Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-28-2008, 02:48 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Good to see that they intend to update it. But their progress is, at best, glacial. They still haven't (after almost a year) released a unix version of mobigen. I'd estimate that it would take a single decent programmer starting from scratch about two weeks to implement mobigen in a cross platform way. So I'm forced to conclude that developing the MOBI format is not a priority for Amazon.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Good to see that they intend to update it. But their progress is, at best, glacial. They still haven't (after almost a year) released a unix version of mobigen. I'd estimate that it would take a single decent programmer starting from scratch about two weeks to implement mobigen in a cross platform way. So I'm forced to conclude that developing the MOBI format is not a priority for Amazon.
They did release an alpha of mobigen for Linux as discussed in another thread here. Is that not available anymore?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:30 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

that was 6 months ago, I think. SInce then...
Old 10-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
that was 6 months ago, I think. SInce then...
Yes, you are right. This is one thing that annoys me a lot with non-free software. Had it been open source the tools would have existed and been much better then what we have now.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #20
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
The reason I'm asking is that storing ebooks in unpacked form is good if you tend to edit them a lot. However, most users dont do that, so from a user perspective its better to store them in EPUB so that you have a one file per book storage paradigm.

And if you're expecting MOBI to evolve, I suspect you will be disappointed. It looks like MOBI is too open for Amazon.
The PC version of MOBI can already import ePUB. I suspect mobigen will get there if it isn't already.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:59 PM   #21
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, you are right. This is one thing that annoys me a lot with non-free software. Had it been open source the tools would have existed and been much better then what we have now.
MobiGen is free but not open source. There is a difference, not all free stuff is open source.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #22
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
MobiGen is free but not open source. There is a difference, not all free stuff is open source.
It is not free in the sense I used the term (see http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html). mobigen is gratis but not free.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
The PC version of MOBI can already import ePUB. I suspect mobigen will get there if it isn't already.

Dale
Depends on what you mean by import. In the case of mobigen, it's more like mangle (not really its fault since mobi doesn't support most of the features of EPUB. And note that the PC version of MOBI uses mobigen under the hood.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #24
AZed
Connoisseur
AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PalmOS PDA
Version 0.2.0 has just been posted to CPAN. New to this release is the ability to unpack eReader files and the ability to strip <script>/<noscript> blocks from HTML.
AZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #25
AZed
Connoisseur
AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AZed has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Version 0.3.0 has just been indexed by CPAN.

Changes file entry:

Code:

New Features:
 * Configuration file and directory support
 * Mobipocket HUFF/CDIC support
 * Unpacking DRM-protected Mobipocket files now just skips the
   encrypted text, but still extracts the unencrypted images
 * EBook::Tools now takes advantage of several external helper files,
   if they are made available:
   * Mobipocket generation possible if mobigen is available
   * Unpacking interface supports MS Reader (.lit) if convertlit is available
   * Downconverting interface supports MS Reader and Mobipocket if
     convertlit and MobiDeDRM are available, respectively.
   * See README.Helpers.txt for more information
 * excerpt_line() procedure available to show just the beginning and
   end of a paragraph or other long line of text
 * ':all' export tag is available for all modules to export all
   procedures at once.

Library Changes:
 * EReader.pm: write_* methods now return the filename(s) written
   instead of just returning 1
 * Unpack.pm: gen_metadata() no longer calls split_metadata() if the
   raw option is specified
 * Tools.pm: fix_languages() now creates a <dc:language> if none
   exists (this isn't mandated by the standard, but mobigen requires
   it)

Bug Fixes:
 * Unpacking an eReader book now correctly adds the text to the OPF
   manifest
Old 11-18-2008, 02:13 PM   #26
AZed
Connoisseur

Version 0.3.1 has just been indexed by CPAN. This fixes an uploading bug in 0.3.0 that caused MSReader.pm to not be included.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #27
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Is this something in the module?
Code:
EBook-Tools-0.3.1/MANIFEST

CPAN.pm: Going to build A/AZ/AZED/EBook-Tools-0.3.1.tar.gz

Can't locate Module/Build/Compat.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at Makefile.PL line 3.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 3.
Running make test
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
Running make install
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

cpan>
Shouldn't dependencies be automatically loaded?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:32 AM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Why do you require Perl 5.10.0? Since Debian stable uses 5.8.8 I cannot use the module.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #29
AZed
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why do you require Perl 5.10.0? Since Debian stable uses 5.8.8 I cannot use the module.
Hm. The main new feature from 5.10 that I'm using is the smart-match operator, which is a lot faster than the alternatives (some of which are incredibly messy). Perl 5.10 was released almost a year ago, and I hadn't figured people would still be seriously having problems obtaining it. (You're running Debian Stable on a desktop machine? Why? I'm a Debian developer and even I will cheerfully admit that Stable is generally already obsolete almost by the time it's released.)

One of the spots where I'm using ~~ I can switch to hashes (it's just uglier, not a real trouble), but in one case I'm using it to determine if two hashes have identical keys, and the workaround for that is messy (I'd have to 'join sort keys %hash' on both hashes and compare the resulting strings, both slower and uglier). I'm also using it to check if the HUFF little-endian and big-endian tables match, which is an array compare I'd have to iterate through, which is a lot slower than ~~, but I suppose in theory I could skip it altogether because it's just a sanity check for corrupt data.

This alone probably won't help you because of your next problem, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe
Shouldn't dependencies be automatically loaded?
Module dependencies are. You just ran into a build environment dependency -- you need Module::Build installed, and specifically, a version >= 0.3000. That's going to cause you another problem, because the latest version in Debian Stable is 0.26. The MakeMaker compatibility stuff is just there to interface with autobuilders like CDBS that don't understand Module::Build yet. I could in theory change the Build.PL MakeMaker compatibility from 'small' to 'traditional', which might solve the problem, but then I lose the ability to do build environment checks, which I was planning to use later.

Let me think about this for a bit.

Is anyone else interested in this package also having problems getting a Perl 5.10 environment?

Last edited by AZed; 11-19-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #30
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZed View Post
Is anyone else interested in this package also having problems getting a Perl 5.10 environment?
I'm also stuck using ActivePerl 5.8.8 (build 820) for my Mobi2IMP package since it was originally based on tompe's html2mobi.pl. I don't want to lose/break anything if I get Perl 5.10.

Now, if tompe migrates to 5.10, so would I.

I'm not a developer, but I'm interested in creating an IMP.pm which could be used to create/manipulate/explode .IMP ebook files for use on the eBookwise-1150 and REB1200 (Gemstar legacy) devices.

I would like to be able to interface with your EBook Tools for my personal use!

Currently, the .imp creation tools in perl require Win32::OLE, but that doesn't mean they are limited to Windows computers. Using wine in linux allows .imp creation (albeit a bit of a kludge) and MACOS X apparantly has native support as well from ETI, the current "manufacturer" of my ebook devices.

In this case, I must be a "follower" and await whatever solution presents itself.

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-24-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote