Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which of these two books should we read for August?
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon 20 55.56%
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain 16 44.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
The United Kingdom refers to Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Emgland and some offshore islands. Great Britain refers to the island of Britain and includes England, Scotland, and Wales. England is the political entity of the island of Britain excluding Scotland and Wales. This may change if Scotland declares complete national independence from the Crown--as it may do in the future--though that is by no means a certainty.

The Republic of Ireland comprises the 26 counties of the four provinces excluding the 6 counties in Ulster which are part of the United Kingdom. Particularly since the recent visit of the Queen to Ireland relations between the two countries have been exceptionally friendly and the Government of the Republic recognizes the entity of Northern Ireland and also allows any of its population to use an Irish passport if they so desire. Citizens of the Republic do not need a passport to travel to Great Britain and vice-versa.
If I may, I'll add that the province of Ulster has nine counties, three of which are part of the republic. At partition, only the counties of Ulster with a majority Protestant population remained in the UK.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 AM   #17
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I voted for Quiet as I have already read Shadow.

And with close ancestors from both Ireland and the United Kingdom, I say none of it matters. We are all citizens of Earth .

Last edited by orlok; 07-27-2012 at 04:51 AM.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 04:49 AM   #18
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
With Australia is seems much simpler. Although the politicians here do seem to be from another planet.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Yesterday I was about to go ahead and buy Shadow, but I see this is turning into a race again. We've had a lot of close votes lately.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Just spoke with my daughter who's read a couple of Zafon books in Spanish. She's the only living person who knows me inside out and knows my taste in absolutely everything and she assured me that Shadow of the Wind would be for me! So even though I voted for Quiet I'll be excited whichever wins! Probably won't get either of the books in time to finish it before discussion starts, but still...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Shadow appears to have stalled momentarily and Quiet appears to be moving up fast on the inside lane. A couple of days ago it looked like it would be Shadow by a landslide.

How's that for mixing metaphors?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Just spoke with my daughter who's read a couple of Zafon books in Spanish. She's the only living person who knows me inside out and knows my taste in absolutely everything and she assured me that Shadow of the Wind would be for me! So even though I voted for Quiet I'll be excited whichever wins! Probably won't get either of the books in time to finish it before discussion starts, but still...
Should have listened to your daughter.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Shadow appears to have stalled momentarily and Quiet appears to be moving up fast on the inside lane. A couple of days ago it looked like it would be Shadow by a landslide.

How's that for mixing metaphors?
OK, how many accounts do I need to create to get Shadow of the Wind unstalled?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #24
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Should have listened to your daughter.
I'm pretty sure she'd say Quiet would be for me as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Shadow of the Wind can be found for free at some libraries in their Overdrive section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletVal View Post
The same is true for Quiet.
Quote:
But that wasn't supposed to be known.
I don't think this thread will be solely responsible for the leak. Overdrive at my library has 23 people on the waiting list for Quiet.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #26
Asawi
Gadgetoholic

FLP:
63 on the wait list for Quiet (12 copies)
8 on the wait list for Shadow of the Wind (3 copies)

I wouldn't use popularity as an argument though since 5o shades of Grey has 903 people on the wait list (35 copies)
Old 07-27-2012, 03:44 PM   #27
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I bought Shadow yesterday and actually changed my vote from Quiet. I suppose it okay to be fickle. Don't care which one wins since I plan to read both. Seems that most of my friends have read Quiet and liked it.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:33 PM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Glad Shadow won. There were many great possibilities this month but that seemed like one of the most interesting to me.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Does anyone have a paper edition of Shadow of the Wind?

The first sentence of chapter 19 seems to have an error in it and I cannot figure out the correction. If you do, please post the first sentence. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Does anyone have a paper edition of Shadow of the Wind?

The first sentence of chapter 19 seems to have an error in it and I cannot figure out the correction. If you do, please post the first sentence. Thanks.
Here it is:

"Imagine the scene," Don Anacleto concluded to everyone's dismay.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote