Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
does anyone develop/compile for kindle on a mac?

is there suitable software available? the two toolchains i've seen mentioned didn't seem to have mac versions, unless i missed something?

cheers.

edit: damn my memory, i just found a link which i'd actually seen before, looks promising http://rohitdureja.wordpress.com/201...mac-os-x-10-7/

Last edited by hippy dave; 08-24-2012 at 02:43 PM.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy dave View Post
is there suitable software available? the two toolchains i've seen mentioned didn't seem to have mac versions, unless i missed something?

cheers.

edit: damn my memory, i just found a link which i'd actually seen before, looks promising http://rohitdureja.wordpress.com/201...mac-os-x-10-7/
That reads like it will do the job.

Each of the complete tool-chains on the DIY-KeK server have the source archives on the same server, same naming convention.
Read appendix B of the manual.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

thanks.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
And if you want to try the crosstool-ng 'DIY' way, be aware of this: http://crosstool-ng.org/#macos_x

(I have no idea if it's still the case on 10.7/10.8, but given the bitch of a time I had to port the simplest things for the KindleTool build scripts, it wouldn't surprise me.... ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
hippy dave
Zealot

thanks guys. this is all a bit beyond me, so following a step-by-step guide is probably the way forward

e: for the record, i'm still on 10.6.8, thanks to my creaky old 32-bit macbook.
Advert
Old 08-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
And if you want to try the crosstool-ng 'DIY' way, be aware of this: http://crosstool-ng.org/#macos_x

(I have no idea if it's still the case on 10.7/10.8, but given the bitch of a time I had to port the simplest things for the KindleTool build scripts, it wouldn't surprise me.... ^^).
The Ubuntu-Linaro tool-chains use ct-ng.
The CS/MG tool-chains are good, old fashioned, make files.

But the "fix" for internationalism might apply to either,
so might --no-nls

I seem to recall that MacOSx does not export LC_ALL=C
that would probably do no harm also.

- - - -

Just pick a path forward, keep us posted, people here will help when they can.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
bearice
bearice began at the beginning.

Device: k3-wifi
i struggled last week to build a tool chain for kindle on osx, and at last succeed with a prebuilt glibc binary i built on linux.

basicly, all you need is get a working toolchain on linux (you can build with ct-ng) then copy them on osx, build final binutils & gcc on it, (see build.log that ct-ng generated to find how to configure & make them)
bearice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
hippy dave
Zealot

i actually managed to get the toolchain built using the guide i linked in the first post, followed it almost exactly except used eclipse indigo instead of helios because the relevant plugin had been updated.
so the toolchain is built, and apparently working from within eclipse, but i haven't managed to get something to compile yet. have pointed it to the relevant includes but build still fails with a lot of undeclared somethingorother errors. will post more details later if i can't figure it out, see if anyone has any ideas.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
hippy dave
Zealot

is there somewhere i can find a list of compiler settings for building kindle code, so i can try and make sure eclipse's millions of pages of project properties are set up correctly? thanks.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy dave View Post
is there somewhere i can find a list of compiler settings for building kindle code, so i can try and make sure eclipse's millions of pages of project properties are set up correctly? thanks.
Ummm, I think the DIY-KEK thread has it in there somewhere....
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #11
hippy dave
Zealot

thanks, i found this much in a quick scan of that thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
arch is ARMv6, fpu type is softfp (VFP), 16bit code is Thumb (implied by the VFP option).
At least sort-of, I will get to that section of the outline RSN.
i was really hoping that i'd just be able to set a few settings, and be able to compile other people's existing code and tweak bits of it, without having to do lots of research and fiddling and having to actually know what i'm doing. that's starting to look less likely now... that diy kek thread is pretty long and involved
Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Look for posts by NiLuJe, plus/minus a few posts.
Either the main DIY-KeK thread or one of twobob's build threads (probably the one about building kernel modules).

When you find something useful there, go ahead and index in the Tool_Prefix index page.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
hippy dave
Zealot

came back to this after a bit of a holiday, i still have the toolchain built, but i just tried to build/install scratchbox2 and it wasn't having any of it

Spoiler:
DaveBook:scratchbox2 dave$ make install prefix=$HOME/sb2
[CC] luaif/luaif.o
luaif/luaif.c: In function ‘lua_sb_path_exists’:
luaif/luaif.c:626: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘readlink_nomap’
luaif/luaif.c:631: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘access_nomap_nolog’
luaif/luaif.c: In function ‘lua_sb_getcwd’:
luaif/luaif.c:663: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘getcwd_nomap_nolog’
[PERL] preload/wrappers.c
echo "/* Automatically generated file. Do not edit. */" >include/scratchbox2_version.h
echo '#define SCRATCHBOX2_VERSION "'`cat .version`'"' >>include/scratchbox2_version.h
echo '#define LIBSB2_SONAME "'"libsb2.so.1"'"' >>include/scratchbox2_version.h
[CC] luaif/sb_log.o
luaif/sb_log.c:44:21: warning: sys/vfs.h: No such file or directory
In file included from luaif/sb_log.c:50:
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:659: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:659: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:660: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:661: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:662: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:663: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:664: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
[CC] luaif/paths.o
In file included from luaif/paths.c:83:
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/libsb2.h:74:21: warning: sys/vfs.h: No such file or directory
In file included from luaif/paths.c:84:
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:659: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:659: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:660: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:661: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:662: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:663: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
/Users/dave/REPOS/scratchbox2/preload/exported.h:664: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
[CC] luaif/argvenvp.o
[ARCHIVE] luaif/libluaif.a
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/loadlib.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lstate.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/ldebug.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/liolib.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/llex.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lauxlib.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/ldump.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/ltablib.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lstrlib.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/ldo.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lmathlib.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lapi.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lvm.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/ltable.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lgc.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lbaselib.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lopcodes.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/linit.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lfunc.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lparser.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lstring.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/ldblib.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lzio.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/loslib.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/ltm.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lundump.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lobject.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lmem.o
[CC] luaif/lua-5.1.4/src/lcode.o
[ARCHIVE] luaif/liblua.a
[CC] preload/wrappers.o
In file included from preload/wrappers.c:2:
preload/libsb2.h:74:21: warning: sys/vfs.h: No such file or directory
In file included from preload/wrappers.c:3:
preload/exported.h:659: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
preload/exported.h:659: warning: its scope is only this definition or declaration, which is probably not what you want
preload/exported.h:660: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
preload/exported.h:661: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
preload/exported.h:662: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
preload/exported.h:663: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
preload/exported.h:664: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
preload/wrappers.c: In function ‘utimensat’:
preload/wrappers.c:3738: error: ‘AT_SYMLINK_NOFOLLOW’ undeclared (first use in this function)
preload/wrappers.c:3738: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
preload/wrappers.c:3738: error: for each function it appears in.)
preload/wrappers.c: At top level:
preload/wrappers.c:6507: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
preload/wrappers.c:6509: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
preload/wrappers.c:6510: error: conflicting types for ‘statfs’
preload/exported.h:659: error: previous declaration of ‘statfs’ was here
preload/wrappers.c: In function ‘statfs’:
preload/wrappers.c:6534: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘statfs_next__’ from incompatible pointer type
preload/wrappers.c:6540: warning: ‘struct statfs’ declared inside parameter list
preload/wrappers.c:6541: error: conflicting types for ‘statfs_nomap’
preload/exported.h:660: error: previous declaration of ‘statfs_nomap’ was here
preload/wrappers.c: In function ‘statfs_nomap’:
preload/wrappers.c:6555: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘statfs_next__’ from incompatible pointer type
preload/wrappers.c:6561: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
preload/wrappers.c:6563: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
preload/wrappers.c:6564: error: conflicting types for ‘statfs64’
preload/exported.h:662: error: previous declaration of ‘statfs64’ was here
preload/wrappers.c: In function ‘statfs64’:
preload/wrappers.c:6588: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘statfs64_next__’ from incompatible pointer type
preload/wrappers.c:6594: warning: ‘struct statfs64’ declared inside parameter list
preload/wrappers.c:6595: error: conflicting types for ‘statfs64_nomap’
preload/exported.h:663: error: previous declaration of ‘statfs64_nomap’ was here
preload/wrappers.c: In function ‘statfs64_nomap’:
preload/wrappers.c:6609: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘statfs64_next__’ from incompatible pointer type
make[1]: *** [preload/wrappers.o] Error 1
make: *** [regular] Error 2

urgh.

has anyone done this on a mac?
Old 09-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Surely it would be easier to just use a VM with usb passthrough? (pretty sure VBox has that for OSX)
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #15
hippy dave
Zealot

you mean run scratchbox on linux in a vm? i guess that could work, but it would mean building the damn toolchain again, on top of setting up a new os, so i'm not sure it would count as easier