Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Who's WHO?

It was suggested that I start a new thread about this, rather than (or perhaps in addition to) corrupting the "Corrupt-a-wish" thread.

My first Doctor was Tom Baker, but I've seen a few of the others as well, generally on poor quality VHS tapes being passed around by fans. Now a lot of the early episodes are becoming available on DVD, even in the benighted USA. So I've been checking into which episodes are actually available (after that awful purge by the BBC).

Here are my picks to build up my Doctor Who collection (all I have currently is the first three seasons of "new" Doctor Who):

The Beginning Collection - First Doctor Who eps! (Hartnell) First Daleks!
The Dalek Invasion of Earth - More Daleks!
The Tenth Planet (1975) - First Cybermen! Last Hartnell! (But way too expensive as OOP VHS.)

The Tomb of the Cybermen - Early cybermen ep - Troughton

Spearhead from Space - First Pertwee ep, first (?) UNIT ep
The Claws of Axos (Episode 57) - Early face-off against The Master
The Green Death (Episode 69) - Doctor Who plus hippie environmentalists
The Time Warrior (Episode 70) - First Sarah Jane episode!

Robot (Episode 75) - First Tom Baker episode
Genesis of the Daleks (Episode 78) - Greek tragedy "seeds of own destruction" stuff
The Hand of Fear (Episode 87) - Last Sarah Jane Ep.
The Deadly Assassin - Solo Doctor ep, history on Gallifrey (VHS only)
The Invasion of Time (Episode 97) - What if the Doctor was EVIL? And took over Gallifrey? (VHS)
The Key to Time Collection - One of my favorite stories
City of Death (Episode 105) - Co-written by Douglas Adams - very funny story
New Beginnings (The Keeper of Traken / Logopolis / Castrovalva) - Transition from Tom Baker to Peter Davidson

Earthshock (Episode 122) - Peter Davidson vs. the Cybermen
Resurrection of the Daleks (Episode 134) - Peter Davidson vs. the Daleks

Beneath The Surface (Doctor Who And The Silurians / The Sea Devils / Warriors Of The Deep) - Pertwee (twice) and later Davidson face the same aliens three different times - and are unable to negotiate peace.

Doctor Who: The Complete Fourth Series - Obviously!!!

Any other suggestions? Does anyone remember when The Master first shows up?

Evidently my husband is more of a Leela fan, as well. Anyone want to suggest a particularly good Leela episode?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
City of Death (Episode 105) - Co-written by Douglas Adams - very funny story
That is a brilliant story. Duggan is one of my favourite characters, and the art gallery scene with John Cleese is superb.

Quote:
Any other suggestions?
Only on VHS,and I'm not sure if I'm only recommending this because it's another Adams script - but Shada. It was never aired, mostly because it was never finished as it got hit by industrial action, but it was released to VHS with Tom Baker narrating the missing bits. As far as I know it's not been released on DVD.

Actually, I'm also recommending it because I am a huge fan of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, in which bits of it were recycled.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hm. Those are all good potential selling points.

Also, I never saw any Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, or Paul McGann episodes. So if anyone would like to recommend one or two, I might consider adding them to the list. Just for the sake of completeness.

Looks like the Master first appears in "Terror of the Autons," btw. It's out on VHS only, but I've added it to my Amazon list.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The Paul McGann film of 1999 is rather nice. He falls for a heart surgeon, but they are each committed to their own work, so the romance is doomed. And he saves the world from the Master as the milllennium midnight approaches.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wasn't Paul McGann just in the made for TV movie? (as far as visual appearances go, I know he's done some audio)

Colin Baker - I can only remember his shoes and, vaguely, the first lines of his first appearance at the end of Peter Davison's last one. Peri stutters I... I... I... as he regenerates, to which the Doctor replies something like "Three "I"s in one breath - you sound like a very egotistical young lady"

Sylvester McCoy - the ones I remember as being worth watching are Battlefield, Ghostlight, The Curse of Fenric and The Greatest Show in The Galaxy.
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Wasn't Paul McGann just in the made for TV movie? (as far as visual appearances go, I know he's done some audio)
That's right. But it was an agreeable film: much better than Peter Cushing's outing as Doctor Who, in a rather dull film.
BBC 7 are repeating Paul McGann's audio Doctor Who on Fridays.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
The Paul McGann film of 1999 is rather nice. He falls for a heart surgeon, but they are each committed to their own work, so the romance is doomed. And he saves the world from the Master as the milllennium midnight approaches.
Apparently only available on Region 2 DVD at this point, or VHS. Many of the reviewers on Amazon seem to have panned it, but a recommendation from Patricia is not to be taken lightly!

Did anyone see the "Trial of a Time Lord" series with Colin Baker?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Neko-chan, first let me explain. I decided to collect the complete Doctor Who show as it was released on DVD as a collection. So I have done so, but I haven't watched them all. I find that I don't like to watch the series "chopped up" (so to speak.) I'd rather watch several season as one serial, but that's not available yet.

As to your questions, A good Leela episode that is available on DVD is The Talons of Weng Chiang. And another that is available is The Robots Of Death.

Paul Gann made only the made-for-TV, which is only available in the UK. I have a multi-region player.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Doctor Who (before the Tardis)

BBC news website has some details about the early days of Dr Who.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
and do "we" approve of the latest incarnation of the Who ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I don't know yet. I'd have to actually see an episode.

So... as an update, not only did a kind and wonderful friend give me the 4th season (new episodes) as a Christmas gift, but the same kind friend also gave me the Hartnell "The Beginning" set of the earliest episodes, as well as three key Tom Baker stories. (Robot, Genesis of the Daleks, and the Hand of Fear)

The new guy seems a bit young to me, but I try to keep an open mind. (I'd been vaguely hoping for a sort of steampunk look for the next one.)
Old 01-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #12
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
never fear, sir tennent has 4 more to go this year - before the newbie arrives....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Apparently only available on Region 2 DVD at this point, or VHS. Many of the reviewers on Amazon seem to have panned it, but a recommendation from Patricia is not to be taken lightly!
I too enjoyed the Paul McGann movie - but I'm not a fan of the TV series.

I think it's mainly fans of the series that dislike the film (sets not wobbly enough or summat).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Ok the only thing I can add to this thread is that I want to marry David Tennant.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
The new guy seems a bit young to me, but I try to keep an open mind. (I'd been vaguely hoping for a sort of steampunk look for the next one.)
Dr Who going more steampunk would be awesome.

I have to confess I was very upset when it turned out the "doctor" in The Next Doctor wasn't actually the next doctor.

Now I'm hoping they'll do a spin-off with him, and really let rip with steampunk themes.