which obviously means that the idea of spending hours organising them manually into collections isn't an option I'd choose - even if it were available which it isn't, I've never registered the PW so collections aren't available to me directly on the PW.

These points together with the Home page cover view only showing 3 items, (the rest of the page being taken up by a tree and a request to register!), have been irritating me every time I open the PW. I have jailbroken and installed hacks to allow Calibre collections to work with the PW but this isn't an automatic process like it would be with a Sony or Kobo device - due to Amazon purposely blocking it in newer devices.

All in all they may sound minor points, but when you encounter them on a virtually day to day basis, they are more than enough to make me sell the PW and look at Sony or Kobo for a replacement reader. I have previously owned Sony devices and find them very stable but limited in options. I have also owned Kobo devices and I find that it is the wide possibilities for customisation that can cause instability of the reader. I also found that by not changing too many things too quickly, my Kobo reader was very nearly as stable as other makes. At least you can customise your reader without going to the bother of jailbreaking and installing hacks; a big thumbs down to Amazon for deliberately limiting the function of the PW if you don't connect to their servers.

Regarding Sony creating collections from Tags, it wasn't a problem for me as I just used Calibre to tell it to use another column to create collections from instead, problem solved once and for all. I like to choose how my collections are created and then expect it to work automatically each time I transfer books. Having said this, it would be fantastic to be able to have a hierarchical structure for collections, but I don't suppose it will ever happen on mainstream readers.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fair enough about the collections, but if it were me I wouldn't let those issues irritate me as I'd just register the thing and then never connect to wi-fi again......

If not registering an ereader and easy book organising is that important, I'd pay the money to buy one that suits my purpose. Ie, one that has no links to any bookstore, doesn't ask you to link your ADE account to it and uses folders.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #24
Jdschi
Connoisseur
Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.

Device: Nexus 7.2, PW2
Lyn2012, thanks for your detailed reply! I remember that I thought the way the Kindle handled the collections was really awkward and time consuming, which is why I never had more than a couple of books on it at any one time... I forgot about that. And the clock thing. Jeez...
The fact that you CAN jailbreak the Kindle and do stuff with it Amazon never intended you to do is actually an advantage in my opinion, but I also root my android device and I can see how it could be really irritating...
Jdschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #25
Lyn2012
Addict

Quote:
Fair enough about the collections, but if it were me I wouldn't let those issues irritate me as I'd just register the thing and then never connect to wi-fi again......

If not registering an ereader and easy book organising is that important, I'd pay the money to buy one that suits my purpose. Ie, one that has no links to any bookstore, doesn't ask you to link your ADE account to it and uses folders.
I don't have wifi and am certainly not going somewhere especially to use it.

If I could find an ereader as you suggest, but with the hardware quality of the mainstream ereaders and firmware stability, then I would certainly buy one. I have read reviews of all the new devices from many manufacturers over the past 9 months without finding a suitable one.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #26
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre

Not even to McDonalds for a cup of coffee and some free wi-fi?

Yes to be fair, that's is the problem isn't it, none of the mainstream e-readers have the support of Amazon, the software stability of Sony and the overall hardware quality of Kobo, Amazon & Sony.

For all that I'm a happy Amazon customer and can cut through the paranoid waffle about what info Amazon might but don't actually garner from a Kindle, a completely independent, easily customisable ereader is of interest, and I've looked at some of the options available elsewhere in Europe without being too impressed. I have to concede I'm a sucker for the customer support I get from Amazon though.

Incidentally, I've just reread your earlier post and the bit about telling Calbre to use another column to create collections on your Sony has only just registered now ! I wasn't aware you could do that, is it easy enough to explain in a couple of sentences? If so, could you enlighten me, if it's more complex, don't worry about it.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #27
Lyn2012
Addict

Quote:
Incidentally, I've just reread your earlier post and the bit about telling Calbre to use another column to create collections on your Sony has only just registered now ! I wasn't aware you could do that, is it easy enough to explain in a couple of sentences? If so, could you enlighten me, if it's more complex, don't worry about it.
To be perfectly honest I've had Kobo and PW since my Sony so don't remember exactly. You could take a look at post no 15 in this thread though, I think it has all the info you could possibly need.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...51#post1986051
Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #28
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I'd wait until the new models come out.

Last edited by Rizla; 09-09-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #29
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
New Paperwhite comes out very soon, I'd wait on that, and the new Kobo to make a decision.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #30
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
I don't have wifi and am certainly not going somewhere especially to use it.

If I could find an ereader as you suggest, but with the hardware quality of the mainstream ereaders and firmware stability, then I would certainly buy one. I have read reviews of all the new devices from many manufacturers over the past 9 months without finding a suitable one.
Some interesting stuff on this thread about the limitations of the PW using collections and even the clock(!). Normally this is drowned out by the fan-boys & girls shouting. One may not criticize the Kindle.

I recommend you try the Nook ST if you can get one cheap. It is very stable rooted and you just do what you want with it, no limits. I'd have a hard time going back to a non-Android (rooted) device now. Sadly it has no light. Wifi is dead handy on it because you can put books on it via Dropbox and coolreader is an excellent reading app.

It seems now that it is possible to run Linux on a Kobo, so that would interesting, though I wonder if it would work as well as Android as Android is designed to be light-weight to work on portable devices. Still, it's better than being stuck in the base firmware.

The big downer for me with the Kobo glo is that the minimum setting on the Glo is too bright. That's a show-stopper right there, though night-vision mode might help a lot.

Last edited by Rizla; 09-11-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle kobo glo