Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
cannot afford Rosetta Stone, what do you suggest for language learning ?

I would like to learn Japanese.

Rosetta Stone is beyond my means/ability to pay for.

Besides, I want to learn to read, write, and possibly speak Japanese.

One CD set I bought is 'Talk Now !'. Costs less than Rosetta Stone.

I have read of a web site in Florida that carries items that are used in Japan to teach the language and writing. 3 CDs and a book, the book is instructions in English, are the same lessons as taught in Japan.

I took Spanish in High School and the teachers told me I was rather good at it. I have forgotten much of it. But I do still retain part of it.

I was wondering what your suggestions might be to learn Japanese ?

I don't expect to become great at it, but I would like to try.

Thanks.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
join the military and go to the Defense Language Institute?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2010, 09:58 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I'm sure he'd prefer a way involving less chance of people shooting at him!

Pimsleur is the "brand" that I have and never get around to listening to-- 90 30 minute lessions in 3 sets of 30. Very damn expensive, too, though. But there are veritable torrents of ways to save money on the lessons. Yes, torrents of ways to learn Japanese.

This might also interest you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let%27s_Learn_Japanese

Looks like many if not all of them are on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t58Hblk8xQM
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I'm sure he'd prefer a way involving less chance of people shooting at him!

Pimsleur is the "brand" that I have and never get around to listening to-- 90 30 minute lessions in 3 sets of 30. Very damn expensive, too, though. But there are veritable torrents of ways to save money on the lessons. Yes, torrents of ways to learn Japanese.

This might also interest you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let%27s_Learn_Japanese

Looks like many if not all of them are on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t58Hblk8xQM
there hasn't been shooting in Japan, and if there is, we have a lot of other issues to worry about
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 02:22 AM   #6
Iphinome
Paladin of Eris
Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iphinome ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
there hasn't been shooting in Japan, and if there is, we have a lot of other issues to worry about
Joining the military increases the odds of eventually being shot at by a non zero amount. However the link I gave is public domain language courses developed for diplomats by the US government. I'd wager it has similarities to the military language training but with phrases like "Which way to the post office?" instead of "Tear this ship apart until you find those plans and bring me the passengers I want them alive!"
Iphinome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:09 AM   #7
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
You could probably rip - sorry, format shift - the Rosetta Stone material from the darknet it you are desperate (but not desperate enough to join the military).
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #8
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
join the military and go to the Defense Language Institute?
Well, I already did a stint in the military, 6 years. The Lt. who was also the Education Officer didn't do a good job of it.

I'm too old to rejoin up anyway.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #9
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I don't think Rosetta Stone would be the ideal way to go anyway...
Pimlseur is very good, but it doesn't help with the reading/writing part, and is extraordinarily expensive. Of course I agree with ardeegee, there are torrents of ways of learning japanese out there, if you just look for them.

But here is one affordable and very good little software for beginners:
http://www.humanjapanese.com/home.html
One of the most user-friendly and balanced little programs out there, it includes most of the stuff you need to get you started. I have it, and was quite impressed.

There's also plenty of websites that will teach you basic stuff for free - kana, kanji, basic grammar, anything. You just have to look for them. One I like a lot is this one, http://www.dartmouth.edu/~kanji/, where you can watch hundreds of kanji being drawn with a brush, along with their on/kun readings and examples.

Here's a very good online japanese-english dictionary: http://jisho.org/

There was a very good old piece of software too, but I can't remember what it was or even if it's still available. I'll edit to add it when/if I find it.

As you see, no need to join the army at all

Good luck.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:14 AM   #10
Joebill
Fanatic

I'll check more into those links, I did look at part of the first one on youtube.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:17 AM   #11
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Watch Cowboy Bebop

On a more serious note, these links might help:

http://www.nhk.or.jp/lesson/english/

http://www.yesjapan.com/YJ6/

http://www.studyjapanese.org/

Last edited by Moejoe; 06-30-2010 at 06:21 AM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #12
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Look what I just found, looking for the elusive old software:
http://www.l-lingo.com/en/learn-japanese/index.html
No idea how good it is, but it looks Rosetta Stone-ish, and it's supposed to be free.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #13
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Look what I just found, looking for the elusive old software:
http://www.l-lingo.com/en/learn-japanese/index.html
No idea how good it is, but it looks Rosetta Stone-ish, and it's supposed to be free.

I'd give you some karma for that, but I have to spread it around first. Now I can yet again get excited about learning Japanese for an afternoon and then completely forget about it for another year
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:39 AM   #14
omk3
Wizard

There's really plenty of resources out there if you want to look, this may not necessarily be one of the best ones.

If you can find back issues of Mangajin, or this book http://www.amazon.com/Mangajins-Basi...7894141&sr=8-1, it's really worth a read. They are not structured lessons, but they take real-life manga and they offer both linguistic, cultural and humorous explanations.

My next goal will be to try this book: http://www.amazon.com/Read-Real-Japa...7894251&sr=1-1. I'm not at all sure I can manage it yet, but if so, it will take me a small step closer to reading directly in japanese. But maybe it's still an impossible dream
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebill View Post
Well, I already did a stint in the military, 6 years. The Lt. who was also the Education Officer didn't do a good job of it.

I'm too old to rejoin up anyway.
it was mostly a joke. but there IS a phenomenal oppourtunity for married couples, one civilian and one military for certain languages right now!

Tags
language learning, learn japanese language