Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Unsubscribing from special offers, a cautionary tale

FYI for anyone planning to do this. I paid the $40 to unsubscribe from special offers and got a popup on my KT telling me that they had been removed, but they were still there. After an online chat with the nice folks from Kindle support (and multiple restarts, etc.), I ended up having to reset my Kindle to factory defaults. Not the end of the world, but somewhat of a pain.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
FYI for anyone planning to do this. I paid the $40 to unsubscribe from special offers and got a popup on my KT telling me that they had been removed, but they were still there. After an online chat with the nice folks from Kindle support (and multiple restarts, etc.), I ended up having to reset my Kindle to factory defaults. Not the end of the world, but somewhat of a pain.
From what I've read, reset to factory defaults seems to be the "default" method of correcting problems on Kindles.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
That must be disappointing. But I did the same recently, without problems. I had to turn the device off and then back on, but no reset was required.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I removed SO's from my Kindle Touch a few months ago and never had a problem with it.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if it might have something to do with Kindlean. This is a brand new KT (got it on Monday). I did a manual software update to 5.0.4, then imported all of my books from my archive and imported my collections from my KDX. The only other thing I did with it was to install Kindlean on my PC and change some of the metadata (book covers).
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
In the world of technology turning it off & back on again is almost always the solution. Now it also a reset of settings. Lol.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
From what I've read, reset to factory defaults seems to be the "default" method of correcting problems on Kindles.
At least it sounds a bit more "tech"-ish than when you would have problems with a cell phone, and called in for support. "Did ya pull the battery out and put it back in?"
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
PharaohsVizier
Connoisseur
PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PharaohsVizier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DXG, Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
It's the default solution to anything tech related. A reset usually clears all the stupid stuff someone might have done and saves a lot of time for the person on the phone.

Anyways, sorta reminds me of this video:

Context is: Sega's official "apology" or "comment" on the fact that they recommended a hard reset when they were asked about their stance on SOPA.
PharaohsVizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Talldog
Addict

I unsubscribed my wife's new Touch from special offers last night without incident. Both devices are new and I set them both up the same way at the same time. However, I never used Kindlean with hers. I think that's where the problem was.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #10
mrmls
Enthusiast
mrmls has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 950
May I ask why did you choose to unsubscribe from SO? Was it annoying? Changed your mind?
mrmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #11
Talldog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmls View Post
May I ask why did you choose to unsubscribe from SO? Was it annoying? Changed your mind?
When I was reading the CNET review of the Touch, it recommended buying only the SO version because the offers were unobtrusive and occasionally compelling, and you could always pay the difference if you decided you didn't like them. Made sense to me, so that's what I did.

After I got it, I decided I didn't like them. I couldn't get behind losing the bottom 3/4" of such a small home screen (I'm used to the huge home screen of a DX), and I didn't like seeing ads and screensavers for things like Huggies diapers.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I was thinking of unsubscribing from the ads on my KT. I don't mind the ads, but it would be nice to have a bit more free space on the home screen.

Question: Does unsubscribing from the ads give you one or two extra lines of text?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I was thinking of unsubscribing from the ads on my KT. I don't mind the ads, but it would be nice to have a bit more free space on the home screen.

Question: Does unsubscribing from the ads give you one or two extra lines of text?
Only one more line on my Kindle Keyboard, I'd imagine that's the same for the Touch.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #14
Talldog
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Only one more line on my Kindle Keyboard, I'd imagine that's the same for the Touch.
Yup, only one.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Thanks, guys. Did they give you the dead authors back?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote