Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
nfk
nfk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Kindle 1 won't turn on

Was working fine - battery is fully charged (I believe) - one day did not start (screen remained blank) after I turned it on.

Any thoughts on what to try?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
nfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Try:
1. Hard reset with paper clip in the "reset" hole under back cover.
2. Totally disconnect the battery & then reconnect it.
3. Call Amazon Kindle Customer Service.

4. Ignore the postings advising you to get a Sony. (Just a joke folks!)

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 07-15-2009 at 03:46 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Oh - and welcome to Mobile Read - sorry your introduction wasn't for a happier topic.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
nfk, are you turning it off with the switch on back? If so, this is really not necessary. Every time you finish reading, just hold down the Alt and Font keys to put it to sleep, ditto to awaken.

Otherwise, follow poohbear's advice. Oh, yeah, in any case, fully charge the battery anyway...the battery indicator is not always accurate.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
nfk
nfk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Thanks for the tips

For some reason it just worked. After reading the first tip about the reset button I went back to try it and it turned on. Magic.

At any rate I will remember the tip about the reset button and also putting it to sleep vs. turning it off for next time.

Thanks to both of you!
nfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Incognito Xaris
Incognito Xaris began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello everyone
I am a new Kindle owner...i've had it for 5 weeks and today was my first charge (aside from the out of the box charge). The indicator light is green and says it's charged but when I turn it on it does nothing. I have tried the holding the power for 30seconds and all that and nothing happens....I really want to scream fter pying $300 cnd for this hunk of wood...grrr
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Incognito Xaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito Xaris View Post
Hello everyone
I am a new Kindle owner...i've had it for 5 weeks and today was my first charge (aside from the out of the box charge). The indicator light is green and says it's charged but when I turn it on it does nothing. I have tried the holding the power for 30seconds and all that and nothing happens....I really want to scream fter pying $300 cnd for this hunk of wood...grrr
Call Kindles CS...........

Here is the page.....click on "contact us", sign into your account, and choose the "call me " option.

They'll call you back immediately.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200503360

When you have your problem sorted, come along and use the 'introduce yourself' link below......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Hello everyone
This happened to my K1 recently. To fix it I removed the back cover then removed the battery for about 30 seconds. I reconnected the battery, plugged it in to wall power, turned it one and after a bit of charging it came back on.

If that doesn't work for you, call CS using the links DG supplied.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hello everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
This happened to my K1 recently. To fix it I removed the back cover then removed the battery for about 30 seconds. I reconnected the battery, plugged it in to wall power, turned it one and after a bit of charging it came back on.

If that doesn't work for you, call CS using the links DG supplied.
I'm confused. The op has a K1....but this person seems to have a K3.

No way would anyone pay $300 for a K1!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I'm confused. The op has a K1....but this person seems to have a K3.

No way would anyone pay $300 for a K1!
I'm having serious problems reading to day. I was responding as though that poster also had a K1.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
I'm having serious problems reading to day. I was responding as though that poster also had a K1.
'SNORT. I DID respond as tho he/she had a K1...then re-read, edited and re-posted!
Old 10-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
'SNORT. I DID respond as tho he/she had a K1...then re-read, edited and re-posted!
I really am having problems, "to day" should be "today". I did a 26.2 marathon bike tour this morning and I'm still a loopy and tired.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
I really am having problems, "to day" should be "today". I did a 26.2 marathon bike tour this morning and I'm still a loopy and tired.
Karma to you for that!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:54 AM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Hello everyone
Quote:
Karma to you for that!
the OP doesn't say what version they have. and other than the DX (don't know how much that costs anymore?), there shouldn't be any kindles selling for 300. unless this is another Craig's List nightmare
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #15
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Hello everyone
OK, so what Kindle do you have? I am assuming a K3 and that you live overseas and the $300 includes shipping and VAT.

We won't be able to help you until we know which model.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote