Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What are your choices for the September Book Club book?
The Giver by Lois Lowry 12 30.00%
The Call of the Wild by Jack London 5 12.50%
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee 12 30.00%
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling 11 27.50%
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck 14 35.00%
Rabbit Run by John Updike 8 20.00%
The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien 5 12.50%
Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain 6 15.00%
Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure by John Cleland 4 10.00%
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess 10 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I narrowed my votes down to half of them - the three I supported in nominations plus Steinbeck and a bit of the old ultraviolence.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #17
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Title of the thread says 13, not 14.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Narrowed it down to 5. If Grapes wins, that's some reading I don't have to do. I'm sure I read it recently enough to be able to discuss it.

I do hope Mockingbird wins, but I recently bought the ebook as it's one of the books from my high school years that I would like to read again. Maybe if Grapes wins, I'll re-read Mockingbird instead.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:46 AM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Title of the thread says 13, not 14.
I wonder how that happened? I use the same template every month.

Oh well, fixed now.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #20
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
If you are trying to get The Giver from your library make sure you check for multiple editions. My library has 2 versions, 1 is illustrated. The non-illustrated version has a 281 person wait list and 26 copies (10.8:1) while the illustrated version has 19 people and 3 copies (6.3:1), so much shorter wait time for the illustrated version.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Let's give 3 more votes to Harry Potter. I think that would allow a very good discussion.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:52 AM   #22
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I didn't vote for the book I helped nominate. I keep forgetting I can vote for more than one book. D'oh.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #23
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Let's give 3 more votes to Harry Potter. I think that would allow a very good discussion.
Let's not.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:13 AM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Renominate Harry Potter in a couple of years, and I'll vote for it. I'm not up to a re-read of the series right now.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Let's not.
OH yes, lets. It Harry Potter would make for a very good discussion especially relating to why it was a challenged book.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #26
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OH yes, lets. It Harry Potter would make for a very good discussion especially relating to why it was a challenged book.
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Different book. And you have no idea what makes a good discussion.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #28
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Ah yes. Part of me wishes to forget about Harry Potter forever, because I've been overexposed to the phenomenon. Part of me wishes to dabble in the book's discussion and ponder over how every single of Rowling's twists had been guessed a year before The Deathly Hallows cam out. Or, perish the thought, why didn't Rowling ship Harry with Hermione.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #29
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
I would suggest that your multiple abrupt dismissals of other people's opinions over several years suggests you don't even know what a discussion is, let alone a good one.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #30
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I re-read To Kill a Mockingbird this week and it is even better than I remembered. So now I am delighted that The Grapes of Wrath is winning. One of the best books I've ever read, and Steinbeck will always be my most beloved author. In anticipation, I dug out Bruce Springsteen's absolutely great The Ghost of Tom Joad.

The Ghost of Tom Joad

The Ballad of Tom Joad by Woody Guthrie. Contains spoilers if you haven't read The Grapes of Wrath.

Just in case you didn't realize the extent to which The Grapes of Wrath became part of American culture and mythology.

Last edited by BelleZora; 08-28-2014 at 01:12 PM.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote