Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
luisbeltran
luisbeltran doesn't litterluisbeltran doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 / Iphone
Unhappy My Sony Reader only shows: "USB connected"

Hi all,

After connect a damaged USB wire to my Sony Reader PRS-500 and disconnected it, the device only show the legend "USB connected", but there's not any wire plugged!

The data (books, images,etc) are accesible by the eBook Library, I can read, add and delete any file bye this soft in my PC.

When I perform a reset or hard-reset, the screen turns off, after that show the legend "Starting up..." and after that return to screen "USB connected".

I had try (founded in this forum):

1) Reset
2) Hard Reset
3) reset 10 times and update firmware
4) Unbrick
5) update firmware
6) wait to discharge the battery and then re-charge whit the wall (PSP) charger more than 16hs.
7) Hard Reset whit the wall charger connected.
8) Connect and disconnect an USB wire (good one) many times.
9) Try a un hack bye an SD card without results.

In any situations the screen returns to the legend "USB connected" (I HATE this legend!! ) and I can't do anything.

Is it possible that the USB wire damaged affect in any way the device's USB connector?

I live in Argentina and here no exists Sony's Tech support to Sony Reader, anyone can help me?

Thank you!

Luis.

www.luisbeltran.com
luisbeltran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
luisbeltran

Anybody can help me? :'(
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
If you're been able to reflash it using an 'offical' updater, I can't think what else you might do as far as software's concerned. The only thing I could suggest is physically checking the USB port to ensure that there's not some problem with any of the contacts touching? Maybe take it apart and see if that lets you get a different view, in case that shows anything up.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sorry, but I didn't reply because I had no idea what to tell you. Except to say that I hope the problem gets fixed soon. Did you try a new USB cable, to see if hooking it back up and letting it re-synch would work?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try hitting the reset button on the back under the cover. It's a pin hole type reset button.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
try getting a bright light and see in the mini USB hole on the reader if there's any dust, wires or anything short circuit-ing or looking wrong (eg: broken plastic etc..).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
luisbeltran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
The only thing I could suggest is physically checking the USB port to ensure that there's not some problem with any of the contacts touching?
gwynevans: Thank you for your reply.

I disassembled the reader and check the usb port, but I saw it fine.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #8
luisbeltran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Did you try a new USB cable, to see if hooking it back up and letting it re-synch would work?
Hi DixieGal: Yes, I've try your suggest without positive results.

Thank you for your replay.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
luisbeltran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try hitting the reset button on the back under the cover. It's a pin hole type reset button.
JsWolf: Have you read my original post?

Thank You anyway.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #10
luisbeltran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
try getting a bright light and see in the mini USB hole on the reader if there's any dust, wires or anything short circuit-ing or looking wrong (eg: broken plastic etc..).
Yesss and the usb hole is clear.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it's going through the full boot sequence and THEN instantly switching to the "USB Connected" screen, then it seems likely that you've damaged the USB socket on the Reader. Perhaps two of the pins are bent to touch one another, making the Reader think that a cable is connected?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
It really does sound like a USB port issue. On mine, if I insert an unconnected USB cable, it does nothing, however, if I plug in a USB charger, it pops up the USB connected screen, yet does nothing except drain the battery. It is possible that either one of the USB pins is damaged, or something inside shorted or came loose.
You could probably map out the pins with a multimeter to see if anything is active. I don't know how they work, I always get my dad to check circuits for me.

¡Buena suerte!
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #13
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
change usb cable?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
connect, prs-500, usb