Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Any Tom Holt recommendations?

I adored The Portable Door years back and have been periodically checking for the ebook; Kobo now has it, and very cheap. I have heard that the sequel (In Your Dreams) is worth picking up too, but people seem to be of mixed opinions of the others in that series, and I have not read any of Holt's other stuff. Are the other two in the series worth a read? And how about recommendations for any of his other work?

Fwiw as far as other stuff in this genre goes, I loved the Douglas Adams books and adored Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman---but I was lukewarm on Pratchett and Gaiman's other stuff. Mort was good, but most of the other Discworld books I sampled struck me as being in the vein of trying just a little too hard
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Expecting Someone Taller (1987) probably his best and well known work
May Contain Traces of Magic (2009) I liked it, had the same feeling as the JW Wells & Co series
Djinn Rummy (1995) Liked it, read it within 24 hours

Agent to the Stars by John Scalzi (2005) a bit like Holt's works

As for the others in the J. W. Wells & Co. I have no idea. I've only read the first two as well. But I do plan to read them.

Last edited by A4-; 05-24-2011 at 04:06 PM.
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Try some of his historical fiction too (starting with "The Walled Orchard"). It will give you a whole new slant on the ancient world!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
stenciler
Banned
stenciler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'll second the above comment on Agent to the Stars for fans of Holt.
stenciler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
Mrraow
Bookworm
Mrraow doesn't litterMrraow doesn't litter

Device: Opus
I'd say Tom Holt started off {OK to good}, and has been improving ever since. Look for his latest book, and you can't go wrong.
Mrraow is offline   Reply With Quote