Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by odo View Post
Knight Moves, by Walter Jon Williams, $.99 at most retailers:

http://www.walterjonwilliams.net/2013/10/99-cent-sale/

Hmm... I'll give it a go at £0.49 at Kobo (after BookRiot50 coupon). Originally published in 1985 by Tor, apparently.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #17
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I'm almost sure I read that in paper. I vaguely recall liking it.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by odo View Post
Knight Moves, by Walter Jon Williams, $.99 at most retailers:

http://www.walterjonwilliams.net/2013/10/99-cent-sale/
Thanks! I haven't read this one but I've liked everything else I've read by this author.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmarked View Post
From their website:
I'm a huge Robin Hobb fan (she's my favorite author)...but I don't get why they constantly run deals on Dragon Keeper. Get people to read Assassin's Apprentice instead. Start at the beginning.

Ditto for Feist's last trilogy, even more so...it's like book 20 or something of the Riftwar.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
I'm a huge Robin Hobb fan (she's my favorite author)...but I don't get why they constantly run deals on Dragon Keeper. Get people to read Assassin's Apprentice instead. Start at the beginning.

Ditto for Feist's last trilogy, even more so...it's like book 20 or something of the Riftwar.
I've definitely noticed that with Feist. I haven't read the Riftwar saga, but I'd like to start at the beginning...

Is the Rain Wilds series connected to Assassin's Apprentice? I think I have it from some freebie or other, but haven't read either.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
SpaceCowboy1964
Enthusiast
SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpaceCowboy1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOKcolor, NOOK for Android app, Kindle for PC app, Kindle for Android
When I went directly to B&N's website the 4th book The Savage Boy by Nick Cole in this sale was only 99 cents not $1.99 so you save even more there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmarked View Post
From their website:

Quote:
Five great Harper Voyager ebooks on sale!

We’re kicking off the month of October with some great ebook deals for our Harper Voyager titles! If you haven’t had a chance to read these authors, now is the perfect time to dive in — all titles are just $1.99!

DREAMS AND SHADOWS by C. Robert Cargill. A fabulous fairy tale/horror mash-up and brilliantly crafted modern tale from acclaimed film critic and screenwriter C. Robert Cargill — part Neil Gaiman, part Guillermo Del Toro, part William S. Burroughs — that charts the lives of two boys from their star-crossed childhood in the realm of magic and mystery to their anguished adulthoods.

DRAGON KEEPER, Volume One of the Rain Wilds Chronicles, by Robin Hobb. In this enthralling novel, Hobb returns to the territory of her beloved Liveship Traders and Tawny Man trilogies with a story of dragons and humans, return and rebirth, and the search for meaning, belonging, and home.

SECONDS by David Ely. Antiochus Wilson is completely and utterly bored with his life, until he receives the call that changes everything. When the voice on the other end of the line promises him excitement, wealth, and happiness, he is more than a little intrigued.

THE SAVAGE BOY by Nick Cole. Amid the remains of a world destroyed by a devastating armageddon, barbaric tribes rule the New American Dark Age. A boy and his horse must complete the final mission of the last United States soldier, and what unfolds is an epic journey across an America gone savage. Get this ebook just in time for the paperback of THE WASTELAND SAGA, out on Oct. 15.

A KINGDOM BESIEGED Book One of the Chaoswar Saga, by Raymond E. Feist. Midkemia’s fifth and final Riftwar — the devastating Chaoswar — explodes in the opening volume of Feist’s spectacular epic fantasy trilogy of magic, conflict, and world-shattering peril.

All ebooks available from: Amazon | iTunes | Books-A-Million | Kobo | Barnes & Noble | Google

U.S. promotion only. Most sales end 10/14.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:

Maybe this thread can include SF&F discussion like the romance thread does... *fingers crossed*

I've read up to Dragon Keeper in Hobb's "Realms of the Elderlings" series and Feist's Riftwar Saga. I thoroughly enjoyed them both and plan to continue both next year. Given that you are a Robin Hobb fan, what other series would be recommend? I have Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson on my list currently.

I don't know what determines which book gets a lower price - but I'll take them where I can get them
Old 10-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #23
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
I've definitely noticed that with Feist. I haven't read the Riftwar saga, but I'd like to start at the beginning...

Is the Rain Wilds series connected to Assassin's Apprentice? I think I have it from some freebie or other, but haven't read either.
On the recommends of my son, I've snagged the first "Liveships" book very cheap (in UK anyway - £1.92, Kin) - he says as I liked The Assassins,,," I'll definitely enjoy the series - also to try the Rain Wilds, apparently.....
Sometimes he knows what I'll like better than I do .........
Old 10-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
...but I don't get why they constantly run deals on Dragon Keeper. Get people to read Assassin's Apprentice instead. Start at the beginning.
In the US anyway it's two completely different publishers. Assassin's Apprentice (which has been free in the past) is Random House, Dragon Keeper is HarperCollins.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I snagged the free Assassin's Apprentice and then devoured the rest of the series (for real money!). But I couldn't get started on the Liveships or the Dragon series. Anyway, I can highly recommend the Assassin series!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #26
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Maybe this thread can include SF&F discussion like the romance thread does... *fingers crossed*

I've read up to Dragon Keeper in Hobb's "Realms of the Elderlings" series and Feist's Riftwar Saga. I thoroughly enjoyed them both and plan to continue both next year. Given that you are a Robin Hobb fan, what other series would be recommend? I have Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson on my list currently.

I don't know what determines which book gets a lower price - but I'll take them where I can get them
NO!!!!!

we have reading recommendations and discussions elsewhere. I really like being able to quickly scan through new deals, freebies, etc. I don't want to be bogged down by this kind of discussion when I am time challenged. I can seek these conversations out on my own when I have the time
Old 10-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #27
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
NO!!!!!

we have reading recommendations and discussions elsewhere. I really like being able to quickly scan through new deals, freebies, etc. I don't want to be bogged down by this kind of discussion when I am time challenged. I can seek these conversations out on my own when I have the time
I have to agree. The Free/Bargain threads should be limited to Freebies and Bargains. I know the Free/Bargain Romance is adding discussion, and find it's now hard to find any actual offers unless I rummage through new discussion.

They're cool and all, but not what I came to that forum for.

I think there's room somewhere for the discussions, just not here.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Glo, Nexus 7(2013)
Why not just start a Free Only thread? Bargains could be included in the discount/coupon idea.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #29
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal48 View Post
Why not just start a Free Only thread? Bargains could be included in the discount/coupon idea.
I rarely like to jump on the "'cause we've always done it that way" bandwagon, but it works this way. some of us can only do free, some rather low priced, and some have their eye caught by an interesting looking book that the may not normally pay for, but find it yummy enough to shell out the .99 to 3.99.

I know I look at this as the replacement of the used book store I went to pre-kindle days
Old 10-05-2013, 02:13 AM   #30
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal48 View Post
You are, of course, able to start a Free Only thread if you wish.
Closed Thread