Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
retired05
retired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: kobo touch
2 kobos 1 account

My husband has decided to get me my own kobo touch for my birthday since i have been reading his so much . If we have 2 kobo touch readers on 1 account will we both need to have all the books on both readers /i do not read his books and he does not like my murder mysteries . I want the 1 account since i am the only computer person . He does not manage the account i do . There must be a way for each person to only see the books they want . You guys are the experts any advice
retired05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I would say sideload the books through ADE or calibre as opposed to syncing the devices directly with Kobo.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
retired05
retired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blueretired05 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

I am new to all this what do you mean by side load and what is ade or calibre
Old 05-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
spatula
spatula began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I just bought a new Kobo for my wife, I have the Wifi, and bought her a touch. We use the same account. I don't really care if all the books are on both devices.

They've got plenty of storage. and on the KT you can search and shortlist books you like.
spatula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired05 View Post
My husband has decided to get me my own kobo touch for my birthday since i have been reading his so much . If we have 2 kobo touch readers on 1 account will we both need to have all the books on both readers /i do not read his books and he does not like my murder mysteries . I want the 1 account since i am the only computer person . He does not manage the account i do . There must be a way for each person to only see the books they want . You guys are the experts any advice
I'm fairly new to all this myself, but I will try to at least help a bit. Sideload refers to using a library management program to load your books onto your device rather than the software the device provides.

I had a similar situation to yours, I bought both my MIL and Mom a Kobo and had to set them up for them as they both are a little bit 'computer challenged'.

For me what worked was using a program called "Calibre", it's free and is quite an easy to use library management program. There's a separate forum dedicated to Calibre here at Mobile Read, and here's their website if you want to read more about it all before you jump in.
http://calibre-ebook.com/

What I did was create 3 separate libraries in Calibre, 1 for each of us. It worked for me! Good luck!
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My husband and i share a Kobo account. I read not just on my Kobo, but also on other devices. Sync is important to me. My husband reads only on his Kobo reader. Sync doe not matter to him.

My husband uses the Adobe Digital Editions ePUB versions of the books we buy from the Kobo store. He sideloads them onto his device via USB. I use the Kepub (Kobo ePUB) versions that sync across devices. Usually they go onto my device wirelessly.

We also buy from other vendors. Those books are sideloaded onto both devices, either using ADE or Calibre.

I have copies of all books we buy from any source in a Calibre library.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Nevermind.

Last edited by Synamon; 05-05-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
retired05

I sent an e-mail to kobo cust service . Here is their reply

Thank you for contacting Kobo Customer Care. That's exciting you will be getting your own Kobo eReader! To answer your question, you can go about setting up a Kobo account in two different ways.

1. You and your husband can both share the same Kobo account. This means that any books your husband purchases and any books that you purchase will be shared on one account. To do this you would simply need to set up your eReader using your husbands information.

2. If you would rather have your eBooks separated from your husband's you can simply create your own account with Kobo. In this case you would not be able to share any eBooks, however, you can still use the same computer for book downloads. You would just need to sign out of your husband's information and sign into your account.

If you have any other inquires, please do not hesitate to contact us.

I think i will do option 1 we will use kobo desktop and have all books on each kobo . he will not read mine nor me his .
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired05 View Post
I think i will do option 1 we will use kobo desktop and have all books on each kobo . he will not read mine nor me his .
You need to be aware that when you hook up by USB to the Kobo desktop your device will sync. So, for example, if you do happen to read the same book, and you are on page 72 when you sync, and your spouse then syncs (through WiFi or USB) the page numbers will also sync. If you delete a book off of your reader, it will delete from the desktop application, as well.

If you want a true separation, where what you read is never, ever effected by what your spouse does, load the books onto your reader using ADE or Calibre, not through WiFi or the Kobo desktop.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
retired05

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
You need to be aware that when you hook up by USB to the Kobo desktop your device will sync. So, for example, if you do happen to read the same book, and you are on page 72 when you sync, and your spouse then syncs (through WiFi or USB) the page numbers will also sync. If you delete a book off of your reader, it will delete from the desktop application, as well.

If you want a true separation, where what you read is never, ever effected by what your spouse does, load the books onto your reader using ADE or Calibre, not through WiFi or the Kobo desktop.
I will try option 1 and see how we make out . My husband is the type he reads a book and then deletes it so we may not have any problems I earely want to read what he reads and vise versa , If all else fails i can try another method Thanks for the info I appreciate it