Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #136
Draccy
SciFi E-Book Fanatic
Draccy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Screensaver help?

Hi guys,

My new paperwhite arrived yesterday. I paid amazon to remove the ads, and I did the steps listed and jailbroke my device. I'm really confused about how to take the next step to add custom screensavers back in. Would someone explain it to me like I'm a six year old?

Thanks!
Draccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #137
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draccy View Post
Hi guys,

My new paperwhite arrived yesterday. I paid amazon to remove the ads, and I did the steps listed and jailbroke my device. I'm really confused about how to take the next step to add custom screensavers back in. Would someone explain it to me like I'm a six year old?

Thanks!
Me, too, Me, too! (in voice of 6 year old) I did the screensaver hack to my k3 about 2 or 3 years ago so don't recall the steps all that well and if the PW is a different process.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #138
imein
imein began at the beginning.

Device: paper white
I want to change the kindle paperwhite's font!

Thanks for an easy jailbreak tool.
I try to use this tool.
But I don't know how to change the font!
I enter the diagnostic mode and try to change the font.
but paperwhite is still write-protected.
Although paperwhite obtains the write permission, I cannot rename folder.
How to change the font by jailbreak tool?
Help me!
imein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #139
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thanks for the warning. I'll hold off on the upgrade, as I use Collections Manager enough that I took apart my Kindle to get it back after the 5.3.0 update.
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #140
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by imein View Post
Thanks for an easy jailbreak tool.
I try to use this tool.
But I don't know how to change the font!
I enter the diagnostic mode and try to change the font.
but paperwhite is still write-protected.
Although paperwhite obtains the write permission, I cannot rename folder.
How to change the font by jailbreak tool?
Help me!
I think I remember ixtab saying he was working on this for me as a birthday present, so it should be ready in one week

No, just kidding, I keep pretty pleasing him, but I think it is a bit more complicated than that and with the new update breaking the Collections Manager, I guess it is not even on the lowest place on the priorities list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
The new update seems to break the Collections Manager Kindlet for me unfortunately, even after having applied the Kindlet Jailbreak again :/, the screen freezes at www.ixtab.tk, context menu seems to display properly but doesn't work functionality-wise. Just a warning for people still running 5.3.0 and using the Collections Manager Kindlet extensively.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awh_tokyo View Post
Thanks for the warning. I'll hold off on the upgrade, as I use Collections Manager enough that I took apart my Kindle to get it back after the 5.3.0 update.
So do I, and I was enough last time my Kindle did update to 5.3.0 and I lost the Collections Manager. So this time around (apparently a woman can indeed learn), my airplane mode is on.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #141
bhaak
Groupie
bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.bhaak can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Palm IIIx, (iPhone|Kindle) Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Looks like Amazon's Java obfuscator is non-deterministic.
Obfuscating variables and private methods is one thing, but also going for protected and public methods and class names is crazy.

From what I've seen so far I'm really surprised that they don't brick their own devices by doing such things. This leads to the almost unbelievable conclusion that Amazon (of course only in regards to their framework) has some good testing in place!
bhaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #142
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I think I remember ixtab saying he was working on this for me as a birthday present, so it should be ready in one week
ixtab is a he?? I guess I was taking the 'goddess' thing too literally.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 AM   #143
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Only MEN are able to this Kind of technical stuff ... ;-)
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #144
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezh View Post
ixtab is a he?? I guess I was taking the 'goddess' thing too literally.
Yep, he is a he.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
Only MEN are able to this Kind of technical stuff ... ;-)
you are so grounded right now.....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #145
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
So do I, and I was enough last time my Kindle did update to 5.3.0 and I lost the Collections Manager. So this time around (apparently a woman can indeed learn), my airplane mode is on.
I wasn't that smart , after having read that the update doesn't revert the jailbreak my thoughts went along the lines "the latest and greatest" and I downloaded the update myself, updated my Kindle with it and re-applied the hacks only to find out that the "hack" I use most often, the Collections Manager, stopped working...

Amazon, either get get your shit together and implement a way to manage the Kindle collections properly or stop obfuscating code for the people who actually care enough to reverse engineer the device only to provide the end-users with functionality that should have already been there .
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:14 AM   #146
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Obfuscating variables and private methods is one thing, but also going for protected and public methods and class names is crazy.
I guess that this is why all the new updates come with complete partition images. The updates aren't incremental, so as long as that partition image is internally consistent, they can obfuscate and re-obfuscate all their classes and methods and name them all sorts of weird things, until hell freezes over.

But yes, this seems to mean that every single new update is now bound to break all existing (Java) hacks again, and they all have to be "figured out" again for every new update.

Thank you very much, Amazon.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #147
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I have no clue about Java bytecode, but wouldn't it theoretically be possible to create "byte mask patterns" that find the correct class/method name by scanning the Java bytecode for certain OP codes that stay the same (i.e. functionality) and from there automate the class/method updating? Provided that the functionality doesn't also change with each update...
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #148
kim1406
Connoisseur
kim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchforkkim1406 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: kindle paperwhite
ixtab

thanks for the new update, for 5.3.1. Great as usual.
kim1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #149
az99
az99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
After reading thru 10 pages, I still don't know what this jailbreak will do for me if I install it. I saw in the beginning that it does not remove ads. So what does it actually do? Thanx
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #150
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@az99: If you don't know why you would want it, then don't install it.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote