Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #421
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I can't speak for Jon, but it's the velvet on the outside that I don't care for, velvet on the inside is fine. I use my reader with the cover folded back; in place of the exterior velvet I'd prefer suede or just leather which is easier to keep clean.
I think maybe something was lost in translation. There is no velvet on the outside. It is part burnished leather and part suede. The suede part covers both sides of the outer spine (maybe because it's likely to be more flexible over time than the burnished leather). The velvet is all on the inside.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #422
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaCat View Post
I can't speak for Jon, but it's the velvet on the outside that I don't care for, velvet on the inside is fine. I use my reader with the cover folded back; in place of the exterior velvet I'd prefer suede or just leather which is easier to keep clean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think maybe something was lost in translation. There is no velvet on the outside. It is part burnished leather and part suede. The suede part covers both sides of the outer spine (maybe because it's likely to be more flexible over time than the burnished leather). The velvet is all on the inside.
That may be it; I was going on this-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein Nijenhuis View Post
Dear all,
...... With regards to bibahbuzemann's comments. The velvet on the outisde is for people who like to read with the reader opened as a book. The velvet feels nice in your hand. .....
If there are any other questions or remarks, we are happy to answer them.

Team Gecko.

If it is indeed suede on the outside I may bite the bullet and order one; I'd still like a leather only, no suede outside option though.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #423
Klein Nijenhuis
Zealot
Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Onyx Boox
Dear MarciaCat,

I misread your comment, I thought you referred to the inside of the cover. Moreover, I thought velvet/velours/suede could be used interchangably (as is common in the Netherlands), being the same type of material. I inquired again with our supplier and they told me:

The outside is a suede imitation, made of micro fiber. The inside is made of velours.
Klein Nijenhuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #424
Klein Nijenhuis
Zealot
Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Klein Nijenhuis is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
True enough but when you're buying online and not in person, one only has the pictures to go by and it doesn't look like it fits well to me either. And for me, it's too much of a hassle to buy it try it and then return it if I don't like it for whatever reason.
Fair enough. Although pictures are not the only thing to go by. I guess the reviews of people who actually bought and tried the reader and cover beg to differ regarding the fit.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #425
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Just received my Leather Luxe in the mail today. Fit is perfect.

I will post up some pics and a review shortly
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #426
sabredog
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Gecko Leather Cover for the PRS-T1 review

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...53#post2074653
Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #427
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
@JSWolf and MarciaCat. We do not have the leather cover without a velvet inside. Next to the nice touch it gives, it also attracts dust from the screen (keeping it clean) and because it is so soft it prevents the screen from getting scratches.

May I ask what you think would be a better inside? We can always consider broadening our range.
Microfiber would do as a substitute. i do know that some people do not like the feel of velvet.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #428
Flip Martian
Connoisseur
Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.Flip Martian is that somebody.

Device: Sony PRS 350, iPad, Sony PRS-T1
I've just bought a T1 a couple of days ago and given my 350 to my wife so have been reading this thread with interest! I have a Tuff Luv for the 350 (they don't have it on their website anymore but it looks like the "sleek" model they have for the T1 (here) and it has served me well, so I'm thinking of the "sleek" for the T1. Its cheap, is man made but feels like soft leather and has a fold out strap at the back for use as a stand - although I tend to slip my fingers under the strap while holding (the 350) 1 handed. They have an elastic hoop on the T1 version on the side for the stylus (not ideal, in my eyes). It doesn't feel "cheap".

And then I saw the Gecko, which looks great. Especially in "wine red" (the tuff luv is only in black). My T1 is black but red and black go together... Off on holiday today so too late to do much about it now - I'll decide while I'm away! The T1 will have to sit in a spare 7" tablet softcase for now.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #429
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Gecko Case bad fit

Quote:
In our opinion it is rather unfair to say 'it looks like a bad fit' when you havn't even tried your reader in it. People who have used the cover are very positive about the fit. ...
Team Gecko.
Dito what I said about opinions before, but to be "fair",

'it looks like a bad fit'. I do have eyes in my head after all.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #430
sabredog

You call that a bad fit? The leather is simply bowed.

My cover had that issue at first as well. A few days closed and the bow is almost gone.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #431
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
You call that a bad fit? The leather is simply bowed.
Well, maybe I do! But, especially, I'm saying that it looks like a bad fit to me.

And when I take a close look at the smooth, fused edge where the "leather is simply bowed", it doesn't even look like leather.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #432
sabredog

Do you own one of these?

I do.

It IS leather. Perhaps instead of being critical based on a couple of images, buy one yourself and THEN criticise.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #433
bibahbuzemann
Addict

Ok, so now you'd like me to buy one of these covers even though, because of images and coments on this forum, I'm not convinced. And if I don't buy one, I should just shut up.

Fine, just a few more things before I submit to your gagorder. According to Gecko:
Quote:
...I thought velvet/velours/suede could be used interchangably (as is common in the Netherlands), being the same type of material. I inquired again with our supplier and they told me:

The outside is a suede imitation, made of micro fiber. The inside is made of velours.
- The "leather" case isn't even leather, at least not on the outside.
- At least one person posting on this thread with picures isn't convinced the frame acually holding the reader is made of leather.
- The guys from Gecko had to "inqure" with their supplier what material the cover is made of. Perhaps they should take your advice and buy one of thier own covers to see for themselves.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #434
Klein Nijenhuis
Zealot

Please do not use a quote that was clearly referring to the soft part of the outside of the cover to state that the whole outside is not made of real leather.

Here you have the facts again:
- The outside is made of real leather with a soft 'back' made of micro fiber.
- The inside is made of velours.
- The inner holder is made of real leather.

Team Gecko
Old 05-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #435
gari189
Connoisseur
gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.gari189 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Elonex 621eb, PRS-T1, HP Touchpad
Skin-digital and several ebay sellers have started selling cases like this
http://www.skindigitalstore.com/prod...ase-Cover.html

£7-£10 (10-15 US dollars). The one I've purchased (pics below) was one of the cheaper ebay ones (£6.70) not a Skin Digital one. Overall I'm impressed. Cover folds back easily, T1 fits well and the hand "loop" which I thought would be gimmicky is actually very practical. The cover "activates" the touch screen when closed so you do have to remember to switch off before closing the cover.

Last edited by gari189; 05-18-2012 at 04:03 AM. Reason: add info
gari189 is offline   Reply With Quote