Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Kindle DX vs Kindle 2 vs DR1000

Hello all.

Here I'm going to post my thinkings and impressions about Kindle DX vs Kindle 2 (K2) vs DR1000 (DR). I'm not going to say things that has benn said yet and I've read (of course, there will be more that I've not read and I will put here ).

My DX is charging now. First impression is excellent. Rotation is as faster as page turning (at least in file viewer and mobi).

DX is faster than K2 moving cursor.

Screen is as height as DR but the width is smaller.

Does not ficks. Never (at least the two minutes I've using it). Not in menu or header or footer changes.

Be with you soon.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Hi, rfog. Thanks very much. Good to hear you have your order in hand. As detail as possible and more picture. I believe this is greatly helpful and valuable!!
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, my photo camera is broken. If I can get other I will do photos...

PDF
Open a PDF is significantly slower than opening a AZW but significantly faster than in the DR.

Turning screen is significantly slower than with an AZW or in folder view, however is faster than in DR done by hand.

Page turning in PDF is a little faster than in DR, and it does not have the "Wait screen".

Margins are not cropped, instead they are increased because DX inserts a line at bottom. This is a very big issue.

I've tested one Scientific American (12 MB), Circuit Cellar (17MB), a magazine made by fans called "Mundo Verne" (2,3 MB), and "Paenza Matemáticas vol 3.14" (1.3MB). All can be read in portrait mode and better in landscape one. The thing I do not like in landscape is that it repeats last line and has a very strange continuous mode...
Old 06-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #4
rfog
Guru

More about PDF: I've saved my Delphi Win32 part 1 manual that is 158.326 KB (yes, about 160 MB), and DX opens it as fast as other PDF. DR about one minute. However, page turning in DX is about 10 seconds and in DR is less than 5 secondos with "Wait" screen.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
rfog
Guru

Display quality DR vs DX.

It depends of the PDF. For me, DX has better screen quality (fonts, contrast and so), but DR seems to be near (and I can see some fonts better than in DX).
Old 06-16-2009, 05:08 PM   #6
tklaus
Connoisseur
tklaus doesn't littertklaus doesn't litter

Device: iPad, Kindle DX
The DX does auto-crop margins on pdfs, but not consistently. Maybe it's an image vs. non-image thing? Or maybe it just gets confused by some pdfs?
tklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Display quality DR vs DX.

It depends of the PDF. For me, DX has better screen quality (fonts, contrast and so), but DR seems to be near (and I can see some fonts better than in DX).
what? really? the screen quality of the DX is even better than that in the DR?? But the DR has 160dpi. Would you try my attached paper to make a judgment? somebody has tried it before kindly, but there is no comparison.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf try.pdf (319.7 KB, 325 views)
Old 06-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
More about PDF: I've saved my Delphi Win32 part 1 manual that is 158.326 KB (yes, about 160 MB), and DX opens it as fast as other PDF. DR about one minute.
Is it 158.326KB or MB???? So basically the DX open a PDF faster???

Quote:
However, page turning in DX is about 10 seconds and in DR is less than 5 secondos with "Wait" screen.
But you said "Page turning in PDF is a little faster than in DR, and it does not have the "Wait screen."????????

If there is a vedio, it will be very very great.

Still thanks very much and raise you up
Old 06-17-2009, 04:27 AM   #9
rfog
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
what? really? the screen quality of the DX is even better than that in the DR?? But the DR has 160dpi. Would you try my attached paper to make a judgment? somebody has tried it before kindly, but there is no comparison.
I thing it can that DX is white and DR is gray and your eyes see better the contrast. IMHO.

I will test your PDF when I finish work.

Last edited by rfog; 06-17-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:30 AM   #10
rfog
Guru

Quote:
(1)Is it 158.326KB or MB???? So basically the DX open a PDF faster???

(2)But you said "Page turning in PDF is a little faster than in DR, and it does not have the "Wait screen."????????

If there is a vedio, it will be very very great.

Still thanks very much and raise you up
(1) Yes. Absolutely yes. Significatively faster.

(2) It depends of the PDF. With little PDFs DX works faster. With heavier ones (Scientific American, Circuit Cellar) they are more or less side by side except in load times, and with bigger, DR wins not in load but in page turning.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:27 AM   #11
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
(2) It depends of the PDF. With little PDFs DX works faster. With heavier ones (Scientific American, Circuit Cellar) they are more or less side by side except in load times, and with bigger, DR wins not in load but in page turning.
So you mean the larger the file is, then the faster is the DR to open and turn page. Maybe the DR has more powerful CPU. But why it is slower for small files? It is strange.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:28 AM   #12
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
I thing it can that DX is white and DR is gray and your eyes see better the contrast. IMHO.

I will test your PDF when I finish work.
Hi rfog, thanks for your try on my attachment. Could I ask whether it is obvious of the contrast between the two? Thanks.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
So you mean the larger the file is, then the faster is the DR to open and turn page. Maybe the DR has more powerful CPU. But why it is slower for small files? It is strange.
That's not what he's saying. He's saying:

1. The DX is faster than the DR in opening small PDF files.
2. The DX is the same speed as the BR in opening big PDF files.
3. The DR is faster page-turning than the DX regardless of file size.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #14
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
That's not what he's saying. He's saying:

1. The DX is faster than the DR in opening small PDF files.
2. The DX is the same speed as the BR in opening big PDF files.
3. The DR is faster page-turning than the DX regardless of file size.
Sorry for my understanding...
Old 06-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Sorry for my understanding...
No need to apologize. I could be misunderstanding him, too!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote