Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
carlshank
carlshank began at the beginning.

Device: iPAD
Importing Kindle books to Calibre EPUB

When I try to convert Amazon Kindle books I downloaded into Calibre, it refuses to convert them to EPUB format. Solutions?
carlshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
If the books are DRM'd (a lot are) the DRM would need to be removed first.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
carlshank
carlshank began at the beginning.

Device: iPAD
So, how do I remove the DRM??
carlshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
acidburn517
acidburn517 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Ipad
I don't think that discussion is allowed here per forum rules.

You might want to try google , maybe?

Last edited by acidburn517; 05-03-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: grammar
acidburn517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlshank View Post
So, how do I remove the DRM??
Here are 2 Google searches that might shed some light on the subject.
Quote:
Search 1 - Search 2
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlshank View Post
When I try to convert Amazon Kindle books I downloaded into Calibre, it refuses to convert them to EPUB format. Solutions?
The best solution is not to buy DRM-restricted books. All the inconvenience and legal issues aside, every time you buy a DRM-restricted book, you're voting with your wallet in favor of DRM. Do we want a future in which some third party is in control of what we're allowed to read, and when, and where, and how?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
suzy
suzy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony psp 300
so where can you buy popular/best selling books that are not drm?
suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A couple of my favorite ebookstores:

Baen Books (via Webscription)
BookView Cafe
(O'Reilly is another one, but you don't strike me as the type who's looking for a good programming reference)

Personally, I'm more of a classics reader -- I actually bought my PRS-505 so I could read Project Gutenberg in bed!

If you just want to read whatever other people are reading, you're going to have a harder time of it; aside from the DRM, you're also going to pay more for an ebook than a physical book, in many cases. Check your local library for alternatives.

If everyone refuses to buy DRM-restricted books, though, and tells the publishers so (and ignores their spin about how our books have to be "protected" from us, because we're evil and all that), they'll get a clue. Money talks. Selling DRM-free books is working very well for O'Reilly, Baen, etc., who are major publishers in their specialties. If it works for them, it can work for the generalized publishers ... so long as we refuse to pay more for books we can use less.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy View Post
so where can you buy popular/best selling books that are not drm?
Don't forget that this site also has a lot of books free, ie it's more than the forum.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas777 View Post
Don't forget that this site also has a lot of books free, ie it's more than the forum.
Quite true. Popular and bestselling books of decades past are still good reading today. They're classics for a reason. Personally, I'd rather read a book that has been popular for a hundred years because of its quality than a book that has been popular for a month because of its advertising budget.

My free (as in both speech and beer) ebook sources, in order of preference, are MobileRead, Manybooks, Feedbooks, Project Gutenberg, Munseys, Google Books, and the Internet Archive.

That preference is determined almost entirely, by the way, by the quality of their formatting. MobileRead has the smallest selection, but the books are built by forum members, and they're the best out there, as good as or better than any commercial ebook. PG is of course the granddaddy of them all. Feedbooks and Manybooks mostly scrape PG, but they have better epubs, and Manybooks sometimes has things PG doesn't. Munseys annoys the heck out of me, starting with the covers they slap on coverless books, but they have stuff that nobody else has. Google Books is all over the map. IA ranges from bad to terrible, because most of their text is uncorrected OCRs of bad scans, but they have unique material, particularly primary sources I need for projects; thankfully, they have the original scans available.

What's this about free as in both speech and in beer? Free beer is gratis; you get the beer and it doesn't cost you anything. Free speech is libre; you can do what you want with it. It's quite possible for an ebook to be gratis but not libre (for example, a $0.00 Kindle book), or for it to be libre but not gratis (buying a DVD collection of public-domain works).

How does a DRM-free but copyrighted book fit into that? Simple: When I buy that book, I'm entering an agreement of honor with the publisher and the author. They're not stopping me from doing things I have a right to do with that book, and in return I'm not doing things I have no right to do with it. In more concrete terms, they're not controlling what I can read it on, and I'm not giving copies to anyone. While it's technically libre, it's not morally libre, and I act accordingly. That's what any civilized human being would do.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
What's this about free as in both speech and in beer? Free beer is gratis; you get the beer and it doesn't cost you anything. Free speech is libre; you can do what you want with it. It's quite possible for an ebook to be gratis but not libre (for example, a $0.00 Kindle book), or for it to be libre but not gratis (buying a DVD collection of public-domain works).

How does a DRM-free but copyrighted book fit into that? Simple: When I buy that book, I'm entering an agreement of honor with the publisher and the author. They're not stopping me from doing things I have a right to do with that book, and in return I'm not doing things I have no right to do with it. In more concrete terms, they're not controlling what I can read it on, and I'm not giving copies to anyone. While it's technically libre, it's not morally libre, and I act accordingly. That's what any civilized human being would do.
I agree with your sentiment, but you confuse DRM with non-libre.

A book that is libre, like software that is libre, is a book that you and your friends can legally share, copy, revise, make use of, write fan-fiction about, modify, quote, and otherwise use without legal restriction from copyright. A libre book may well be copyrighted, but, if it is, the owner of the copyright has made it libre by allowing all of the above.

A book that is not libre, like software that is not libre is one in which you cannot do those things.

Calibre is libre and we are the better for it, because we can all copy it, modify it and use it without restriction (or at least without most restrictions - the minimum necessary to keep it libre).

DRM is simply a tool used to force you not to do things that you are not allowed to do with a non-libre book. Even with the DRM removed, the book remains non-libre due to copyright restrictions. It is not the non-libre status that most object to. It is the fact that the DRM prevents even those things that we are allowed to do with the non-libre book, like read it on all our devices.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

I was trying to make a distinction between technical restrictions (DRM) and moral restrictions (honor) as means by which a book would be non-libre. Apparently I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. *I* knew what I was trying to say, but reading back over it, I can see how it came across as confusing. Thanks for the clarification for the people I have no doubt bewildered.