Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Minis Stolen At Airport

More than likely an inside job.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...470241.html?dr
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
strange theft. arent they basically worthless, except maybe as parts? since apple knows the serial numbers of every dvice on those pallets they'll just make it so they cant get anything off the store and can probably even remotely kill the device if it signs on to a network and phones home
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
strange theft. arent they basically worthless, except maybe as parts? since apple knows the serial numbers of every dvice on those pallets they'll just make it so they cant get anything off the store and can probably even remotely kill the device if it signs on to a network and phones home
The people buying them cheap from market stalls won't know that until too late.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Hopefully most don't buy something like this from an unauthorized dealer. I'm sure they will go on Craigslist or eBay perhaps and not sold out of a truck. Buyer beware.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
What about if they are jailbroken? Can they be remote killed still if they've burst out of their cells?
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I don't know.
I have read that if a registered iPhone in use, is stolen from a customer, Apple can't do anything. That is why there is a market for the phones, and in places like NY, they hire people to snatch them off the streets. They catch one guy, and a week later, there is another doing the same thing.

It is probably drug money for the snatcher.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I am hearing a lot about thefts of apple products these days, I have been warning family and friends who own apple products about these sorts of things. It seems that apple has become a victim of their own success. I have had pals at airports where one has bought an ipad or an ipod with them and the other has brought a Kindle Fire and/or Sansa San Disk with them and the apples have almost gotten stolen and nothing has happened to the fire and the sandisk. Apples are so widely known that they become theft targets amazon and sandisks are not targets.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
So far nobody's been killed for an iPxxx, or have they?
I know Nikes and other expensive brands have gotten some folks killed but so far I've only heard of muggings of Apple owners...
(And of owners of other media players who were using white earbuds.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:

Good advice. If anyone approaches you in an airport parking lot and tries to sell you an iPad you may want to think twice:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...irror-instead/

obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
Good advice. If anyone approaches you in an airport parking lot and tries to sell you an iPad you may want to think twice:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...irror-instead/

Well, at least the mirror is useful.
She could've ended up with one of those iPad Mini mockups...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
So far nobody's been killed for an iPxxx, or have they?
I know Nikes and other expensive brands have gotten some folks killed but so far I've only heard of muggings of Apple owners...
(And of owners of other media players who were using white earbuds.)
Maybe the wearers of the Nikes fight back with knives and guns and the Apple owners just wring their hands and cry.

If I was a young thug, I would much rather grab an iPhone from some chick or kid walking down the street listening to iTunes than try to strip the laced up Nikies from another street punk. On the other hand if I really wanted the shoes, I would know that things might get rough, and I would go prepared to "rumble."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Maybe the wearers of the Nikes fight back with knives and guns and the Apple owners just wring their hands and cry.

If I was a young thug, I would much rather grab an iPhone from some chick or kid walking down the street listening to iTunes than try to strip the laced up Nikies from another street punk. On the other hand if I really wanted the shoes, I would know that things might get rough, and I would go prepared to "rumble."
So only ghetto punks wear Nikes and only effeminate sissies use iPhones?

Sexism, racism... what else can we add to the mix? The possibilities are endless!
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Maybe they have enough perspective to know it is only an item, and not worth dying for.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Maybe they have enough perspective to know it is only an item, and not worth dying for.
Agreed. I can always get another iPad, iPhone, etc.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #15
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
murraypaul
Quote:
ucfgrad93
Agreed. I can always get another iPad, iPhone, etc.
What other point would I be making?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote