Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 07-26-2014, 11:57 PM   #31
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Please don't anyone be offended, but I've recently bought Elizabeth Gaskell: A Bibliographical Catalogue, by Walter E. Smith. It was recommended from the Gaskell Society mailing list. Mr Smith writes 'By visiting major research libraries, private collections, and numerous books shops... I examined firsthand all of the works described, including scores of copies of the most of the first editions.'

For Round the Sofa he lists 46 flaws (including ancle) in the first impression, and 13 (mostly different) flaws in the second impression. Ancle does not appear in the list of flaws in the second impression.

He states elsewhere, for other books, that even within a particular impression some books have a given flaw while others don't.

I certainly respect anyones preference for reading 19th century works 'comme scritto' even though that's not my preference. I'm just not sure how one can be certain that a given book is the one to be used.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:18 AM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
[...] They should be as they were indented [...]
[Emphasis mine.]

Yep, with all the original typos intact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well done! They should be as they were intended to be even if some don't like it that way.
I like the way you revised the spelling of your post, Jon. Do you know how wrong that is? People deserve to see the original work.

Last edited by eschwartz; 07-27-2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: These words may or may not have been revised from their original form
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote