Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
paulgreg
paulgreg began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad iRex
Exclamation Is my iLiad screen broken ?

I've just turned on my iliad (v1) this evening and I'm worried because the screen seems frozen.

It displays that Click image for larger version

Name:	iliad_broken.JPG
Views:	6929
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	18657 and only that !

I tried to turn it off and on again, use the reset switch but that doesn't help...

Is my iLiad screen broken ???
(my iLiad has not fallen, was not exposed to cold or hot...)

Is there a way to fix it ?

Any helps will be appreciate.
paulgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Looks like damage from pressure on the screen. Did you have something laying on it?

You'll have to have it repaired by iRex. It's definitely broken.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
paulgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Looks like damage from pressure on the screen. Did you have something laying on it?
No, not at all....

But It was it in my backpack today... So, I suppose somebody "pushed" on it, perhaps in the subway.
But that's strange because I do not remember that kind of behavior...

I'm sad about my broken iLiad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
You'll have to have it repaired by iRex. It's definitely broken.
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll contact iRex to have a price simulation (I'm afraid it will be expensive)...
Old 12-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Yeah, that's definitely a broken screen. There's a glass layer under the screen that has cracked. That's why it looks funny like that and why you don't feel anything unusual on the outside of the screen (the top layer is plastic).

Be prepared when you talk to iRex. Unfortunately, getting the screen replaced is usually VERY expensive.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
ouch reminds me of my PRS 500 which was sat on.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgreg View Post
No, not at all....

But It was it in my backpack today... So, I suppose somebody "pushed" on it, perhaps in the subway.
But that's strange because I do not remember that kind of behavior...

I'm sad about my broken iLiad...

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll contact iRex to have a price simulation (I'm afraid it will be expensive)...
Welcome in the club. I´ve also had a backpack kill ... start saving the 250 Euro for an update ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
paulgreg

Yeah, iLiad support respond me very shortly but with sad news : it will cost me 275 €.
That too expensive for me : I bought my iRex on second hand for 300 €.
So, I won't put so much money to have the screen replaced...

I think I'll wait an ebook reader "mainstream" and easier to use (like instant boot, less buggy and so on).

If somebody is looking for spare iRex parts, I will be glad to give it for free (I'm in Paris, France). Contact me by private message if you're interested.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
My screen looked a lot like this.
Well, im my case, traces showed it was hit, even if i don't know when or how. Luckily, my own screen was less expensive to replace.

My , theses screens are fragiles.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
ChrisMoller
Toymaster
ChrisMoller began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
My iLiad screen just quit, after having suffered the horrible abuse of having my wife put her purse down on it.

As far as I'm concerned, 275 euros to fix the thing is just about robbery--does anyone know of a source for replacement screens?
ChrisMoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMoller View Post
As far as I'm concerned, 275 euros to fix the thing is just about robbery
Most of that is the cost of the screen.

Quote:
does anyone know of a source for replacement screens?
No, you can't buy them yourself. The only place to get them is from PVI, who makes them. Even then, you can't just show up and order one at a time, at least not without paying a fortune. They deal directly with the device manufacturers, not individual consumers.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #11
ChrisMoller
Toymaster
ChrisMoller began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Most of that is the cost of the screen.

No, you can't buy them yourself. The only place to get them is from PVI, who makes them. Even then, you can't just show up and order one at a time, at least not without paying a fortune. They deal directly with the device manufacturers, not individual consumers.
Thanks for the response.

Since I only paid 380 euros for the gadget used from eBay, it's not really worth spending almost that much again fixing it.

I'm really annoyed at iRex for not making it a lot clearer how delicate the screen is--an annoyance I'm making as public as possible.
ChrisMoller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen iliad broken