Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
Firmware wishlist

Maybe jumping the gun, but /shrug. I assume that firmware upgrades will be over-the-air, and hopefully fairly painless. I also hope there's an indication (yes/no) that prompts us or tells us a firmware upgrade is available.

Seems people have had their devices for almost two weeks, and a number of people have made their complaints or criticisms known. I wonder how fast Amazon will be in listening and taking some of these to heart?

For myself, I think one of the biggest things I'd like in a new firmware would be the ability to disable/enable the right "next page" button. Maybe additional fonts would be nice, but I'm the kind of person who lives by "defaults" for many settings (because it causes less grief in the end).

Also, a "last page read" option might be nice. I forget which read used to have that option (MSReader?), but if you choose that, it would take you to last page you've read (obviously), which is nice sometimes, especially if I want to jump back a chapter or whatever to pick up something I missed (yes, I know bookmarks will take care of that issue, but that's besides the point).
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
rflashman
Zealot
rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rflashman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle, Archos 605 Wifi, & Sony PRS-500
Good point, we should start tracking build versions to see when/if they change. My Kindle is currently:

Version: Kindle 1.0 (121380292)
rflashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
JerryEF
JerryEF is on a distinguished road

Device: DellX51v / Amazon Kindle
Either a directory structure or, better yet, user definable categories (ala MobiPocket). The existing linear structure is not very good as collection grows beyond a few pages. If they are feeling ambitious, the ability to assign more that one category would also be nice (IE: Classics, Mystery, English...)

Flags associated with each book -- and a filter to include them in displays, exclude them from displays, or display them exclusively. Flags: New, Completed ... Other user defined flags....

Ability to redefine page turn button behavior. The way I hold my device, my left thumb sits over the PrevPage button. It would be nice for me to be able reverse the functionality of the Prev/Next page buttons. Future hardware editions need to completely re-think those controls anyway. For that matter, it might be nice to enable any of the keys on the keyboard as Prev/Next buttons. Some users might be better off completely disabling the side buttons (they do cause a lot of accidental page turns when picking device up or putting it down) and allowing some other USER DEFINED key to do the page turns. Easy firmware fix (workaround) to an ergonomic design flaw.
JerryEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
azog
Enthusiast
azog began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle
I just checked and mine is at 1.0 (121380292) also.
azog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I agree that redefinable key bindings would be a big help.

The thing that I really want, though, is an option for smaller line spacing. The current spacing gives far too few lines per page, particularly with the larger font sizes. None of the devices that use MobiPocket's Java Reader have user selectable line spacing (so this is MobiPocket's fault). Perhaps Amazon could just make the line spacing smaller by default, without making it user selectable.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert