Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #46
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
thanks Terisa, it is what I suspected.

yes, that would be the fate of the mini - hopefully I may concoct something, it may even fit a CD case...

thank you! Yes, the problem is with pdf, of which I have many for work - agreed it is not ideal, but I've got used to read them in landscape on a 5" (sure, I love it on my 9.2" much better :-) ), and it is manageable, so I guess I will have to think more about which books I need before I leave.

On factory reset thing: that IS interesting, and delighted you mentioned this, as it will be annoying - is it possible to upload your non-Kobo (legally acquired) books on their cloud for a sync?
I keep mine in Dropbox as well as my laptop. Since Mini has a browser I can get whatever I need in a pinch if I don't have access to my computer. I don't use the Kobo "cloud" at all. My Calibre library on my PC is my backup in case I need to reload everything. It is always up to date since everything that goes to the Mini goes through Calibre first...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #47
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
I keep mine in Dropbox as well as my laptop. Since Mini has a browser I can get whatever I need in a pinch if I don't have access to my computer. I don't use the Kobo "cloud" at all. My Calibre library on my PC is my backup in case I need to reload everything. It is always up to date since everything that goes to the Mini goes through Calibre first...
thanks, that is what I do too - the problem is that my library is far larger than the free space on the mini. Perhaps I could create another library just for the mini, and use that one to sync in case of a reset. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #48
spideyak
spideyak is on a distinguished road

Device: PocketBook 301+, Sony PRS-300
I added a tag in Calibre called "Favorite" so that I could easily & quickly reload an ereader after it was reset; not a perfect solution, but it's worked so far =).
spideyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:31 PM   #49
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
thanks, that is what I do too - the problem is that my library is far larger than the free space on the mini. Perhaps I could create another library just for the mini, and use that one to sync in case of a reset. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!
Like most other Kobos the Mini uses a micro SD card for its firmware and internal storage. Although not as easy as adding a card to an external slot, it is possible to upgrade the internal card from the standard 2GB to as much as 32GB.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #50
spideyak
spideyak is on a distinguished road

Device: PocketBook 301+, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Like most other Kobos the Mini uses a micro SD card for its firmware and internal storage. Although not as easy as adding a card to an external slot, it is possible to upgrade the internal card from the standard 2GB to as much as 32GB.
Wow, that would be well worth it! Is there a How-To anywhere?
spideyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #51
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyak View Post
Wow, that would be well worth it! Is there a How-To anywhere?
I followed the procedure in this thread with success: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200703 This will certainly void your warantee, and it is possible to end up with an unbootable e-reader and even an unbootable computer if you do it wrong, so be warned.

If you are familliar with Linux the basic procedure is to copy the raw disk image from the original card to the larger card using "dd", then expand the data partition on the larger card with "gparted" to make use of the extra space.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 AM   #52
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I followed the procedure in this thread with success: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200703 This will certainly void your warantee, and it is possible to end up with an unbootable e-reader and even an unbootable computer if you do it wrong, so be warned.

If you are familliar with Linux the basic procedure is to copy the raw disk image from the original card to the larger card using "dd", then expand the data partition on the larger card with "gparted" to make use of the extra space.
Thanks Geoff - if I go for the mini, I may even find the courage to do it: after all, if you put back the original card in case of problems all should be well, right?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #53
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks Geoff - if I go for the mini, I may even find the courage to do it: after all, if you put back the original card in case of problems all should be well, right?
Yes, and even if you manage to ruin the original card there are ways to recover, but it is much less hassle if you get it right first time :-)
Old 01-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #54
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, and even if you manage to ruin the original card there are ways to recover, but it is much less hassle if you get it right first time :-)
thanks Geoff - still hope my pocketbook can be repaired, otherwise I think you've just found Kobo another customer
Old 01-12-2013, 03:00 AM   #55
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
mini vs 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Thanks for your input

EDIT: how would you compare the Mini and the Sony PRS 350?

And Happy New Year to all of you fellow readers (whatever device you may use )
I have both. I use the PRS 350 with a light cover sometimes. I find the mini to be very usable - and the fact that the cover I have for it turns the unit on when I open it (Kobo's allow this).

I have always used Sony's for a number of years (and they are still working - so there is pile of them on my desk). I have a couple of Kobo's now and find them very usable. I have to admit that the mini gets tossed into my bag a bit more than the others - it is just so small. So far, it works well.

The Kobo has plenty of space for books. I load around 300 from a stash I keep on my PC's when I get a new reader - and there is plenty of space left.

I haven't had the spontaneous reboot problems with the Kobo (oddly, I so sometimes have this with the PRS 650 and the PRS T2...)

To be honest - is there anything wrong with your PRS 650 - mine still works fine

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #56
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGozit View Post
I haven't had the spontaneous reboot problems with the Kobo (oddly, I so sometimes have this with the PRS 650 and the PRS T2...)

To be honest - is there anything wrong with your PRS 650 - mine still works fine

Ross
Thank you HowGozit for your input

It's nice to read what people like and dislike in a device. It's kind of refreshing to be able to ponder knowing both sides If I want to know the pros, I just need to watch a commercial.

Anyway, having said that, I'm still torn. I don't need a new device per se, but it would come in handy for sure. For example, I could use Spanish, French and Japanese dictionaries. So far, I have to deal with Eng.-Eng. and Eng.-Jp., which is nice but somewhat limited when I read ¡HOLA!
Right now, the Kobo Mini is discounted (30%). I guess if it goes under 50€ I will consider buying it. If it goes around 40€, I'll buy it for sure.
I was considering briefly the 350 since I found two sellers with good deals and I really love the metal case. But in regard to the Mini new price, it doesn't worth the trouble.

So far, the 650 didn't act in a strange way again. It's painfully slow, but I need to remove a lot of highlights (which can't be exported ). I believe it will act better after that.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #57
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi everyone,

today I came across some refurbished Kobo Glo. At first, I didn't even consider buying a Glo because it was a little out of my price range. But now I can buy a Mini for 56€ or a (refurbished) Glo for 89€.
I still think that the Mini is overpriced. The Glo is a steal, but do I really need another 6" reader?
Well, I'll figure that out very soon anyway
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #58
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Hi everyone,

today I came across some refurbished Kobo Glo. At first, I didn't even consider buying a Glo because it was a little out of my price range. But now I can buy a Mini for 56€ or a (refurbished) Glo for 89€.
I still think that the Mini is overpriced. The Glo is a steal, but do I really need another 6" reader?
Well, I'll figure that out very soon anyway
You must live somewhere nearby I saw Kobo Mini for 56€ cover included and oh how difficult it is to resist! And I certainly do not need another ereader. I have a 5" Opus which I love and use daily and 6" K3. Husband is already waving finger at me.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #59
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
You must live somewhere nearby I saw Kobo Mini for 56€ cover included
Not so close it seems, because the Mini doesn't have any cover provided for its 56€ price point
I'm with you here, trying to hold on, but I think I'll go and buy one of the refurbished Glo tomorrow. Why yes, I'm weak
Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #60
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Just checked, Kobo Mini 55,95€, sleep cover 0,07€ (!!!!) so, 56,02€ (without delivery, fnac.be)

no, nonononononononono
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote