Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you recommend a Kindle to a Friend?
Yes. I would recommend a Kindle to a friend. 178 89.45%
No. I would never recommend anyone buy a Kindle. 7 3.52%
On the fence. Not sure if I would recommend a Kindle or not. 14 7.04%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Kindle Owners. Would You Recommend a Kindle to a Friend?

I have to do a mind-boggling amount of research to keep my website up-to-date and I've noticed a trend.

There seems to be two groups of people when it comes to the Amazon Kindle.

The first group seems to really like it, and the second group seems to hate it fiercely. The problem with the latter is they are almost always people who don't own a Kindle, have never used a Kindle, and claim to never want to own a Kindle.

So this poll is designed to see if the people who actually own one would recommend it to a friend.

Thanks for your vote!
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
The Hooded Claw
Connoisseur
The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.The Hooded Claw got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Android phone with Kindle app, Kindle 4 in reserve
I do recommend Kindle to a friend, and in fact have done so (I'm told) successfully. I received my Kindle 2 last Monday, brought it into work on Friday, and showed it to a coworker who told me she would order a refurb Kindle 1 Friday evening....I won't know for positive that she did it till next Monday, but she seemed definite that I'd sold her on it!

Last edited by The Hooded Claw; 10-18-2009 at 02:42 PM.
The Hooded Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #3
GreatBear
GreatBear began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony Reader
Despite all the gripes some folks make about Kindles, for me it all comes down to these two things:

1. Lots of reasonably priced books, which Amazon has. Good selection, good prices. The Amazon name will continue to help them have good prices on ebooks.

2. You don't need a computer.

These two facts make this Kindle the only current "real" choice for average, not-too-technically-oriented Joe Blow. IMHO. The game may change in the future, but for now (and for awhile, I think) Amazon will dominate this field. Again, IMHO.
GreatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I have recommended the Kindle to friends but I have also recommended the Sonys (mostly younger people with little money who could take advantage of library ebook downloads) based on their needs.

I haven't recommended other readers because I don't have experience with them.

I've seen many Kindles in the wild but only one Sony, the 700 (he let me play with his 700 for a whole day ).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
I have recommended the Kindle to several friends and family. Three of my friends bought one, as did my son, daughter and son-in-law.

Do I get a commission?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Like many electronic gadgets, recommendations for an ebook reader have to be made based on the person who will be using the device. Kindle offers simplicity for untechnical people who would get frustrated and lost trying to get ebooks from their libraries, remove the drm, or load ebooks themselves from their computers. I have a number of older friends that fall into this category.

Kindle is easy for them. They can go online and easily purchase books that magically pop up in their Kindle. They are at a place in their lives where convenience is more important than frugality. And Amazon has made Kindle easy with a indepth selection of ebooks for them to purchase.

Obviously, I would recommend to my more technically oriented friends that they look around since Kindle and the Amazon book store may not be best suited to their needs.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #7
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I bought a kindle because someone told me it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It wasn't even a friend-it was a client who was packing for a trip. Anyway, I looked into it, and I have now "sold" 7 kindles - 2 to my family, 3 to a friend and 2 more to relatives. If you like to read fiction, it absolutely cannot be beat. I read a lot more than I used to, both because I have my reading with me all the time now, and because it is more comfortable than trying to adjust a paperback in bed.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Amazon should give me a cut for how many of these things I have sold

I'm a big fan and I love showing it off to friends/family.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Yes I would, however I would tell them to wait until Feb 2010 just 'in case' Apple release a tablet in January!

Sure there are probems with Amazon/Publishers/DRM/PDF and pricing but overall the Kindle is a solid device.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Like Leep said........I would recommend an ebook reader to a friend.

The maker would depend on what that friend needed.

The K1 is perfect for me.....and my granddaughter, for whom I bought a refurbished one.

Someone else? Who know.

We've got to get past this brand name nonsense and realize that they are all good in their own way. Sony people are about as rabid about their as Kindle people are.

Again, they are both excellent devices.....I'd ask the friend what they wanted in a reader.........and go from there.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
As a new kindle owner as well as a Sony 505 and Astak Pocket Pro owner, my answer is absolutely and definitely an unqualified - "it depends!"

It depends on the user, what they want in a reader and reading and what they want in a book supplier for their reader.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
All I can say is I love my Kindle.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
BookishMom
Connoisseur
BookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheeseBookishMom can extract oil from cheese

Device: K1, K2, and iPad. :)
Yes, I've recommended the Kindle, and have also recommend Sony readers, depending on the needs of the folks asking. I'm a equal-opportunity recommender. Sorry... haven't had my caffiene yet today.
BookishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishMom View Post
Yes, I've recommended the Kindle, and have also recommend Sony readers, depending on the needs of the folks asking. I'm a equal-opportunity recommender. Sorry... haven't had my caffiene yet today.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
Kat89447
Kat89447 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I agree with the two types of kindle people thing. I don't have first hand knowledge of any but Kindle, but if you want a Kindle to read books then there is none better. I would highly recommend and have recommended kindles to many friends and family. If you are the type to want the extra goodies like touch screen, color, more web browsing, in other words something more similar to a lap top or cell phone then look elsewhere. I am sure that one of the new readers will fit your needs better. I wouldn't recommend a Kindle to that type of person because they will not be happy. I may be in the minority but I don't want all of that for my reader, I just want to be able to find a book, download it, and read it without having to worry about someone tweeting me midstream or a pop up. I also love the fact that my battery lasts a long time. So yes, I would recommend the Kindle to someone that wants a library in the palm of their hand and no if they just want the latest gadget that does the same thing as their laptop or cell.
Kat89447 is offline   Reply With Quote