Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
TeeJay
TeeJay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Burroughs's Princess of Mars free from mousecatcher Media

Advertising for the forthcoming Disney film John Carter of Mars sent me searching for free and low-cost editions of the original Edgar Rice Burroughs novels, the first of which is A Princess of Mars. Unfortunately, I am fussy about formatting and was disappointed with most of the freebies and samples I downloaded. I therefore was pleased to find that mousecatcher Media has made its excellent epub and mobi editions of A Princess of Mars available free of charge. They are DRM-free and come together in a single zip file. You also can get the mousecatcher edition from Amazon for $0.99, which I would have been willing to pay for the quality despite the abundance of free alternatives. The free download is a great calling card for mousecatcher. (No, I do not have a pecuniary interest.) If only mousecatcher offered the rest of the John Carter series!

http://www.mousecatchermedia.com/201...hn-carter.html

http://www.amazon.com/Princess-Mars-.../dp/B007314XGG
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thanks for the link...

If you're interested in the entire Barsoom series HarryT has posted it in an omnibus edition in the ebooks section here on MobileRead...

ePub
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54599

Mobi
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12782
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks for the link...

If you're interested in the entire Barsoom series HarryT has posted it in an omnibus edition in the ebooks section here on MobileRead...

ePub
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54599

Mobi
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12782
I strongly recommend the Barsoom and other ERB series available within the ebook library here on Mobileread.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
TeeJay

Thank you for the information. I had not seen the HarryT edition, and it seems to be head-and-shoulders above the various other free ones I found on Amazon and elsewhere. Now I can keep reading about John Carter after I have finished A Princess of Mars.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #5
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
While I have not yet read the following books in the series, I can say that Princess of Mars included in the omnibus posted by HarryT is beautifully formatted.

edit: I downloaded and glanced at the Mousecatcher version and it is beautifully formatted as well. The illustrations in the Mousecatcher version are in color and of good quality, while the illustrations in the version HarryT posted are monochrome scans. Whichever one you choose will be a pleasure to read.

Last edited by AndrewH; 02-26-2012 at 01:17 AM.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Mousecatchermedia generated an access denied action from Kasperksy anti-virus.

Your results may differ, but I've deleted the file. (I was only curious to see the color illustrations, anyway, as Harry's versions are always so much better.)

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #7
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No issues using Avast here.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My version, as currently posted, is not terribly good. As you can see from my signature, I'm currently proofing the entire series, and I'll post a revised omnibus when it's finished. "Princess of Mars" is OK, but some of the later books are in a pretty bad state.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
FWIW, Norton didn't flag the site, either. But, mediafire did open a lot of ads and a popunder ad on close (and tried a popup on open). Any of those ads could have been the source of a virus, as some of the shadier ad programs have been known to lead to massive infections.

Last edited by koland; 02-26-2012 at 09:32 AM.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
TeeJay

HarryT, I look forward to the revised version. Your work obviously is appreciated in these forums.

On the security front, the zip file I downloaded from mousecatcher raised no issues with Microsoft Security Essentials. I submitted the file to VirusTotal (43 engines including Kaspersky) and Jotti (20 engines including Kaspersky) and got no detections. I also had no issue with MSE or Firefox blocking the mousecatcher web site.

Mediafire is a well-known and much-used file hosting site. It's behavior may be annoying, but I have never found the site itself to be unsafe. Of course, you have to be careful about the files you download from Mediafire or any file hosting site. I did not get pop-ups or pop-unders from Mediafire, perhaps due to my browser settings and the fact that I use the AdBlock extension for Firefox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Princess of Mars Antivirus scan VirusTotal 2012-02-26.png
Views:	144
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	83077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Princess of Mars.zip - Jotti's malware scan 2012-02-26.png
Views:	158
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	83078  

Last edited by TeeJay; 02-26-2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thanks to Karen, sabredog, and TeeJay for testing the site with further anti-virus software.

ADVICE: To MobileRead's members - Make certain you have some kind of protection against popup/under ads before proceeding further.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My version, as currently posted, is not terribly good. As you can see from my signature, I'm currently proofing the entire series, and I'll post a revised omnibus when it's finished. "Princess of Mars" is OK, but some of the later books are in a pretty bad state.
HarryT, your effort is greatly appreciated.

I was a major Burroughs freak years ago when I was in my preteens, starting with the Tarzan books--leading me to pester my mother for raw meat, because if Tarzan ate it, it "had" to be way cool

Then I moved on to his other series. As well as books by other pulp authors, such as Robert E. Howard, etc. Sadly, all I have now is the first Tarzan book that I found in a used book store several years ago and bought just for grins.

I would have no objection to paying for current ebook versions, but nearly all of the reviews complain about poor formatting.

So, looking forward to when you complete the omnibus. Again, thank you.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
Sadly, all I have now is the first Tarzan book that I found in a used book store several years ago and bought just for grins.
You may want to check the E-book Uploads forum for the format of your choice. I know there are a number of Tarzan books in there.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
sabredog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I thought the omnibus was very good Harry, so I am looking forward to the revised edition.

Looks like another read is forthcoming....
Old 02-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
mousecatcher
mousecatcher will become famous soon enoughmousecatcher will become famous soon enoughmousecatcher will become famous soon enoughmousecatcher will become famous soon enoughmousecatcher will become famous soon enoughmousecatcher will become famous soon enough

Hi there!

Glad people have been enjoying the free mousecatcher edition of A Princess of Mars. I'm sorry Mediafire seems to have been raising virus alerts for a few people. It's certainly not anything to do with the files themselves -- and if those dratted pop-ups/pop-unders are causing concern, do feel free to grab the zip file instead from those who have got it successfully. The Mobi and ePub files are completely DRM-free and can be shared, emailed, re-hosted as much as people want.

The decision was only made to host them on Mediafire because should downloads really take off, we're a small outfit and might not be able to afford the hosting for thousands and thousands of downloads. (It's mostly me -- Art Mayo -- doing it out of frustration at not be able to find beautiful, reliable eBooks of my favourite adventure novels).

If anyone has any suggestions about good and affordable places to go for hosting, I'd be happy to look into it. I am confessedly pretty ignorant on the topic.

Best,

Art Mayo
mousecatcher Media
mousecatcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burroughs mousecatcher