Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Multics
Enthusiast
Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Question Collections and SONY PRS-T1

I've made several attempts, read the documents and searched/read the forums and haven't found what I'm trying to do.

I'd like the collection names to be the author names listed in author_sort order and then all the books by that author in that collection.

A bonus would be to have the titles in series/series sequence/title order.
I think I found how to do that part, it's getting the collections to work that is failing.

My eyes are glazed over from reading/trying things. I figure that by this time I'm misreading something and/or misinterpreting something and once that is corrected the solution will be easy.

I did find the SONY specific entries in the preferences and made what I thought were the correct changes.

Thanks for any help.

As a side issue with my T1 I seem to have the forward page button bounce so pressing it sometimes results in advancing 2 pages rather then one.
Multics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Use the "aba" (all by author) special collection. See item 3 in the first post of this thread for details.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
What I did is make a custom column (series like) for the Author Name. I put the author name in LN, FN in this column, then set the series number to get them in the order I want.

I will number their first series 1 - 9, the next series 11 - 17, the next 21 - 25. This way, the second digit is the position in series. Non-series books may get numbered 51 - 54. You would also use decimal, first series 1.01 - 1.09, then 2.01 - 2.07, then 3.01 - 3.05.

Set the Sony Plugin to create collections based on this custom column.

You will get a collection named for the Author in the LN, FN format, and then the books in series order (series then position in series or other order that makes sense to you).
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Multics
Enthusiast
Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Multics knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

YEAH!! things look much better. Only one problem left now:

I only want author_sort to contain the first author when there are multiple authors.

More document searching.

I want books with last1, first1 & first1 last1 to strip off anything after last1, first1 for author_sort.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:14 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multics View Post
YEAH!! things look much better. Only one problem left now:

I only want author_sort to contain the first author when there are multiple authors.

More document searching.

I want books with last1, first1 & first1 last1 to strip off anything after last1, first1 for author_sort.
Which solution did you use, "aba" or Pinecone's custom column solution?

If you used "aba", then the solution is to create a new custom column "built from other columns", populate it with the first author by using a template that calls "sublist", then use the "abs" (all by something) feature described in the last post of the thread I mentioned earlier. Use the lookup name of the new custom column as the "name".

If you used Pinecone's solution, then populate the series-like custom column with whatever you want.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Use the "aba" (all by author) special collection. See item 3 in the first post of this thread for details.
I have read the thread referred to and am confused.

I would like to make a unique collection for anthologies but leave my other collections as is although it would be nice to exclude the anthologies from the regular collections.

My current collections are by author and sorted by series number. Strange, but I have my reasons.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I have read the thread referred to and am confused.

I would like to make a unique collection for anthologies but leave my other collections as is although it would be nice to exclude the anthologies from the regular collections.

My current collections are by author and sorted by series number. Strange, but I have my reasons.

Helen
Sorry, but I don't see a question here.

Are you are asking "how do I make collections of anthologies"? If so, then how do you indicate that a book is an anthology? How would you want such collections named?

As for excluding anthologies from the other collections, my guess is that won't be the easiest thing to do. I can imagine ways to proceed, but all of them involve a rather complex custom column with a template that produces a list of all the collections a book should be within.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Multics
Enthusiast

I didn't exactly use either of them but kinda developed one based on all the reading I did:

in metadata plugboards (Not sure if it is really doing anything):
device_db:PRST1 = ([{series:re(([^\s])[^\s]+(\s|$),\1)}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}] -> title)

in sending books to devices I set the template to (management is automatic):
{author_sort}/{series}{series_index:>3s}{title}

in device plugins for the SONY prst1 I have:
Save template: {author_sort} - {series}{series_index:0>2s| | - }{title}
and the comma separated list is: author_sort

in tweaks in specify how sony....:
# Specify how SONY collections are sorted

sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['series'], 'series_index'), (['*'], 'title')]

I've made a couple changes elsewhere but I think they were just for how calibre itself looks and does things locally with nothing to do with the ereader itself.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Multics
Enthusiast

Oh, and on the prst1 I have it sort the books by filename.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I was unclear.
I have my anthologies (mostly) as series named anthology in the regular series column.

I almost understand what to do but can't seem to connect it together.

I realize that the exclusion is probably worth more trouble than it is worth.

To be as specific as I can (forgive repetition)
Currently I have 1700 books on reader wirh 173 collections
All collections are based on author sort
save template - {author_sort}/{title} - {authors}
list of values - author_sort
I use the plugboard from Jackie_w that appends series and series index to authors.

I am not unhappy with the way things are, was just wondering.

Helen
Old 02-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sorry I was unclear.
I have my anthologies (mostly) as series named anthology in the regular series column. ...
What name would you want for collections made for the anthologies?
Old 02-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard

Anthologies would be fine or Anthology or xxxyyy. Only want one collection for all anthologies athough I can understand people wanting more for specific genre anthologies.

My reason for wanting them in one place is that often I want to read a tad more after finishing a book without actually starting a new one, so a short story or three is nice. And/or I don't know what I want to read.

Helen
Old 03-01-2012, 04:49 AM   #13
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Anthologies would be fine or Anthology or xxxyyy. Only want one collection for all anthologies athough I can understand people wanting more for specific genre anthologies.

My reason for wanting them in one place is that often I want to read a tad more after finishing a book without actually starting a new one, so a short story or three is nice. And/or I don't know what I want to read.

Helen
First, apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread. At least the topic is related.

@speakingtohe: you can do what you want by creating a new custom column built from other columns that will contain the value you wish to use for a collection. Lets call it #collections. Do not check the box "Show in tags browser" when creating the column.

I understand that you currently build all collections from author_sort. Assuming I understand correctly, then the template for the #collections column would be
Code:
program: x=field('author_sort'); strcmp(field('series'), 'Anthology', x, 'Anthology', x)
This template will put 'Anthology' into #collections if the series is named that, otherwise it copies author_sort. FYI: the template uses general program mode because in this case, it will be faster than the other two modes. If you want to change the name of the collection, change the second occurrence of 'Anthology'.

You would then use #collections in the 'build series from' box in the device plugin instead of author_sort.

You do not need to show the #collections column on the library spreadsheet.

Last edited by chaley; 03-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard

Thanks for that
I will try it out
Helen
Old 03-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
Multics
Enthusiast

Is there any way to restrict the author_sort field to just the furst author when there are multiple authors?

Tags
collections, prs-t1