Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Will My K3Keyboard miss [PDOC] tag?

Daughter opened Kindle Fire for her birthday and in reading how to email books to her it looks like I need to delete the [PDOC] tag in Calibre and re-convert before emailing the books. No problem, but if I permanently remove this tag does this affect books I send to my Kindle Keyboard in any way?

Also... is there another reader app out there that will read DRM free MOBIs?

Thanks.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
... if I permanently remove this tag does this affect books I send to my Kindle Keyboard in any way? ...
No, the K3, and earlier Kindles, seem to totally ignore the tag.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I've read many threads regarding the removal of the [PDOC] tag and I always come away scratching my head. I have never altered the settings in Calibre (other than selecting output device) and my converted books always display on the bookshelf, never in documents. I have never removed the [PDOC] tag and have Kindle DX selected as the output device.

It's curious that I seem to be the only one with no problem with the tag in place.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Hm. The book I emailed to the Fire without the [PDOC] tag came across in Documents without the cover, the other books that I emailed first with the tag showed up as documents with the cover.

Totally messed up the invisi-shield application. Took it to Best Buy and they swapped it out with another, and we paid them to put it on the Fire for $14.99 instead of us messing it up again.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Whatever book you email to your Fire will show in Documents because the Kindle server adds the Pdoc tag when it converts it to Kindle Format. Only sideloaded books does removing the pdoc tag work on.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Whatever book you email to your Fire will show in Documents because the Kindle server adds the Pdoc tag when it converts it to Kindle Format. ...
Amazon with either add the [PDOC] or change an [EBOK] entry to [PDOC] when a book or document is emailed to a Kindle account for wireless delivery. This happens regardless of whether there is a record in the appropriate metadata field or not and regardless of whether the document/ebook requires conversion or not.

When emailed, there are quite a number of metadata records added and/or overwritten. Presumably, these are primariy there so that Amazon can manage the document in the Archive, being certain to match it to the document(s) on the Kindle(s).

Last edited by dwig; 03-04-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: reason?? you need to ask!! try ... Dwig can't type...
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I haven't messed with the setting, but I have had a few items loaded via Calibre end up showing under Documents, and others under Books. I haven't figured out what about my library or the way I'm side-loading is yielding which results.

The OP should note that if you do NOTHING, the worst that will happen is your daughter will need to look in two places to find all her content.
It's not that you need to modify the tag to put the books on the Fire, you just need to modify it to control if it appears under Books or under Documents.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote