Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
iPad hear controversy-masahble article

http://mashable.com/2012/03/21/ipad-heat-controversy/

I agree. Most people are just blowing this out of proportion. My iPad has been just fine. I couldn't be happier with it.

First of all, what exactly did consumers expect? Apple took essentially the same chassis as the last iPad (the iPad 2) and built in four powerful new components: the A5X CPU, a quad-core graphics processor (it’s on the A5X but still counts as GPU), a 4G LTE radio and the ultra-high-rez retina display. Guess what all of those generate? Heat! Apple increased the size of the iPad’s battery just to support all the extra juice these components would need. It’s a natural law of technology that more powerful components eat more energy and thereby generate more heat.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I appreciate yours seem fine, but you can't extrapolate from your unit that all units behave the same and hence say the issue is overblown. There could be a batch that has issues that manifest themselves as extra heat, or yours could be the exception as well, with the heat problem being a widespread issue.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Guess I'm an exception, too. I wonder how widespread it is.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try playing a graphics & processor intensive game and see if the new iPad does get hot. That's how you can tell. Just reading and browsing won't show much.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I appreciate yours seem fine, but you can't extrapolate from your unit that all units behave the same and hence say the issue is overblown. There could be a batch that has issues that manifest themselves as extra heat, or yours could be the exception as well, with the heat problem being a widespread issue.
I agree. There could be a bad batch. The news is reporting the same information from the same source though. As it says though, what do you expect with bigger battery, bigger processor, etc.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try playing a graphics & processor intensive game and see if the new iPad does get hot. That's how you can tell. Just reading and browsing won't show much.
I did. & a hot pocket popped out the bottom. Weird.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Guess I'm an exception, too. I wonder how widespread it is.
That's my point. As I said, all of the news sources have been reporting the same source that has said its over heating. So I wonder how widespread it really is. I don't know. I think it's just everyone jumping on the bandwagon. Happens every apple product release.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I did. & a hot pocket popped out the bottom. Weird.
Then it does overheat if it's hot enough to cook food.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Really, the question here is how hot does it get? Sure it might run hotter than the previous iPad but as long as it doesn't get uncomfortable to hold, I don't think it matters much. Also, how does the temps compare to other Android tablets at similar CPU/GPU load?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Really, the question here is how hot does it get? Sure it might run hotter than the previous iPad but as long as it doesn't get uncomfortable to hold, I don't think it matters much. Also, how does the temps compare to other Android tablets at similar CPU/GPU load?
I'd like to know too.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
By the way, since I don't play games on my iPad, any suggestions for free processor intensive demos or benchmarks? Would like to test how hot it gets, particularly since I'm sure the case I use acts as insulator.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
monkeyluis
Banned

Quote:
By the way, since I don't play games on my iPad, any suggestions for free processor intensive demos or benchmarks? Would like to test how hot it gets, particularly since I'm sure the case I use acts as insulator.
I do t know what's equal in intensity to games. But you can try infinity blade just to try it out.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Under heavy load it runs about 10 deg F hotter:
http://techland.time.com/2012/03/20/...by-10-degrees/
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Really, the question here is how hot does it get?
116F (47C) - that's quite hot I would say, uncomfortably hot if you happen to have your hand around that area.

Quote:
US consumer organization Consumer Reports has backed punters’ assertions that the new iPad can overheat in normal use.

Consumer Reports has now chimed in with a measurement, and states that the fondleslab can reach temperatures of 116°F “particularly when running videogames”.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
According to that article then, the iPad 2 gets to 104degreesF, which I've never read about. (cant figure out how to quote, but it says it gets 12 degrees hotter than the ipad 2 later) I haven't had an issue yet, but I guess some people could. I've nearly burned my hands on my MacBook pro before a couple times though

Blah blah sorry most of that was redundant I just realized. Well. My Xbox also gets really hot, but it has a noisy fan too. I'll take hot over noisy anyday

Last edited by Belle2Be; 03-21-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote