Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
micione20
Enthusiast
micione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: kobo
new kindle 2012 black duokan-able

is the new model of kindle released in september2012 (at 69 $ and 79 €)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

http://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B007...rd_i=426865031

able to run duokan (and epub)?

thanks a lot
micione20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
micione20
Enthusiast
micione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy bluemicione20 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

no one knows this model or noone knows the correct answer?

is this post talking about this kindle version?
http://bbs.duokan.com/forum/thread-72877-1-1.html

thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
That is what this page says (ask google to translate for you):
http://bbs.duokan.com/forum/thread-57563-1-1.html

(K4, Non-Touch, Black)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
*cough*
Quote:
k4 non-touch and K4 black version, depending on the version of the original system, the installation method is not the same. View the version number of the original system: click menu to select the settings, and click again to the menu, the bottom right corner of the version can be seen at the original system version number in the original system. The original system was 4.00 and 4.01 with the following two-step installation method, the original system 4.10 Please use the following the DDQ installation method. Duokan2012 two-step installation method (4.00 and 4.01) installation "2012" to the Kindle 4 see more, just need to manually restart the Kindle once do not need to use the installer does not need to enter debug mode. 1. copy DK_System and data.tar.gz (in the windows system, data.tar.gz may hide the default format display only data.tar, this is normal) 1.1 Connect the USB cable the copy DK_System folder to the Kindle disk. 1.2 copy "K4_4.0.0_to_4.0.1 _ version "folder under the data.tar.gz of Kindle disk. 1.3 popup Kindle disk. 1.4 Unplug the USB cable . manually restart the Kindle 2.1 buttons Menu -> select Settings -> click OK -> button again Menu -> Restart 2.2 Restart is selected , will automatically release and run the install script after the installation is completed the Kindle automatically enter to see more, please be patient, the installation process takes about five minutes (the installation process will install interface) Description: must be strictly in accordance with the previously described steps, the first pop-up Kindle disk, and then pull the USB cable. If unsuccessful, again copy data.tar.gz and repeat step 2 can. Duokan2012 the DDQ installation method (4.10) 1 Copy the installation files, restart the Kindle 1.1 connection USB cable, copy the installation files to the Kindle disk; pop-up Kindle disk Unplug the USB cable. Copies of the file list is as follows : folder DK_System, diagnostic_logs files: ENABLE_DIAGS, data.tar.gz Note: In addition to the DK_System folder, the rest of the folders and files stored path is the "K4_4.1.0_ version 1.2 Restart Kindle folder . If you do not know how to restart the Kindle, follow the steps to confirm the Restart menu. The restart the characteristic picture: trees, lightning: (1) Press the HOME key to reach the main page (2), selected Settings pop-up menu (3) Press the MENU key , press the button 5-WAY determine (4) Press the MENU key, pop-up menu (5) selected Restart, sure . diagnostic mode selection the DDQ menu, installation to see more ( Note, the third step is the left button !) 2.1 5-WAY button to select D) Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags press 2.2 Select D) the Disable Diagnostics five to key the button to confirm the five recognized to key in key 2.3 select Q) To continue, press five to the key of the left button to confirm DDQ, K4 will restart to enter automatically install interface, approximately 2 minute installed. Installation interface is shown in Figure 9-14. After installation automatically restart, enter to look at the system.
*cough*
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Summary: The installation method depends on the firmware version, not the color. And amazon support said that the ONLY difference is the case color.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon was comparing the K4B to a K4 which had been updated to the current firmware release.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
micione20
Enthusiast

perfect!

so i can proceed to checkout this new kindle. i'm a k3 (keyboard wifi) user with duokan epub books, so i need another kindle able to read epub with duokan!

thanks a lot!
Old 10-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
mkl
mkl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5
So, has anyone actually tried installing Duokan on a Kindle 5?
I can't seem to find any indications that this has been done. No YouTube videos, no written tutorials.
I just bought a Kindle 5 and haven't unboxed it yet. I'm considering returning it for a Kindle 4 that I know will run Duokan.
mkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl View Post
So, has anyone actually tried installing Duokan on a Kindle 5?
I can't seem to find any indications that this has been done. No YouTube videos, no written tutorials.
I just bought a Kindle 5 and haven't unboxed it yet. I'm considering returning it for a Kindle 4 that I know will run Duokan.
According to Duokan website, it can also be installed on K4 black. see
http://bbs.duokan.com/forum/thread-73400-1-1.html

the installation method is the same as that of the original K4.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
mkl

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post

So, to be completely sure, the Kindle listed as fifth generation Kindle on Wikipedia is actually called Kindle 4 Black or K4 Black in the world of Duokan? I got the ad-free version.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #11
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
The fimware version here denotes the number we give it. For example, My kindle runs firmware 3.4, so it is a K3
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post

That linked page also lists Duokan for the Kindle Touch (K5).
Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
mkl

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
The fimware version here denotes the number we give it. For example, My kindle runs firmware 3.4, so it is a K3
Oh, I've learned something new. Now, before opening the box I have one last problem. I can't seem to succeed with downloading the actual firmware file because the download page is in chinese: http://www.vdisk.cn/down/index/11093442
I press "Start the download" (translated from chinese) after waiting a few seconds, but then I get a popup asking me to enter something. The window title states something in chinese that is an image and not text, so I can't translate it with Google Translate.
Ideas?
Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

That is a "Captcha" pop-up.

The link above is for the Kindle "mini" (K4) - not the Kindle Touch (K5)
I thought you posted that you had a Kindle Touch in the box (or was that a typo?).

This is what a K4 looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1gZ3BUaHRQ
Notice the buttons along the lower bezel.

This is what a K5 looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE0FECvKZwQ
Notice the single "home" button on the lower bezel.

(And a Kpw has the "Kindle" name on the lower bezel, no "home" button.)

Edit:
Ref: That K5 review: "Certainly you can't show videos on this display" - Yeah! Right!
But that video is over a year old.

Also, each of our device specific Wiki index pages has a picture of the respective model in the upper right hand corner.

Last edited by knc1; 10-18-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #15
mkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is a "Captcha" pop-up.

The link above is for the Kindle "mini" (K4) - not the Kindle Touch (K5)
I thought you posted that you had a Kindle Touch in the box (or was that a typo?).

This is what a K4 looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1gZ3BUaHRQ
Notice the buttons along the lower bezel.

This is what a K5 looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE0FECvKZwQ
Notice the single "home" button on the lower bezel.

(And a Kpw has the "Kindle" name on the lower bezel, no "home" button.)
I have this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPXA0uqMG_c
but without the ads. It is the fifth generation non-touch Kindle. It seems it is called K4 Mini (?) Black or K4B here and on the Duokan forums, based on the firmware version it has. I can't be sure exactly what firmware mine has though, as I haven't opened the box yet, but I suppose it is 4.X something.
Thanks for the captcha headsup. Quite an unconventional captcha.