Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Tracking Down eBooks

So I've found that my ebook reader is great for my school books because most of my text books are of a literary nature. History books and novels etc. I'm trying to line of different places to hit to find these books. Here are the best placed that I've found so far:

FREE:
Gutenburg
Archive
JSTOR
Google

COMMERCIAL:
Ebooks.Com
Sony's Ebook Store
Mobi Pocket (with conversion of DRM books to epub. I've never actually done this but assumed it'd be possible.)

What others are there?
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
For more free stuff, Feedbooks.com has a big selection in various formats.

If you like science fiction and fantasy, try Baen Books. They have both free books as part of their Free Library and reasonably priced non-DRM books.

Books on Board is another paid service with occasional freebies. They have a bit of everything, including some textbooks.

I wrote an article recently with a list of options. Hope this helps!

Last edited by bookfiend; 08-19-2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added Books on Board.
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Free:

GirleBooks
Munseys

Commercial:

I was an early Fictionwise customer and *used* to love them to death. Can't say that's true anymore since they've been bought by B&N.

I have had a good experience so far with BooksOnBoard, although I haven't bought that much from them. If only their website was better.

Baen is awesome, if you're a geek like me.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I have had a good experience so far with BooksOnBoard, although I haven't bought that much from them. If only their website was better.

Baen is awesome, if you're a geek like me.
Yes, the BoB site is a bit clunky. What I really like about them is that they accept PayPal, since I don't have a credit card. I know Fictionwise does too, but they make Paypal users do 'immediate' payment, which means you need a CC after all.

What I don't like about BoB is not being able to get non-DRM files (I'd read somewhere that they do have DRM-free stuff, but it must be for U.S. customers only). This makes it hard to integrate with Calibre; I've found a workaround by dragging the files directly to the Reader, but it's a bit of a pain.

So Baen remains the coolest for me: great reads, lots of free stuff, advance e-books with their Webscription service, and a no-DRM philosophy (partly explained here).
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've bought and had good luck withSmashwords, and waterstones
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Also, let's not forget, this place is rather good for freebies.

It's where I get all mine.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfiend View Post
Yes, the BoB site is a bit clunky. What I really like about them is that they accept PayPal, since I don't have a credit card. I know Fictionwise does too, but they make Paypal users do 'immediate' payment, which means you need a CC after all.

What I don't like about BoB is not being able to get non-DRM files (I'd read somewhere that they do have DRM-free stuff, but it must be for U.S. customers only). This makes it hard to integrate with Calibre; I've found a workaround by dragging the files directly to the Reader, but it's a bit of a pain.

So Baen remains the coolest for me: great reads, lots of free stuff, advance e-books with their Webscription service, and a no-DRM philosophy (partly explained here).

The only non-DRM things I've found at BoB were all PD anyway, so why pay for something you can get for free elsewhere?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
The only non-DRM things I've found at BoB were all PD anyway, so why pay for something you can get for free elsewhere?
Some of the stuff they have from Samhain and other e-only or primarily e-publishers is DRM free.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
My top places to get free books:
  • MobileRead
  • Feedbooks
  • Manybooks
  • Munsey's
  • Baen
  • Project Gutenberg
  • Google Books
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Has google books released epub stuff yet? All I still see is PDF.
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid View Post
Has google books released epub stuff yet? All I still see is PDF.
Yes, but you have to download the Sony Library software and register a US account (feel free to lie, they apparently don't check).

Over a million Google ePubs available, by far the largest collection.

OCRed, though, so quality varies widely, but I've only found a few books that were unreadable. Most are <shrug> OK, for free, and the quantity can't be beat. I've found a number of nicely illustrated books, too, that look good on my Sony.