Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-17-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
Sentireader
Sentireader began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Calibre Android App

Hi All,
First off let me say I love Calibre. It works like a dream. As Android tablets start coming out I think it would be great idea to have a Calibre Android app. I bet it could be bundled with some of those tablets as the default eBook organizer and reader. Android tablets like the upcoming NotionInk Adam would be pretty awesome with a Calibre Android app. Any thoughts?
Sentireader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre is a *huge* project. Porting it to the Android in its entirety would be an extremely non-trivial task. An app that had a small subset of those features and that could connect to a computer running calibre would be the right approach. At least one app, WordPlayer does that already.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
setherd
Sleep Tech
setherd began at the beginning.

Device: andorid, nook simple touch
I like the features and ease of use of wordplayer but I hate how it stores books. I guess it unpacks the epub files.

I've been using aldiko for reading ebooks on my android phone. You might give it a try also
setherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Wiiiindy
Wiiiindy began at the beginning.

Device: Droid
I have to agree. Wordplay messed up in the middle of a book and I haven't been able to get it to show that book again. Aldiko reads the exact same file without a problem. NOt to mention that I can't get Calibre (XP) to communicate with Wordplay on the Droid.

I wish both of them would indicate progress in the whole book and not just the chapter but that's for another forum I guess.
Wiiiindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
andrew78
andrew78 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Hi,

I would strongly consider open-sourcing WordPlayer as a basis for a Calibre app if I thought there were enough Android developers interested in contributing to the project to make it worthwhile. Please email help@word-player.com if you fall into that category.

What book did you have that problem with Wiindy?

Regards,
Andrew Sacher
CEO WordPlayer
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
macr0t0r
Connoisseur
macr0t0r doesn't littermacr0t0r doesn't litter

Device: Palm Treo 680, Sony Reader
Does "WordPlayer" have a forum site where users can gather? Have you considered creating a thread here at MobileRead?

I currently just manually copy eBooks from my Calibre library to my Archos tablet for use in Aldiko, but I'd be happy to take WordPlayer for a spin. I just need to know where to go for discussion.

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #7
Wiiiindy
Wiiiindy began at the beginning.

Device: Droid
The book is Little Brother by Corey Doctorow.

And that's Wiiiindy with 4 i's (the middle two are silent)
Wiiiindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #8
Sentireader
Sentireader began at the beginning.

Device: nook
@andrew78, please do opensource WordPlayer. I think it might help attract some devs and boast some features. It might also help WordPlayer be a strong contender for the default ebook manager for these upcoming Android tablets.

BTW, I think it would be cool if users could copy their whole Calibre library folder over to their Android device and have WordPlayer be able to browse the library and read all the metadata such as the book summery. Thanks for an awesome app!
Sentireader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
tonymaro
tonymaro began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd mention I've posted a "Calibre Library" application to the Android marketplace. It connects to your Calibre server and lets you browse and download files wirelessly. If your server is visible on the Internet, you can even use your 3G connection, Otherwise with wireless it can connect across your own home network to your server without the need to connect a cable.

http://www.humanoidapps.com/calibre_library
tonymaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:30 AM   #10
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymaro View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd mention I've posted a "Calibre Library" application to the Android marketplace. It connects to your Calibre server and lets you browse and download files wirelessly. If your server is visible on the Internet, you can even use your 3G connection, Otherwise with wireless it can connect across your own home network to your server without the need to connect a cable.

http://www.humanoidapps.com/calibre_library
But you don't need to pay for that, there is a server function integrated in calibre that allows you to browse your books from either aldiko, FBReader or MoonReader+ FOR FREE ! I am using this function successfully with my Pocketbook IQ and those three apps, so really, having to pay 2.99 for this app is a scam !
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Does WordPlayer sync bookmarks and highlights back to Calibre...?
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:11 AM   #12
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
Calibre has allowed me to read hundreds of books between either my Sony 950 or my Kindle DX, no matter which store I purchase from. Now getting a Nook Color, I'm wondering if the new mods in the Android application in the last six months add functions that make things more fun.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote