Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:08 AM   #76
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
where are these OPF files?
I made two directories, one contains the HTML source (HTML + images + OPF file) files. The other the resulting PRC files. So, after I make the PRC file, I will move this resulting PRC to another directory:

so, it would be like this:

ebooks\HTML\[G - L]\Herbert, Brian\Legends of Dune\Herbert, Brian - [Legends of Dune 00] - Hunting Harkonnens.opf
ebooks\PRC\[G - L]\Herbert, Brian\Legends of Dune\Herbert, Brian - [Legends of Dune 00] - Hunting Harkonnens.prc

I pointed Calibre to the ebooks\PRC directory.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 AM   #77
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What does running the command

mobi-meta filename.prc

on the PRC files give you?
Advert
Old 03-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #78
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
And how do I do that?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #79
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

open up a command prompt (look in the start menu for it) and type

cd "c:\path\to\the\folder\with\the book in it"

then type

dir

to make sure you are in the correct folder

then type

mobi-meta "filename.mobi"
Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 AM   #80
ddave
Enthusiast
ddave began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post Beginner questions

I'm new to ereaders and to this forum so forgive me if any requested information is discussed elsewhere. I'm trying to decide if I'd like an ebook reader and which to get, currently leaning towards the Sony PRS-700. However, I'd like to better understand how I'm going to generate the files that I want to read, how does Calibre work, is it a replacement for (or instead of) the Sony program (or Kindles).
Based on what I've read over the past 2 weeks, I'm not sure I'm interested in buying any eBooks because I don't want to be annoyed with the extra work associated with the DRM stuff. Sounds like I have to register the reader with the seller (Sony or Amazon, unless I buy an BeBook or other foreign device) who will then control what I can do with the device that I paid for.
I have many documents that I would like to read (and be portable). I am a scientist and so I have many PDF files - a quick test a the local Borders showed how the 700 could work with PDF files.

Question 1: Is there any way to tell from the properties of a PDF file whether the text is reflowed or an image? A PDF file I created from Wikipedia worked rather well, while PDF's that I copied from scientific journals (graphs and equations) didn't work as well.

Question 2: If I'm not going to need the Sony program (is there a conflict with Calibre), then to read a Word DOC file, can I just save it as an RTF file?

Question 3: Can I download the user manual for Calibre from somewhere so that I understand better what it's doing and how I will use it on my computer.

Question 4: Which computer (or all) should I use. I have a home desktop computer, family laptop computer and my main computer at work ( a laptop). When I travel for work (frequently at present) I'll have the work laptop with me. But, there is a firewall at work.

I was able to copy ePub files to an SD card and read load the book on the PRS-700 so that would be an effective way to read free books.

Question 5: I'm concerned that buying DRM books will make it more complicated for me to read all the other documents that I need access to. In that case, I may just use it to read free books and my technical documents and wait for the market to settle.

Question 6: I am also teaching myself Russian. I read somewhere that the LRF file structure can include font information. Can I read cyrillic text on the 700?

Sorry for so many questions, but the procedures for reading technical documents aren't usually discussed.
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #81
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Question about series numbers

I have Calibre up and running beautifully.

I have books sorted by Author, A-Z

Within the author, however, I notice that the series numbers do not sort chronologically.

All of Agatha Christies books are together, but the series numbers are mixed up.

If I sort by series number, the authors are mixed up.

Is there a fix for this? Granted, its not earth shattering.........Thanks for any help.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #82
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

search by series first, then by author
Old 03-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #83
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If sorting by series and then by author still leaves some of them out of order you need to check the Author Sort field in the metadata. This is actually the value sorted on when sorting the author column.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 PM   #84
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
search by series first, then by author
That did it!! Thank you.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:54 PM   #85
lala
lala began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I used the Fetch News button to schedule automatic downloads of the recipes included in version 0.5. I've decided that I don't want some of the feeds anymore. How do I "unschedule" these automatic downloads?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #86
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In the fetch news dialog, look under subscriptions
Old 03-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #87
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If sorting by series and then by author still leaves some of them out of order you need to check the Author Sort field in the metadata. This is actually the value sorted on when sorting the author column.
Its amazing the 'little' things that will leave them out of order.

If some are listed as "last name, first name"
and some are listed as "last name, first name middle initial"
They won't sort.

Also, the 'series number' must be the same.

Some I had inadvertently transposed the number, but when I changed it they sorted perfectly.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #88
martizzle
martizzle began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
new to calibre....How do I use it to create an online catalog of ebooks on my website? Step-by-step would be nice....
Old 03-16-2009, 10:00 AM   #89
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Calibre was meant to run on your PC, not on a remote website (unless, of course, you have a dedicated server and can run all sort of apps on it). Calibre has a built-in http server for serving online catalogs.

For shared hosting, if you want something you can upload to your website, check out Calibre2Web (currently Windows only) by itimpi. Instructions are in the zip file. You just upload the generated XML files along with a copy of your Calibre library to your webhost. It even presents you with a hierarchical/categorical view of your library ala-Stanza which is something currently missing from the built-in Calibre server.

Just remembered, ChrisZA made a very clear, easy to follow guide over here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42023

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-16-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #90
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
I apologize if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it searching but the only search terms I could think of were pretty broad.

If I convert a file outside of Calibre, is there a way to add it to an existing Calibre record? For example, if I have a PDF and use either the Calibre command line tool or Mobi to convert it can I import the converted mobi file into Calibre without creating a second record with the same title?

I tried just copying the file into the same directory, but it wasn't recognized.
Closed Thread