Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #121
fredyd
fredyd began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 912 + Kindle 3
Great program! it saved my day for reading comics, since the MOBI and EPUB readers don't seem to recognize "full screen" (also called panel view) epubs or mobis, as those produced by KindleComicConverter.

I personally use a program named Mangle to produce the cbz at the pocketbook's resolution, so that pages load quicker. Just select the "Kindle DX" profile, and there you go.
https://github.com/proDOOMman/Mangle

Looking at pbimageviewer's source code, I think it should not be very difficult to add PDF reading functionality, using the lightweight mupdf library, which basically renders a PDF page to a bitmap. The PDF contrast can be adjusted using a "gamma" parameter, and this would make a nice alternative PDF reader to the crappy reader that's included with the PocketBook (which has wrong gamma settings in my opinion).

The kindle community did a very nice integration of mupdf + CoolReader3 in a tool called kindlepdfviewer:
https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/wiki

Has anybody thought of integrating PDF reading to pbimageviewer, or do you think it should be a separate tool?
fredyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #122
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I had thought about this a while ago (a year?), and I was excited by the idea at the beginning, but I got less so over time. I'm not sure I remember all the details, but I think a part of it is that internal links would be a big complication. Most of the simple actions (key strokes, pointer presses) are already being used for image-related operations. Adding new actions that people have come to expect for PDFs (links, search, columns, history, notes,...) starts to look more and more painful (especially considering the small number of buttons on the 611).

If the idea is to not bother with those complications and just treat each page as an image, then using something like k2pdfopt to convert the original PDF to a new PDF of images seems to make more sense to me. You can use it to resize the contents to better fit the device, and can get around a lot of the issues with gamma and antialiasing in the native PB apps. I've tried it myself, and it makes the PDF much easier to read, but found that I really start to miss those PDF-specific features. I expect the same thing would happen if I did a half-assed port into pbimageviewer.

So, if the idea is to port over mupdf, then I think it should go into its own application. I don't have time for such a job, but if you're interested, I could help a bit with the PocketBook-specific stuff (i.e libinkview) if you went ahead with it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #123
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As requested, I've added a couple of new features. First, the ability to automatically restart an archive at the beginning if it was last exited at the end. Second, the ability to automatically start the next archive in the same directory when you try to read past the end of the current archive (a dialog pops up, shows what the next file is, and asks if you want to open it). Both features need to be enabled in the configuration before they work.

@dtanis has also supplied a full Dutch translation and a partial Japanese translation. The latter will be finished later when time permits. PascalV and seiichiro018 have also graciously updated the French, Portuguese and German translations for the latest features to be added.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #124
luigibrosse
luigibrosse began at the beginning.

Device: PB Touch
Thumbs up.
I will try it out!
luigibrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 PM   #125
luigibrosse

Hi Rkomar, sorry to be such a pain in the a..
I suppose that the config file (in order to activate the last two options added) has to be reached through the Menu \ Configuration of pbiv? Unfortunately on the Touch, if I do just that, I got an empty screen (well not perfectly empty: I have something saying Config on top, and below Default parameters for the new books - sorry I am translating back from French). But that is all, nothing that I can modify. I can go back to the main screen of pbiv, but that is all.
Any hint?
Advert
Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #126
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigibrosse View Post
Hi Rkomar, sorry to be such a pain in the a..
I suppose that the config file (in order to activate the last two options added) has to be reached through the Menu \ Configuration of pbiv? Unfortunately on the Touch, if I do just that, I got an empty screen (well not perfectly empty: I have something saying Config on top, and below Default parameters for the new books - sorry I am translating back from French). But that is all, nothing that I can modify. I can go back to the main screen of pbiv, but that is all.
Any hint?
If you go to the system configuration (via main menu) and then select "About device", what does it say for "Model:"? And what firmware version are you using?

Last edited by rkomar; 02-27-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #127
luigibrosse

Model: PocketBook 622 (so it's a Touch)
Firmware: D622.3.2.108 (I'm still on firmware 3.2, I haven't done the update to 4.0. Mainly because theming is reduced. I can do the update if you think it is necessary.)
Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #128
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Model: PocketBook 622 (so it's a Touch)
Firmware: D622.3.2.108 (I'm still on firmware 3.2, I haven't done the update to 4.0. Mainly because theming is reduced. I can do the update if you think it is necessary.)
No, I found a bug where I added the latest two features in the configuration. The Touch devices use a different configuration structure than everything else, and I didn't create it properly for that model. Sorry. I've uploaded a new version to the first post. Only people with a Touch device need to get the new copy.

Thanks for reporting the problem.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #129
Berennk
Berennk began at the beginning.

Hi.
Thanks for your amazing app, it really good to see manga reader on my pocketbook)
But i have suggestion.
Please, can you add swap between updown and leftright buttons?
I have PB touch, and if i read in album mode (90) it quite uncomfortable, navigation on page via Touch screen. It is possible to use left/right button to listing up/down and change page at the end?
Berennk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #130
Berennk

Also, how can i make album orientation by default?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #131
rkomar
Wizard

It sounds reasonable to reassign the Next/Prev buttons for the Touch. For the other models with direction buttons, I'll leave things as they are. I'll add the preferred orientation to the configuration, as well, and use it if automatic orientation via the G-sensor isn't enabled. I'm busy at work these days, so it probably won't be ready until next weekend.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #132
Berennk

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It sounds reasonable to reassign the Next/Prev buttons for the Touch. For the other models with direction buttons, I'll leave things as they are. I'll add the preferred orientation to the configuration, as well, and use it if automatic orientation via the G-sensor isn't enabled. I'm busy at work these days, so it probably won't be ready until next weekend.
Thank you very much)
Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #133
luigibrosse

Good suggestions by Berennk.

On the other hand, I tried the new version (for Touch) but still cannot access the Configuration menu (same problem). I downloaded the last version twice to be sure and rebooted also my Touch in between. Am I the only one (Berennk since you have the Touch as well)?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #134
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Good suggestions by Berennk.

On the other hand, I tried the new version (for Touch) but still cannot access the Configuration menu (same problem). I downloaded the last version twice to be sure and rebooted also my Touch in between. Am I the only one (Berennk since you have the Touch as well)?
Bah! I should have done some testing with you before uploading the 'fix', but I felt sure that it would work. Anyway, I'll look at it again, and PM you when I have a version for you to test. Sorry about the hassle.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #135
luigibrosse

Quite the opposite. I am the one sorry to bother you all the time.