Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Question on the 1.3 softroot

I just flashed my Nook with the 1.3 version softroot. Everything went fine. On the softroot touch screen menu there is both a "Launcher Settings" icon and a "Settings" icon. The Launcher setting menu works OK but when I touch the settings icon nothing happens. I can go to settings on the regular B&N icons though. Is that the way it is or did something maybe go wrong with the flash? Thanks.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #2
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
I just flashed my Nook with the 1.3 version softroot. Everything went fine. On the softroot touch screen menu there is both a "Launcher Settings" icon and a "Settings" icon. The Launcher setting menu works OK but when I touch the settings icon nothing happens. I can go to settings on the regular B&N icons though. Is that the way it is or did something maybe go wrong with the flash? Thanks.

~eddie
I think that's the way it is. I just hid that icon. I have been playing with the 1.3 softroot a little more and, for some reason, I like it more than the previous version. That one lasted about a week on my Nook before I reverted back to the stock 1.2.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I think that's the way it is. I just hid that icon. I have been playing with the 1.3 softroot a little more and, for some reason, I like it more than the previous version. That one lasted about a week on my Nook before I reverted back to the stock 1.2.
Thanks.

~eddie
Old 04-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
That problem has been fixed in nookLauncher 0.0.6. This version also includes icons for wifi, chess and sudoku. I'm not sure when it will be included in the 1.3 softroot package, but I believe there may be updates for a couple other applications in the softroot package coming soon.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
That problem has been fixed in nookLauncher 0.0.6. This version also includes icons for wifi, chess and sudoku. I'm not sure when it will be included in the 1.3 softroot package, but I believe there may be updates for a couple other applications in the softroot package coming soon.
Thank you.

~eddie
Old 04-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Is there a way to install nooklauncher 6 into the 1.3 softroot? Or are we better off just waiting for the next major release?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #7
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Thanks. I just flashed the nooklauncher and nooklibrary updates. Everything is fine now.

~eddie
Old 05-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #8
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Is there a way to install nooklauncher 6 into the 1.3 softroot? Or are we better off just waiting for the next major release?
I just did it. Check out the following links for instructions. The file in the first link is different but the process is the same.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...49&postcount=5

http://nookdevs.com/Nooklauncher

~eddie
Old 05-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #9
raoult
raoult began at the beginning.

Device: nook
eddie, thanks for the links! I just rooted my nook this evening, and updated both launcher and library. It is amazing how much nicer of a device the nook is once rooted.
raoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #10
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoult View Post
eddie, thanks for the links! I just rooted my nook this evening, and updated both launcher and library. It is amazing how much nicer of a device the nook is once rooted.
It is much nicer softrooted and there is potential for so much more in the future.

~eddie
Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Thanks for the links to the updated launcher. I already updated the library, updating the launcher should be easy.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
JerseyBiker
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
Thanks for the links to the updated launcher. I already updated the library, updating the launcher should be easy.
Just remember to uninstall the old version first. That part had me stumped at first. Uninstall is explained in the link.

~eddie
Old 05-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
emt
Nameless Being

NookDevs Site Disorganized?

Seems like the site is somewhat disorganized IMHO. How does anyone know that they are downloading the latest files? I'd like to softroot 1.3 but I read here that there are problems with nook library - and the Softdevs doesn't say if they are fixed.

Just an example - not trying to criticize but very difficult for a noob to understand the right way to do this without bricking.

Another example - is softroot light the same as "streamlined" and if so, why not just say this? And why would you use "lite" vs the one w/ADB

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on this
Old 05-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Seems like the site is somewhat disorganized IMHO. How does anyone know that they are downloading the latest files? I'd like to softroot 1.3 but I read here that there are problems with nook library - and the Softdevs doesn't say if they are fixed.

Just an example - not trying to criticize but very difficult for a noob to understand the right way to do this without bricking.

Another example - is softroot light the same as "streamlined" and if so, why not just say this? And why would you use "lite" vs the one w/ADB

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on this
Each of the latest apps are available from page for each application. The application links are in the upper left hand corner of the main page under the Navigation section.

Some people are intimidated by ADB, I suppose that is why a version without ADB is available to demonstrate that the softroot kit is useful even for those who aren't using ADB. OTOH, at the moment I would only use the ADB version since you need adb to update the various apps until they are rolled into a new softroot release.

So far the apps I wish to update as a user are NookLibrary and nooklauncher.

To install nook library 0.0.9
Code:
adb uninstall com.nookdevs.library
adb install nookLibrary.apk
Make sure to run that from a directory that contains the updated nookLibrary.apk

To install nooklauncher 0.0.6
Code:
adb uninstall com.nookdevs.launcher
adb install nookLauncher.apk
Again make sure to run that from a directory that contains the updated nookLauncher.apk

I hope this helps and this data is on the nookdevs.com wiki as well as in the forums, none of it is my original work. I am just repeating the advice of others.
-Duncan
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
emt
Nameless Being

Thanks very much for that very lucid answer