Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #1
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
Silk Pagoda Publishes for Sony

I just noticed that the http://www.silkpagoda.com (the reincarnation of Blackmask) has started publishing some of its books in Sony format. I'm still waiting for a good reader that will do Mobipocket, but the rest of you guys have fun.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #2
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
They also have the Blackmask collection available on CD, if I remember correctly, in multiple formats now including Sony Reader!

Does anyone know how much overlap there is between Gutenberg and the SilkPagoda CD? I was interested (because I'm an obsessive collector, not because I'll read most of the books) but not if it's just the Gutenberg collection reformatted. I'm one of those people that doesn't mind, for most books, a text only formatting.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The Sony format is about 10,000 titles on one DVD. There is some overlap but also a bunch of stuff that is not in Gutenberg. Delivery was less than a week and no shipping charges.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In that case, I'll definitely need to take another look!
Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Has anyone heard any recent news about what's happening with Blackmask? I know the owner had to take the site down after (to my mind) rather inadvisedly fighting and losing a court case for copyright infringement with the "Doc Savage" stories, but I'm slightly puzzled why he can't simply bring it back up with the offending material removed. Anyone know any more?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If I remember correctly (and if I understood correctly in the first place), the lawyers are basically blocking him from doing what you describe until he proves that he can't/won't distribute the disputed content ever again. Just goes to show that legal isn't the same thing as sensible.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a pity. I do hope it returns - it was an excellent site with a good selection of material that's not on PG.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

But even with the loss of the Doc Savage files, this Silk Pagoda DVD looked worthwhile to me. Less than $30 and free shipping for 10,000 Blackmask books. And they have a Sony Reader version which is perfect for that uncle of yours who wants stuff to read on his Reader, but doesn't want to convert anything or download anything.

But I went for the version that has .lit files plus the html source. I'm guessing that I can get the books as rtf either from conversion of the non-DRM'd .lit files, or I can use the html files if necessary, which should be like the Blackmask web site. I can easily convert to Sony Reader format myself, or for my Treo. Not that I'll actually read these books. I really do seem to be much more interested in the collecting of them. For some strange reason, it gives me a sense of stability and security to have control of the content in my own hands. I guess too many sites seem to just "disappear" over time.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
For some strange reason, it gives me a sense of stability and security to have control of the content in my own hands.
No, I understand exactly where you're coming from and I feel the same way. I too bought one of the BM DVD's a couple of years ago - in my case I bought the one in Mobipocket format, since that's what I used as a bookreader on my iPaq Pocket PC. I could easily enough convert those to RTF to use on the Reader, of course.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
By the way, I just finished reading his free version of Journey to the West. Absolutely fascinating, and great fun. I'm starting on his other free books now.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The "Problem," if I may categorize it as such....

is this: The PDF files leave absolutely no breathing space on the left and right margins. However, let me state that it's a wonderful bargain, but one should first see if one can live with the formatting.

I also bought a BM set when I had an REB 1100 (still do, actually), and they sent me a wrong formatting set. So I actually have two different sets.

Again, this is a great set of reading material, but just be aware that the formatting for the Sony leaves no margins. Other formatting, as discussed, is available.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Is that a problem not having margins? I thought it was the best use of limited screen real estate on the Reader. RTF files are like that also, I think.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:57 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And others have complained in these forums about the excessive margins around the Sony CONNECT store books. For me there is problem in using the full screen for text.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Let me stretch the analogy

For me, it's as if a book (hardback, mass market, trade paper) had absolutely no margins so that the text went right to the edge of the paper.

So for me, I like the idea of a a bit of margin. On my RTF files, I'll come in a bit left and right. On BookDesigner, the margins are perfect. Additionally, for me, I have no problem with the Sony Connect books.

Hey, did you see the new bundle by Clemons/Rollins. Looks good....

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer

I just think of the metal frame around the eink screen as the margins. As long as there are no letters hidden under it I'm fine.