Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-21-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Alternatives to Audible?

Apart from Librivox, what are the alternatives to Audible? I'm not interested in a subscription model, I just want to be able to buy a downloadable audiobook now and then.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Apart from Librivox, what are the alternatives to Audible? I'm not interested in a subscription model, I just want to be able to buy a downloadable audiobook now and then.
Do the big "High Street" stores in Sweden not have a prescence online at all, with audiobooks ?

Not too well-up on the Swedish buying situation, but can you not for example, access UK publishers of audiobooks, or US sites, from there ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
peegee
Enthusiast
peegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
http://www.audiogo.com/uk is the official BBC site. They have audio books and radio dramatisations. They say they accept orders from outside the UK but some items may have restrictions...
peegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Don't know about your geographic restrictions, but most publishers have audiobook divisions and so do the big book retailers. Others include:
Tantor is running a 50% off sale on its entire catalog during the month of June (exp 30 Jun 2012).
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Books on board also has audiobooks.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
That hadn't occurred to me. I took a look at Adlibris and it was as I feared, very few downloadable audio books in English. It the same thing with the Swedish company Elib where you can borrow and listen to streamed audiobooks, almost nothing in English. We also have the Naxos Spoken Word Library and it has an app but it's also just streamed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Do the big "High Street" stores in Sweden not have a prescence online at all, with audiobooks ?

Not too well-up on the Swedish buying situation, but can you not for example, access UK publishers of audiobooks, or US sites, from there ?
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
For the record, you don't have to subscribe to Audible to buy their books. I don't know how the non-member prices compare, but the option is there.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
With the Audible subscription model you get credits each month that you can roll over for months before using them, you don't have to choose an audiobook every month. You could also cancel the subscription after a few months and one of the options they seem to give you is to stay a member without any monthly credits for $9.99 a year which gives you access to many of their sales. I believe tubemonkey chose this option.

For the summer Sync is offering two free audiobooks each week, you might like some of those.

Do you have access to Overdrive via your public library system in Sweden? That's where I get most of my audiobooks.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
You could also cancel the subscription after a few months and one of the options they seem to give you is to stay a member without any monthly credits for $9.99 a year which gives you access to many of their sales. I believe tubemonkey chose this option.
I have the Basic Membership Plan and there's no fee. I qualify for most of the offers - percents off, $10 credits, $0.99 audiobooks, etc. Every now and then, I don't qualify for an offer. This plan is no longer available.

The one you're referring to might be the AudibleListener Light Plan:

Quote:
AudibleListener Light. The AudibleListener Light Plan is available only on an annual basis and only to Gold Members and Platinum Members who want to downgrade their plan type. AudibleListener Light Plan members do not receive Membership Credits (defined below) but a Gold Member or Platinum Member converting to the AudibleListener Light Plan may have AudibleListener Rollover Credits that they can rollover when they downgrade. If you downgrade to the AudibleListener Light Plan, each year, on the yearly renewal date, Audible will charge your credit card the yearly plan fee.

Basic Membership Plan. The Basic Membership Plan is available only to existing Basic Members. The Basic Membership is no longer available to current AudibleListener Members. Any changes to the Basic Membership Plan will be communicated to existing Basic Members by Audible via email.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I have the Basic Membership Plan and there's no fee. I qualify for most of the offers - percents off, $10 credits, $0.99 audiobooks, etc. Every now and then, I don't qualify for an offer. This plan is no longer available.

The one you're referring to might be the AudibleListener Light Plan:
Thanks for clarifying, the AudibleListener Light Plan sounds like what was offered to my hubby when he cancelled his subscription. I'll probably switch to that once the novelty of credits wears off.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #11
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Free audiobooks available here - all old classics and public domain stuff, hasn't been updated in a long time. The free versions are fairly poor quality but you can pay for higher quality versions and also buy in bulk on CDs or DVDs. This is where I had my first taste of audiobooks before audible.com even came into being. Love the Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars and Tarzan series!

http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/home
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Thanks for clarifying, the AudibleListener Light Plan sounds like what was offered to my hubby when he cancelled his subscription. I'll probably switch to that once the novelty of credits wears off.
I cancelled just before Christmas and the offers I've taken advantage of, would easily pay for the $9.99 yearly fee. Since Nov 2011, they've already had two "Buy 4, Get $10 Credit" promos, plus numerous sales. That plan is definitely worth the small fee.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
Free audiobooks available here - all old classics and public domain stuff, hasn't been updated in a long time. The free versions are fairly poor quality but you can pay for higher quality versions and also buy in bulk on CDs or DVDs. This is where I had my first taste of audiobooks before audible.com even came into being. Love the Edgar Rice Burroughs Mars and Tarzan series!

http://www.audiobooksforfree.com/home
Check out this thread: Free Audiobooks - Sync. Sync is giving away two free audibooks every week for 10 weeks. Today started week two. This site is geared toward young adults and the two free offerings are related to each other, One book is contemporary and the other one is a classic. These are paid versions and generally high quality recordings. So, here's a chance to pick up some quality classic audiobooks.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'm an Audible Platinum Member. I pay $22.95 a month for two credits. Seeing most audiobooks are $20+ this is a great deal. I joined at 1 credit a month but then I realized even with member prices minus the sales I would save more with the higher plan. Audible has alot of sales. I purchases 3 extra credits when they offered that for $25. I can roll up to 12 credits so I am very happy with this plan.

I also buy Audiobooks from Books on Board when they are on sale.
I get most of my Audiobooks from my local library through Overdrive. Although they have been cut off from most sources thanks to greedy publishers the selection isn't too bad for older books.

Last edited by Blossom; 06-21-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I purchases 3 extra credits when they offered that for $25.
Now that's a great deal, since you can then buy books you really want. Was that deal just for Platinum members? or both plans?