Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-21-2006, 02:29 AM   #1
Tscherno
iLiad Geek
Tscherno began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad #505; Sony T1, Amazon Paperwhite first Gen & sec is coming!
Ghosting

What are your opinions about the ghosting of the display? I find it partial really annoying. I think they could reduce it if they refresh the display two times on an page flip. Of course this would make it slower, but they could offer it as an configurable option.
Tscherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:40 AM   #2
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
TBH the only time I notice it is the first page going from the menu into a file.

After that first page, it seems to clear up or at least become less noticable.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 04:51 AM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Eink has two update modes in the display, "slow" and "fast". (and it seems they are working in a third one, "partial"). The fast one gives ghosting. The slow one takes one second and in the librie it was the worst option because your eyes whent into a cicle of adaptation to changing contrast, very stressful IMO.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I actually don't see ghosting apart from after I switch it on. I would have imagined that issue to be a lot more disturbing, but even if I search for it, I can't see it.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:16 PM   #5
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
I get constantly ghosting when I view PDF. The screen is never fully refreshed in this mode.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
vvoi666
Zealot
vvoi666 began at the beginning.

Quote:
I actually don't see ghosting apart from after I switch it on. I would have imagined that issue to be a lot more disturbing, but even if I search for it, I can't see it.
yeah, same here ... only in the menus at startup.
turning text pages show no ghosting (even when looking for it). no problem for everyday use.
might become a problem with pictures and graphs and pages with a lot of whitespace.
vvoi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
I get constantly ghosting when I view PDF. The screen is never fully refreshed in this mode.

Does the ghosting disturb you in this mode? Or is it easily ignored?
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I can see a bit ghosting if i concentrate on it. But noz´thing that bothers really. Sometimes, after a long time with not switching pages, ghosting is worse, but almost gone with next pageflip
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:52 AM   #9
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
Does the ghosting disturb you in this mode? Or is it easily ignored?
It depends. Sometimes it really disturbs me (if there are graphics on the page). It would be sufficient if I could initiate a manual screen refresh or if we could set our preferred screen refresh method in the preferences.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #10
Pitchfork
Connoisseur
Pitchfork began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad/Ipaq 6340
It seems that the pages slowly darken a little when the device is left for a while. This is quite clear to see in the configuration page when you move the selection up or down, a white area appears where the previous selection was. I have started flipping back and forth before reading when the device has been on charge. This lightens the screen and removes the ghosting.
Pitchfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #11
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Try writing on a blank page, then open a new blank page.
Your old writing will be visible for at least 15 seconds or more.
Funny thing is..
The ghosted drawing is brighter then the screen itself and then slowly fades to the same white-gray as the background.
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #12
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Quote:
Originally Posted by High 5
Try writing on a blank page, then open a new blank page.
Your old writing will be visible for at least 15 seconds or more.
Funny thing is..
The ghosted drawing is brighter then the screen itself and then slowly fades to the same white-gray as the background.
Have you got a photo of that? (Pretty please?)
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 02:04 AM   #13
High 5
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
High 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enoughHigh 5 will become famous soon enough

Device: Rocket ebook,Cybook, Hiebook, Iliad
Ok, pictures coming up:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghost 1.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	719.4 KB
ID:	1274   Click image for larger version

Name:	ghost2.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	692.5 KB
ID:	1275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghost3.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	828.0 KB
ID:	1276  
High 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:41 AM   #14
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Quote:
Originally Posted by High 5
Ok, pictures coming up:
But those are actual ghosts!!!

/me hides behind the sofa.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #15
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
High5, I am afraid to say so, but I think your iLiad is possessed!!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote