Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Two more Nook Reviews: Pogue and Mossberg go thumbs down

Nightmare publicity for the Nook.

Pogue

Quote:
To use the technical term, it’s slower than an anesthetized slug in winter.
Quote:
the touch screen is balky and nonresponsive, even for the Nook product manager who demonstrated it for me.
Quote:
In four days, my Nook locked up twice and displayed an “Android operating system has crashed” message twice.
Mossberg:

Quote:
During my tests, I found the Nook slower, more cumbersome to use and less polished than the Kindle. I ran into various crashes and bugs. And, while the Kindle's navigation system isn't exactly world class, it ran circles around the Nook's, despite the great possibilities offered by the latter's use of the touch screen.

The Nook may be wonderful one day, but, as of today, it's no match for the Kindle, despite advantages such as lending, because it's more annoying to use.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...nal_technology

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/10/te...e.html?_r=1&hp
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Just out of curiosity, since you've already posted s thread about Pogue's review, responded in a thread on the Mossberg review, written a "good-bye" post here in the nook forum... why did you feel the need to start this thread?

You said you were trying to help but you're coming across as trying to antagonize. Maybe it's time to leave it alone, we all know where you stand... we get it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

See this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...3&postcount=31
Old 12-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Ocean, you fail to mention the zdnet video review.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=2232

Was that because it was favorable?

You are reminding me of the people who posted against the Kindle when it first came out. "The buttons are too easy to push!!" "Its Ugly!" "why isn't it backlit???" "

Stop already. Enjoy your device of choice, and let others enjoy theirs.

Yes, the nook will have growing pains, like all devices. It will fix them, or die on the vine.

Let it go.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #5
Ocean
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Ocean, you fail to mention the zdnet video review.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=2232

Was that because it was favorable?
No, because I haven't watched it yet.

Btw, you can register your displeasure with Pogues review at the NYTimes. Some already have:

Quote:
I'm not saying the nook is perfect, and other than the fact that I ordered one I've got no skin in the game (not a b&n employee or anything), but I thought this review was incredibly unfair. And coming from a tech journalist that I usually enjoy and agree with, it actually upset me (probably more than it should).
Quote:
Maybe BN was quick to the draw, but so is a two day long review. You couldn't give it a week?
Old 12-09-2009, 11:37 PM   #6
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Am I losing too much steam here or am I just too snappy? COme one guys, Ocean is out to get me I think, I really can't wait for the nook's delivery so he comes along to crash parties...
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
slothrop
Enthusiast
slothrop began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_A_Crook View Post
Am I losing too much steam here or am I just too snappy? COme one guys, Ocean is out to get me I think, I really can't wait for the nook's delivery so he comes along to crash parties...
Your wait may be a mixed blessing. By the time you get your nook, some of these early problems might be already fixed!
slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
for lulz
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
Propheous
Connoisseur
Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Propheous has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook
Ocean is a troll and nothing more. He claims to be for some greater good by stating he has said some positive things. Half of his drivel is just that drivel. He points out relatively inconsequential factoids he things are important enough to share for nothing more then a bit of attention.

In the immortal words of the net

DON"T FEED THE TROLL.
Propheous is offline   Reply With Quote