Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Will placing items in Folders on K3 blow up my Collections?

I believe I've read that one can actually create subfolders unders the Documents folder on the K3 and the K3 will still list all of my books (in other words folders under Documents would not "hide" any of my books). But I've already created nine collections and did not really want to ruin that work if moving items from Documents into subfolders would screw things up.

And the reason for creating subfolders at this time would be to add a bit of organization - the Documents folder with all of those books is just a bit too disheveled and is growing more so.

And, yes, I can experiment, but if I get a timely answer I won't have to

Thanks in advance.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Yes. The Kindle uniquely identifies each item by the full location and file name. Change either and it will think that it is a brand new item. The alternative would be to either inspect the contents of every file which would be extremely slow or to disallow multiple files having the same name. Neither of which are great solutions so thats why they implemented it how they did.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I guess I will slowly recreate the collections.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
megachirops
Enthusiast
megachirops began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3
Actually it only uses the location for non-Amazon books. If the books were downloaded from Amazon it uses the ASIN to identify the book in the collection and it can be moved and still show up in the Collections just fine.

Last edited by megachirops; 10-29-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: typo
megachirops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard

Thanks. I downloaded the Windows' Collection Manager and moved a bunch of things that way - was simpler than doing it all on the Kindle. My real issue was that I could not remember the genre of a number of the free books I've grabbed in recent days. Googling helped with that.
Advert