Notices

Old 03-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Mac OS X and PPDs/PDFs

Hello all,

Apologies if I sound a bit peevish & terse - I just had my post wiped out (page reloaded unexpectedly - NFI why)

Since Mac OS X is capable of creating PDFs automatically very easily using the "print" dialog, I thought I would have a go at creating a PPD and seeing how well it turned out. It's a bit quirky and not quite perfect, so suggestion/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ive attached the PPD as hanlin.txt (as I can't upload files with a .ppd extension), as well as a sample of the only ebook I had handy - the first 30 pages of Brust's Serenity novel (HTML printed from Safari).

In my opinion, PDFs are greatly maligned - they do offer a very good reading experience, if formatted correctly for an 6" eink screen. A good example are the Alice PDFs uploaded by Jellby in the "Other books" forum, which looks quite decent. In case you're too lazy to look there, I've also enclosed a PDF of the LaTeX Intro guide to this post, which, I have to admit, looks much better in terms of text & formatting than the Serenity HTML-> PDF version.

I look forward to hearing your input, folks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt hanlin.txt (3.5 KB, 342 views)
File Type: pdf My Own Kind of Freedom.pdf (108.4 KB, 437 views)
File Type: pdf Intro.pdf (266.6 KB, 409 views)
mrdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The margins used on the sample from My Own Kind of Freedom are way too large and there is no reason not to use full justification with hyphenation. What I saw was something that can be quite readable if reformatted to fix the issues I've mentioned.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Personally, I like some margin and I prefer only left justification rather than full justification. So the only issue with a PDF file is that the reader doesn't get to chose which he/she prefers.

Since I have a Kindle, I had to send your PDF file to amazon to format it for me. I think it pulls the text out and makes it a mobipocket file. Which means, of course, that it's no longer a fixed format, but is now free flowable text and I can choose my own font size or justification. In other words, I can't really view your PDF as you created it! (Except on my mac, of course.)

As long as your PPD file creates text big enough to be seen on a 6" screen, it is probably fine. PDF's are still not *ideal* in that the user cannot have her own choice of how to display. But if it's the only format available (and if it is sized for a 6" screen) it is probably fine. IMHO
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote