Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #91
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
It's finally worked its way to the top of my TBRL, and I'm a few pages in. I like the descriptive language and the general mood - will definitely keep going. The first thing it brought to mind was the video game Fallout 3, with the post-apocalyptic families living in underground silos. Great game.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #92
hard-boiled pat
The Night Was Moist
hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hard-boiled pat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo,kindle,supernova, playbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
It's finally worked its way to the top of my TBRL, and I'm a few pages in. I like the descriptive language and the general mood - will definitely keep going. The first thing it brought to mind was the video game Fallout 3, with the post-apocalyptic families living in underground silos. Great game.
fallout 3 was an awesome game... 10/10
hard-boiled pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:35 AM   #93
hughhowey
Enthusiast
hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughhowey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
It's half past midnight, I'm half way through First Shift - Legacy (Wool 6, a prequel) and I do not want to stop and go to bed. Damn you Hugh Howey!

Andrew
*shakes fist at self*
hughhowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #94
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughhowey View Post
*shakes fist at self*
Don't you have new house things to do?
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #95
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Also, Hugh, did you ever think of making the first book permanently free? Nothing serves as a better advertisement for the series, IMO!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #96
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
Also, Hugh, did you ever think of making the first book permanently free? Nothing serves as a better advertisement for the series, IMO!

eP
It already is. The preview you can get on Amazon of the Omnibus edition gives you the entire Wool 1, and one third of Wool 2. This one caught me so much, that I bought the series.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #97
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can't find First Shift - Legacy available as a download in the UK. Anyone heard when it is going to be available again?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #98
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok
Can't find First Shift - Legacy available as a download in the UK. Anyone heard when it is going to be available again?
So much for the "best of both worlds" (indie/traditional pub)

That sounds waaaay snottier than I truly intend it to be.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #99
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So much for the "best of both worlds" (indie/traditional pub)

That sounds waaaay snottier than I truly intend it to be.
Is that snottiness aimed at me or Mr Howey?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #100
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
You could try contacting the author through his blog - he seems an amenable sort.

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:00 PM   #101
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Is that snottiness aimed at me or Mr Howey?
Neither, really. Just the situation in general.
Just seems a shame not everybody can buy the ebook right now, that's all.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #102
spylab
spylab began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
This is a rare occasion that i will buy the normal book after reading it in my sony e-book
Exellent book
spylab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #103
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Hugh has written a new Sci-Fi classic. If I wasn't so lazy I would look at the eligibility for a Nebula or Hugo award. Wool is that good. Perhaps the omnibus could be considered as a Novel. It would be a shame to have individual instalments considered as short stories.

I am very happy for Hugh on the sale of the movie rights and even on the Random House sale of some of the rights to the books, though with mixed feelings in the case of the latter. Random House have already demonstrated some of the problems of traditional publishing. Big Publishing has a proud history of ripping off Australians. Unfortunately when the US and British publishers divided the world between them we had the bad luck to end up with the British. Before and even for some time after Amazon came along, the situation, at least anecdotally, was that readers individually could import books from the US cheaper than local booksellers could obtain them wholesale. Parallel import restrictions prevented commercial direct importation.

So, unsurprisingly, First Shift is now not available as an EBook here, or, apparently, in the UK. In fact, I will not be surprised if it does not become available as an ebook until after printed paperbacks become available. If there is a first release in Hardcover then there could be quite a delay, and an even longer one if they resort to windowing. Also, I suspect all releases here whenever they may come will be significantly more expensive than in the US. Just more of the usual practices.

Fortunately, I have my copy from Amazon. And Australians, like the British and others affected, fortunately have many options to obtain the EBook which do not involve Random House. Unfortunately not all of those options result in Hugh getting his richly deserved share. If Pirate Versions are not available yet, they soon will be. And then there are the people who would buy the book now, but may no longer be interested by the time it eventually becomes available. Whilst I can't be seen to condone Piracy, I would urge those who do get their EBooks this way to visit Hugh's website and buy him a coffee. And, of course, I would also encourage you to donate to Random House the amount that you feel they deserve.

In these days of the Internet, it is just not good business practice to have non-physical product released in some areas much later. Nor is it good business practice to allow large price differences.

Okay, I've had my gripe. Let me end on a more positive note by thanking Hugh for the Wool series. Can't wait for the next instalment.

Last edited by darryl; 06-13-2012 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Fix typos
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #104
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Hugh has mentioned on his blog that several people pirated the book, then liked it so much they PayPal'ed him some money. And he's ok with that. Make of that what you will.

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #105
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I'm starting part 3 and have to admit I love this book. I really hope they make the movie.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote