Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #16
GeorgieV
GeorgieV began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I second (or 'third') the motion to add separate options for removing unnecessary paragraph spaces during conversion without automatically invoking indent size that effects the entire document and ruining noindent formats for paragraphs selected by the book designer.

A separate option for this will serve a specific purpose and not be tied to the paragraph spacing problem in the calibre conversion process.

Just a suggestion from a loyal user.
GeorgieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I changed the code, so that if you set the specified indent size to zero, then calibre will leave the indents from the input document alone.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #18
GeorgieV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I changed the code, so that if you set the specified indent size to zero, then calibre will leave the indents from the input document alone.
The only problem is that when the indent size is set to zero, it removes ALL indents from the document. That's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak...

Back to the drawing board.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgieV View Post
Quote:
The only problem is that when the indent size is set to zero, it removes ALL indents from the document. That's like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak...
This change will not be effective until the next release, 0.8.19, at which point "calibre WILL leave the indents from the input document alone." if you set the indent size to zero.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-13-2011 at 02:24 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #20
GeorgieV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This change will not be effective until the next release, 0.8.19, at which point "calibre WILL leave the indents from the input document alone." if you set the indent size to zero.
Ahhh....I should have guessed that.

Can't wait for the change, it's excellent that the developer listens to his users. A nice donation is forthcoming.
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #21
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool er...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
.....er....not that i do want this but 'what if' the user wants all the paragraphs to be non-indented (i can't actually think of an instance where i'd use such a setting)? maybe a minus 1 [-1] setting for 'don't change anything' would be more appropriate? just a thought.

Last edited by alansplace; 09-13-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: fixing typos
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you are removing spacing between *all* paragraphs and also removing indenting then your book becomes one giant block of text. Still if you really, really must have your book be one giant block of text, you can use extra css.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #23
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool sorry

Quote:
If you are removing spacing between *all* paragraphs and also removing indenting then your book becomes one giant block of text. Still if you really, really must have your book be one giant block of text, you can use extra css.
ahhhh, now i see the logic. sorry i interjected my 2 cents.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:34 AM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have my default options set to remove spaces, 0 indent and insert blank line.

Will this no longer work as before?

Thanks
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 AM   #25
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I have my default options set to remove spaces, 0 indent and insert blank line.

Will this no longer work as before?

Thanks
Helen
Currently this looks like it will leave all indents alone. You can try .1 and see how noticeable that is or maybe Kovid will carve out a zero indent exemption somehow for your case use.

I too often have remove spaces between paragraphs and insert a blank line between paragraphs set, but I always have a 1.1 indent set in these cases.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:31 AM   #26
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Currently this looks like it will leave all indents alone. You can try .1 and see how noticeable that is or maybe Kovid will carve out a zero indent exemption somehow for your case use.

I too often have remove spaces between paragraphs and insert a blank line between paragraphs set, but I always have a 1.1 indent set in these cases.
Thanks
I actually tried the 0.1 indent last night and it seems to have no indent in calibre's viewer so keeping my fingers crossed.

I really like this style and more and more books seem to be published this way so I can't be the only one.

Helen
Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you set the indent size to zero and also have insert blank line enabled, then it will work as before. i.e. calibre will special case indent size = 0 only if insert blank line is not set.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #28
speakingtohe
Wizard

Well I was wrong 0.1 seems to leave the indent the same as it or change the line spacing so that the lines are all overwritten.

I converted 25 books 20 are very ugly.

Changing the indent back to 0.0 fixed the problem.

Would be nice to keep an option for no indent. A tweak perhaps?

Helen
Old 09-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #29
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
If you set the indent size to zero and also have insert blank line enabled, then it will work as before. i.e. calibre will special case indent size = 0 only if insert blank line is not set.
Sorry I did not see this before posting.

Thank you very much
Old 09-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #30
speakingtohe
Wizard

So once again a small proble.
Was converting a book with 2 or more line spaces between paragraphs.

Generally in this case I convert with indent 0 and remove blank spaces, and do not have insert blank line enabled which generally works. I end up with one line between paragraphs and no indent which is what I want.

Probably a stupid sugestion but could you not leave the zero indent as is and use another number like 0.1 which makes a bit of a mess anyways or a checkbox?

Sorry to be a pest

Helen