Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
yagiz
http://is.gd/4flJX
yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yagiz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3G
New e-readers will end black and white era

New e-readers will end black and white era

Quote:
E Ink Corporation of Cambridge, Massachusetts, says it will be demonstrating a colour version of its e-paper at the Society for Information Display conference in San Antonio, Texas, on 31 May, and that products based on its colour e-paper will be on the market by the end of 2010
yagiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Great, but I'd be happy with black & white versus the current gray and dark gray.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Good article which summarizes some of the emerging technologies affecting e-Readers> I say 'good article' since it reports facts and doesn't seem biased toward one approach over the other.

I didn't know "bendiness" was a word, so I learned something today. Now I have to add "bendiness" to my Microsoft Custom Dictionary because Microsoft didn't know it was a word either.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I didn't know "bendiness" was a word, so I learned something today. Now I have to add "bendiness" to my Microsoft Custom Dictionary because Microsoft didn't know it was a word either.
Be flexible.

Maybe English is a second language for the author.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Be flexible.
Ahhh...I get it, I comment on 'bendiness' and you reply 'be flexible'. Very good!

I wasn't judging at all, and truthfully I can imagine that I've actually said that word or similar before, though seeing it in print was another thing. New words are fine as long as they accurately communicate the concept and 'bendiness' works. I personally don't feel constrained by a closed lexicon. And after re-reading some of my writings every day, its obvious I don't feel constrained by a single spelling of a word.
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Well, it's good to have confirmation we will have this in the future (although looking at tech trends it wasn't hard to predict), but it will take years for it to become low priced and widespread. Outside of a small minority of eBook lovers and early technology adopters, I'd say widespread adoption of even black and white eBook readers has only been begun by Amazon's efforts at promoting the Kindle.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Since the phrase was "the bendiness of paper", I actually think 'bendability' was the proper word choice. 'Flexibility' can also mean 'useful for many purposes', not just the ability to bend, but there was no need to make up another word, likeable as the word is.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
'Bendiness' is a perfectly cromulent word. Its usage embiggens us all.

Last edited by sirbruce; 05-20-2009 at 01:59 PM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
'Bendiness' is a perfectly cromulent word. It's usage embiggens us all.
Jeremiah Springfield!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Be flexible.

Maybe English is a second language for the author.
Well, the author also talks about flexible transistors. Perhaps science is a second language as well. There is no need for flexible transistors and I can't imaging flexing a transistor that is only only a few nanometers wide.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Great, but I'd be happy with black & white versus the current gray and dark gray.
I would also vastly prefer real white now instead of dark colors replacing dark greys next year.
I will replace my Hanlin clone only with a device equipped with a screen as white as the pages of quality books.
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #12
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
One thing I -don't- want to see is them abandon the monochrome displays before the colour screens have the same black (ok, gray) and white (ok, gray) contrast that the current screen has. Otherwise for probably 98% of the text in a book you'll read, even in a textbook or technical manual, it would be a step backward. I don't see the benefits of colour outweighing that.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnareAcademy View Post
I would also vastly prefer real white now instead of dark colors replacing dark greys next year.
I will replace my Hanlin clone only with a device equipped with a screen as white as the pages of quality books.
Then it is not likely to be e-Ink. The white of an E-Ink screen starts out with totally white Ink modules but the U-V screen and other protective screens between the ink and the user cause the graying of the ink. The E-Ink guy I talked to says they are trying to make it whiter but so far this is the best they have been able to do. It will likely never be as white as a high quality paper book. The reflective nature of the design where light has to pass through the layers of the screen twice is a good part of the problem. I suppose you could give up on UV protection if you wanted your screen to have a short life.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:49 AM   #14
IgnareAcademy
Banned
IgnareAcademy is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanlin clone
Bad news for me but interesting!
I believe one of these technologies can help me be more satisfied later this year though:
http://www.epapercentral.com/epaper-technologies-guide
IgnareAcademy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The reflective nature of the design where light has to pass through the layers of the screen twice is a good part of the problem. I suppose you could give up on UV protection if you wanted your screen to have a short life.
There can be some progress in making e-ink more UV-resistant, for instance.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote