Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #1
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Unhappy My Reader died on me

Hello,

My PRS-505 dies on me yesterday. All I get is a white screen. Reset, On switch nothing works.

Any hints on possible repairs or is it just hopeless?

Martin
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Is the reader fully charged?

If the battery was fully discharged you may need a mains charger to bring it back.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
^ I agree, try plugging it into AC. If it's completely drained, you'll need to leave it plugged in for a few minutes before you even get the red "charging" LED.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 AM   #4
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Is the reader fully charged?
The last I used the Reader it was almost freshly charged. It must have been at 90% when I left it. And that was at maximum a day before I picked the reader up again.

Maybe the battery given up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
^If it's completely drained, you'll need to leave it plugged in for a few minutes before you even get the red "charging" LED.
Indeed I can't even see the charging light. I plug the reader in and see what happens.

But basically what you are saying is that the reader can't run off mains and when the battery is gone the reader is a goner as well. Most mobile phones are the same. The don't run of mains as well and they need there batteries changed 5% before you can do anything useful.

Martin

PS: and the PRS650 isn't available here yet as well. dam it.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 AM   #5
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
The last I used the Reader it was almost freshly charged. It must have been at 90% when I left it. And that was at maximum a day before I picked the reader up again.

Maybe the battery given up.

Indeed I can't even see the charging light. I plug the reader in and see what happens.

But basically what you are saying is that the reader can't run off mains and when the battery is gone the reader is a goner as well. Most mobile phones are the same. The don't run of mains as well and they need there batteries changed 5% before you can do anything useful.

Martin

PS: and the PRS650 isn't available here yet as well. dam it.
Yes it can! but you must use a PSP type round barrel charger, (or cheap generic of), & with that it should work even if the battery is totally kaput.

A USB mains charger will not work, only when it has a computer attached & it can take up to an hour for the red light to appear.

Last edited by roger the rabbit; 10-05-2010 at 06:31 AM.
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #6
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
You could also change the battery. Then it will have battery life just like when you first bought it.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
krischik
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare of Earth View Post
You could also change the battery. Then it will have battery life just like when you first bought it.
Great idea. Just two problem:
  • How to take the reader apart
  • And where to get a new battery

For those who wonder: Removing the four screws in the back is only the start. The end pieces are pretty stuck and I fear to break them.

Last edited by krischik; 10-07-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
It sounds like you want an excuse to buy a new reader! If you really want to save the reader you have, purchase one of Sony's mains chargers and leave it plugged in overnight - about 8hours. That may solve the problem.

The battery can be changed. Several peeps on this site have done it and linked to pictures showing exactly how they did it. Some time ago there was a pdf document going around which showed how to take a 505 apart. Unfortunately, I can't remember who was posting it. Try a search of the site.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Here's a couple of threads I found. There were loads more, just search PRS-505 change battery

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...change+battery

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...change+battery
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
NewPower99.com --- I just ordered a new battery for my Sony PRS-505 from them. Their site also has a nice video on how to replace the battery. They send you the toolkit along with the battery, and it's all on sale right now for about $24.00 US.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Take it slow and you won't have trouble replacing the battery. Some parts of the case might need a gentle rocking back and forth to encourage them to come loose, but it's not all that difficult. It does require patience, though. Good luck!
Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #12
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Take it slow and you won't have trouble replacing the battery. Some parts of the case might need a gentle rocking back and forth to encourage them to come loose, but it's not all that difficult. It does require patience, though. Good luck!
Popped in my new battery in my Sony PRS-505 today. I followed the instructional video from NewPower99.com while I was doing it and had no problem. A bit of a tight fit, but as Doreen says, a little gentle rocking and some patience does the trick. Perhaps a beer. A tip: Do this while you are sitting down, and have a hand towel laid out in front of you to work on and put the tiny screws on.

One potential problem: The PRS-505 is acting brand new now --- I'm going to have trouble justifying a purchase of a new Kindle or iPad!!
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #13
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Popped in my new battery in my Sony PRS-505 today. I followed the instructional video from NewPower99.com while I was doing it and had no problem. A bit of a tight fit, but as Doreen says, a little gentle rocking and some patience does the trick. Perhaps a beer. A tip: Do this while you are sitting down, and have a hand towel laid out in front of you to work on and put the tiny screws on.

One potential problem: The PRS-505 is acting brand new now --- I'm going to have trouble justifying a purchase of a new Kindle or iPad!!
Congrats on your 'new' 505!

You can *always* find a way to justify a new one...maybe we need to start an "enabling" thread.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:

I am sorely tempted...
I guess I am going to buy 650 then attempt the change.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #15
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:

Congrats!

I'd been lusting after a new 650, but I want to buy local, so I stopped into the nearby Staples yesterday to see if they had them in yet, only to find a Kindle display! The salesclerk said they weren't going to be carrying Sonys anymore.

However, it did give me the chance to compare the new Pearl screen against my 505 screen, and I can't say I was too impressed. The difference was miniscule to my eyes. Good thing, because it killed my upgrade lust, and I really should be saving money right now.

So this is encouraging - if my 505 dies, I can probably fix it. Good to know.

Gonna wait for the next round of upgrades at least.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote